Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

South Lakeview. I love the transit options and the fact I don't need to mess with owning a car. I love that within a 10-12 minute walk I can go to 7-11, White Hen, liquor store, Dominicks, Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, World Market, Best Buy, and about 100 little mom and pop places. It's just so easy to walk most anywhere I need to be....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 PM

9 posts, read 37,186 times
Default Keeneyville Swamp Rats

Ever hear of the Keeneyville swamp rats? I was one of those growing up there in the 1950's. Nice to hear the place is still appreciated. I posted an article about it - somewhere on this site.

Later, Deano52

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name View Post
I'm in Keeneyville (Roselle) on an acre and a half of wooded property. It's quiet, dark and I have friends over for bonfire parties in the nicer weather and am planning another if it gets to the high 20's soon. I'm a mile and a half to the train which makes for a 45 minute ride downtown. Schaumburg is right here with it's Woodfield mall and I'm a mile from the Stratford Square mall, several golf courses, country clubs, resorts and forest preserves. Plenty of nightclubs, restaurants, etc.
You can keep the city life, have fun with finding parking and the thieves.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:25 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
I live in Lincoln Square.

I love it because it's walkable, clean, safe, and comfortable. I can walk to restaurants, bars, the movie theater, parks, shops.... did I mention bars? (It's not a "bar" area, but if you've gotta pick something to be able to walk to....)

I can park on the street without driving around for a half hour. There's a nice age mix. It's not the most racially/ethnically diverse part of town, but is still better than, say.... Montana. It's convenient to areas I like to visit but don't necessarily care to live. It's not TOO expensive (I moved here several years ago, and my landlord has barely raised my rent even though the neighborhood has gotten more expensive in that time... knock on wood) and has a nice mixture of an urban and almost a small-town feel. It's on the el and close to the Metra. There's food from all over the place (great thai).

I could go on and on. It's my favorite neighborhood in Chicago.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 PM

391 posts, read 1,303,250 times
Quote:
I'm in Keeneyville (Roselle) on an acre and a half of wooded property. It's quiet, dark and I have friends over for bonfire parties in the nicer weather and am planning another if it gets to the high 20's soon. I'm a mile and a half to the train which makes for a 45 minute ride downtown. Schaumburg is right here with it's Woodfield mall and I'm a mile from the Stratford Square mall, several golf courses, country clubs, resorts and forest preserves. Plenty of nightclubs, restaurants, etc.
I'm one of the ones that got mugged. 3 broke ribs in the process. Also found out I have the beginning I have the beginnings of lung cancer. All in a city I just moved to and am alone in, and I still wouldn't trade it for the burbs or country life.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:19 PM

302 posts, read 922,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I live in Edgewater. I can walk two blocks to the train, two to the lake, two to Dominick's (although I won't go there again - i would rather walk a couple more blocks to Jewel since they pander a little more to those of us that don't have cars). My bank is a little bit further of a walk - it's about 8 blocks away. I can see the sunrise and sunset from my apartment.

The biggest things, however, are having the lake and the train so close by.
I live in Edgewater as well, and I couldn't think of a better answer.

Though I will add, I thoroughly enjoy walking around and taking in the shops and restaurants in Andersonville....when it's warmer.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
I'm one of the ones that got mugged. 3 broke ribs in the process. Also found out I have the beginning I have the beginnings of lung cancer. All in a city I just moved to and am alone in, and I still wouldn't trade it for the burbs or country life.
Sorry to hear that man.

My prayers are with you. I am glad you went to the doc even though you found out worse news. Get better.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
You're not alone. Even those of us at a distance care,and will keep you in our prayers. Please keep us posted and let's hope they caught it early. Best wishes and thoughts to you.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:15 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Easy there, buddy. Sounds like you enjoy your life out there. Killer for you. No one knocked on the burbs in this thread. It's about places we LOVE, not places we hate.

For the record, I like not having to WORRY about parking. The train and cabs are close at hand.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,198 times
Hyde Park. It's been one of the most diverse, integrated communities in the country for about 50 years. Beautiful architecture. Not cheap, but my loft is a fraction of what it would cost on the north side. More culture and restaurants than anywhere else in Chicago but the north side lakefront, and a 25-minute drive away from those amenities. In the middle of the quickly appreciating south side real estate market. Laid back, friendly, educated, hip and liberal.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:33 PM

85 posts, read 398,675 times
Andersonville - nice community feeling + the lack of chain stores make this area great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago