Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 AM

4 posts, read 7,309 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]Hi Everybody,

I have been living in London for the past 3.5 years and I am looking to do a secondment to the US with my company. The cities that have been mentioned to me to go to are San Francisco, New York, Chicago and Boston.

Having a look around various threads and talking to people, Chicago seems like a strong contender as the place to go and I wanted to get thoughts on this from people who live there and have maybe done a similar type of move?

Some of the criteria I have been looking at when deciding where to go that I would appreciate people's opinions on is:

- Cost of living
- People - I won't know anyone so going somewhere where it is easy to meet new people is a big plus.
- Nightlife - good bars/nightclubs etc
- Where to live - e.g. where is a reasonably priced (and good) place where people in their 20s-30s tend to live, from the rent I have looked at I'm assuming I will be paying up to $1500 for a one bed apartment in a decent location i.e. good amenities, close to bars, restaurants etc (appreciate you can probably get plenty for cheaper and more expensive but this is the max budget I have set in my head)?
- Your favourite thing about living in Chicago?

Also if any one is 'pro' other cities that may potentially be a good place to move as well feel free to chip in.

Look forward to hearing your responses.

Cheers.[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 AM

720 posts, read 920,329 times
For a $1500.00 budget Chicago is your best option as Boston, NYC, San Fran are far more expensive. I have been to every city on that list, I love Chicago but the crime there sucks, nightlife is good, cost of living is cheap. I must say I was in London in August and I have no idea why you would choose to move to Chicago.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:31 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
For a $1500.00 budget Chicago is your best option as Boston, NYC, San Fran are far more expensive. I have been to every city on that list, I love Chicago but the crime there sucks, nightlife is good, cost of living is cheap. I must say I was in London in August and I have no idea why you would choose to move to Chicago.
Agreed that Chicago is your best bet on $1500/month. The other places are quit expensive and $1500/month isn't going to actually get you that much.

As far as what you say about crime. no. Crime sucks in certain areas and the areas where it sucks are almost always away from the good areas that a transplant spending $1500/month would visit. Chicago is a tale of two cities and the crime rates are a lot safer in these areas. Not to mention that according to a Yale professor, the crime rate is currently at its lowest since the early 1970s.

Anyway, that $1500/mo will stretch furthest in Chicago easily.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
I must say I was in London in August and I have no idea why you would choose to move to Chicago.
I don't know about that. I know quite a few ex pats from the UK and several from London that live here. They all love it.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:23 PM

410 posts, read 492,286 times
Quote:
Crime - the crime that gets Chicago its notorious rep for death which is broadcast worldwide - is mostly concentrated in select SS neighborhoods. The media hates particulars and loves to paint in broad strokes. Good for some cities, bad for others. The inner West Side ain't pretty either, but most of the crime & stray bullets happen in select SS communties.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I don't know about that. I know quite a few ex pats from the UK and several from London that live here. They all love it.
Yep. I'm friends with two of them myself who have been here for 15 and 20 years, though one left not long ago to go back to England, but not for "I'm tired of this city!" reasons. Both loved Chicago absolutely. I've met other London expats who have been here at least 10 years too.

London is the greater city, of course, but that doesn't mean these people are going to hate certain other cities.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:37 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2910 View Post
[LEFT]

- Cost of living
- People - I won't know anyone so going somewhere where it is easy to meet new people is a big plus.
- Nightlife - good bars/nightclubs etc
- Where to live - e.g. where is a reasonably priced (and good) place where people in their 20s-30s tend to live, from the rent I have looked at I'm assuming I will be paying up to $1500 for a one bed apartment in a decent location i.e. good amenities, close to bars, restaurants etc (appreciate you can probably get plenty for cheaper and more expensive but this is the max budget I have set in my head)?
- Your favourite thing about living in Chicago?

Also if any one is 'pro' other cities that may potentially be a good place to move as well feel free to chip in.

Look forward to hearing your responses.

Cheers.[/LEFT]

Cost of living - Chicago's the most affordable of the cities you cited

People - Plenty of ways to create new networks as a transplant to Chicago. Your british accent will be a plus. You know how in Love Actually the goofy college kid goes to a bar in Milwaukee and quickly finds himself in a threesome? That's not going to happen. But it could.

Nightlife - Yes

Where to live - Generally, you'll want to look near CTA stops between Roosevelt and Sheridan on the Red Line, Merchandise Mart to Rockwell on the Brown Line, Medical District to Logan Square on the Blue Line. These will be areas with more nightlife and a population with more 20/30 somethings.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:22 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
London is the greater city, of course, but that doesn't mean these people are going to hate certain other cities.
Damn well better be with nearly a 2,000 year head start.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:23 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,359 times
London isn't a better city. Their downtown sucks, their food isn't as good, they don't have our lakefront, festivals, and they don't have American sports. Enough said!

Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 PM

410 posts, read 492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
London isn't a better city. Their downtown sucks, their food isn't as good, they don't have our lakefront, festivals, and they don't have American sports. Enough said!
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I never really liked London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago