Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:03 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Who am I, Merriam feckin' Webster? Am I your personal reference librarian?
No, you're the person who insisted there is a difference between the words. (Did you forget that already?) A question was asked. You responded as if you had an answer. When asked to clarify the answer, it now becomes apparent that you don't actually have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
I don't think that "sign-signage" is worth getting excited about, but "bartender-mixologist" is just ridiculous..

Shades of "elevator operator---transportation engineer", or "garbageman---sanitary engineer"---skip the pretension.

Last edited by MassVt; 03-23-2014 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: better word

Old 03-23-2014, 11:56 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Who am I, Merriam feckin' Webster? Am I your personal reference librarian? Let's start with the obvious that one is singular while the other is plural, though the former can apply as an attribute to more than one object collectively.

Is this a thread about the new L cars or another of Irishtom's "let me conspicuously fly my 'Regular Joe' credentials by trying to deflate that which is barely even inflated" exercise?
The question was what is the distinction between signs and signage. Both are plural. I assume the latter refers to a system as opposed to an unrelated collection, but Mr. Webster isn't returning my phone calls...

Old 03-23-2014, 11:58 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
You're nasty! You're not suppose to look.
Take a book or newspaper with you so that you have something more constructive to stare at.
To quote my kid, "well, duh."

That is obviously what people try and do, but it's not quite that simple when the crotch in question is actually looming into your personal space. I get the argument about wanting more space in the middle. But I'd prefer more of the Brown Line style trains where it's a single seat but facing forward.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
No, you're the person who insisted there is a difference between the words. (Did you forget that already?) A question was asked. You responded as if you had an answer. When asked to clarify the answer, it now becomes apparent that you don't actually have one.
I already provided two examples of the differences in the portion of my post which you truncated when responding to it, but I guess you weren't sharp enough to pick up on that part. C'est la vie. Now, do you have anything more to say about the new L trains?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 PM

190 posts, read 315,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Offhand I can't think of a situation where the word signs wouldn't express the same notion as signage. "We want the signs to be visually consistent" works as well as "we want the signage to be visually consistent". I think it's just the modern penchant for pompous syllable multiplication.
I take "signage" to be more of a branding term, which kind of assumes a visually consistent identity without having to mention it, not just the physical idea of a sign.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:14 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I'll try to get this back on track. The new trains are a huge improvement.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:34 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Eh, more a response to changing population of many neighborhoods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post

I think the seating that is more like NYC is kind of response to the fact that that you really don't have as many little old ladies with their "brown paper Polish luggage" toting things with them or is gle mom's with a couple of sick kids headed to a clinic via El as much as you have SINGLES wedged into El trains like sardines that would rather hang on a strap than sit is such a way to block in their kid or packages...

So I guess I sorta agree that this does allow for more efficent use of available space in an El car but I can't really say that the overall situation is an improvement -- I bet some of those little old ladies rode the ael dozens of time a week instead the AM trip to an office and PM trip back home. Ditto for moms that would be carting their kids all over the city vs the much smaller families that now probably have at least SUV or Prius to run errands...

Old 03-24-2014, 06:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
As of this morning's wreck at O'Hare, that will take some doing..

The train actually hopped the rail and started to ascend the escalator...

Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Police: Commuter train derails at Chicago airport | www.ajc.com

Train jumps tracks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago