Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 AM

27 posts, read 155,526 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Chicago from NYC in February and I would love some suggestions and opinions on good neighborhoods to possibly live in. Neither of us have spent time in Chicago so we're going in sort of blind to the experience. We're both in our upper 30's, newly married and expecting our first child next summer. I've lived in NYC and have been here for 15 years. I live in Tribeca right now and the attributes of my neighborhood that I like are similar to what I would look for in Chicago. Somewhere quiet, with many neighborhood bars and restaurants in walking distance but not filled with crowds or tourists, etc. I'd love to live near a park if possible. We currently live in a luxury apartment building so we're most likely looking for the same type of experience and can spend between $1,500 to $2,200 for a 2 Bedroom / 2 Bath. I'm going to work on North Columbus (Gold Coast?) and hope to have a short commute (between 20 & 30 minutes). Anyway, any suggetions would be much appreciated. This board has been fantastic and is extremely helpful to Chicago Newbies! Looking forward to getting there soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Sounds like what you're looking for is a lakeshore highrise in Lincoln Park, perhaps Lakeview.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:01 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I agree. Gold coast has lots of high rises as well, but the tourists would probably drive you mad.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times
There are a ton of nice areas around Chicago honestly, but the fact that you are going to be with child really changes many aspects here. Living in a high rise sounds great and all, but what is the child to do when he/she is about 5-7 and is looking for playmates when most of the building is either occupied by old people or single yuppies with no kids? This means no playmates for little jr.

There is a nice area that comes to mind which is very safe, clean, has all the conviences you mention, and won't cost you an arm and a leg. I would check out around Albany Park/Irving Park/Ravenswood area from basically Ashland on the east to Pulaski on the west and from Addison on the south to Lawrence on the north. There are plenty of good routes to and from downtown from this area, not to mention that you should have no problem parking if you bring a car which I would if I were you (it makes Chicago so much easier to get around as the public transit here isn't the greatest in the world and you will have a baby to top it all off).

Other areas that are rather quiet, yet safe would be down on the south side in Garfield Ridge and the Clearing neighborhood. Those two neighborhoods are loaded with young families usually with lots of kids. In that area take a ride down Archer Avenue from about Harlem Ave east to Pulaski. Anywhere through there is a good neighborhood. Areas east of Pulaski can get rough in parts.

Here is a map to help you out. http://www.dreamtown.com/images/maps/chicago-neighborhood-map.gif (broken link)

Old 12-10-2007, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 17,024 times
Default I lived in a great building that you'd like!

Tribeca,
I've never lived in New York, but I love having entertainment, restaurants, stores, theaters, and bars within walking distance (I drive more than 120 miles/day for my commute, so once I get home, the last thing I want to do is get into a car.).
The building is in the East Lakeview neighborhood at 3000 N. Sheridan, and was built in 1929. It has a doorman, maintenance staff, mail room, etc. It is a beautiful building, just off of Lake Shore Drive and a few blocks away from Lake Michigan. It's really a prime building in a prime location. Two years ago I was paying $2000/month for a 1600 sf 2BR/2BA on the 16th floor with views of the lake, Wrigley Field, and west Chicago (That's right: my unit essentially took up one side of the building and had windows facing in 3 directions.). Construction is rock-solid: never heard my neighbors.
There was a fair number of younger kids in the building, but the neighborhood certainly has plenty of kids to play with.
Dave

Old 12-10-2007, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 17,024 times
Default Oh, some stuff I forgot.

Tribeca,
I forgot to mention that 3000 N. Sheridan is a few blocks from the park (cut across it to get to the lake) and 5-10 minutes away from the Loop (driving) and maybe 20 minutes away by bus (the 151, which stops just outside the building). It's really a great location, and I'd probably still be there if I hadn't gotten this crazy idea 2 years ago to "own something" (Yeah, at the peak of the housing bubble!).
Dave

Old 12-10-2007, 03:28 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
I would also check out the South Loop. They have a lot of highrises and its very close to Grant Park. Otherwise, I would check out the highrises in Lincoln Park.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 14,771 times
Hi,

I would look into the following neighborhoods.

Roscoe Village
Lakeview (southport area)
West loop

check out craislist for some places...there are a ton of devolpers renting out luxury condos at good prices.

hope this helps!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:10 PM

27 posts, read 155,526 times
Thanks everyone for your help! This board is truly a lifesaver. After living in NYC I'm very familiar with how to look for an apartment and the differences from neighborhood to neighborhood. Once again I have spent no time whatsoever in Chicago so this is really helpful.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 PM

356 posts, read 542,220 times
How many cars do you plan on having, if any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago