Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:29 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
So if you don't live in/love Chicago, it's somewhat like dating someone who isn't particularly attractive and also, as it turns out, has a bad attitude.
Ha!

Nelson Algren's famous quote about loving a woman with a broken nose comes to mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:32 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I would take the word "metropolitan" out of that sentence and say that I'd want to find another state to live in if I lived in most of Chicago suburbs, too. Other than a handful of older, denser inner-ring suburbs , I don't see much in Chicago's burbs that is distinguishable from the burbs of, say, Dallas, where taxes and housing costs are much lower. If you're going to live among tract homes, strip malls, and parking lots, why pay more than you have to for it?
Funny, I do see a difference from Dallas suburbs in many suburbs outside inner ring: TREES! Unless there has been a rash of mature trees poppoing up out of nowhere, when I scouted Dallas suburbs for possible move, there were some pockets of areas with more mature trees, but the fact that so much is so recently built and that it's more prairie than woods, there is a lack of consistent greenery like you have here. I also didn't see the quantity of forest preserves and green space either. Maybe it's in the eye of the beholder, but my surroundings are very important. I also consider sidewalks, recreational trails, and zoning when I consider areas. I'm not one for the Houston vibe of $500K home next door to a strip club which is next door to a pre-school.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:40 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Funny, I do see a difference from Dallas suburbs in many suburbs outside inner ring: TREES! Unless there has been a rash of mature trees poppoing up out of nowhere, when I scouted Dallas suburbs for possible move, there were some pockets of areas with more mature trees, but the fact that so much is so recently built and that it's more prairie than woods, there is a lack of consistent greenery like you have here. I also didn't see the quantity of forest preserves and green space either. Maybe it's in the eye of the beholder, but my surroundings are very important. I also consider sidewalks, recreational trails, and zoning when I consider areas. I'm not one for the Houston vibe of $500K home next door to a strip club which is next door to a pre-school.
I'd agree and add that, on the surface, a McMansion outside Dallas probably looks the same as a McMansion in the far-flung burbs outside of Chicago, but spend a year in Dallas and watch the seasons change vs. a year outside of Chicago, and it will be VERY different. Each person is going to have their own preference, of course, but there is a noticeable difference between living in TX and IL in terms of your surroundings. Maybe it doesn't matter to someone that spends most of the time indoors, but it will be different outside for sure.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
You could make a similar comparison between Illinois and any New England state, especially VT, NH, or ME, which are all much more forested than IL. Northern New England is like one gigantic string of Christmas trees, whereas in IL, you see many more deciduous trees...

In regard to Dallas, though, let's not forget the summer weather. 90+ straight days above 90 degrees does absolutely nothing for me...

Old 05-15-2014, 12:00 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
So if you don't live in/love Chicago, it's somewhat like dating someone who isn't particularly attractive and also, as it turns out, has a bad attitude.
That's how it feels to be stuck anywhere you don't like. I can't really relate to that with Chicago, since I loved it the second I stepped off the train, I moved here by choice, and I stay here by choice. I can relate to that feeling from other places I've lived, though.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:57 PM

49 posts, read 90,382 times
Quote:
Sure, the topography is a bit different, but I immediately saw what nearnorth was referring to when I went to Dallas last month to scout it out for my July move - the same generic suburbs you have here like Naperville and Orland are found in just slightly different form as Plano, Frisco, etc., as far as newer housing stock, commercial districts, corporate parks, and the like are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago