Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 02:40 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,872 times

Advertisements

I was talking about personal finance and wealth building to my coworkers just before a meeting was to start. I am a big supporter of wealth building and business ownership,etc....

So anyways, it seems like the majority of the people sitting at the table all held the same sentiment about money: "You can only buy so much stuff, why do you need that much money".

I found their replies to be very telling. I'm sure a lot of people think as they do. What was really unfortunate is, the remarks were said in a matter of fact tone, as if I'm the dumbass.

I've always equated wealth with: 1)Options and 2) Freedom

Having wealth gives me the OPTION to work or NOT if I don't want to. If I choose not to work that gives me the freedom to pursue other opportunities.

It never has been about "buying stuff". It's about having 100% economic independence. Being totally free of financial obligations, in terms of debts and having to rely on anyone for income. That's what wealth is to me.

Mind you, I am not saying "don't buy stuff", of course you should enjoy your life and live comfortable. I'm talking SPECIFICALLY about the thought/thinking process as it relates to how people view money. Not whether you should or should not buy anything.

Do you think most people equate wealth/money with "buying stuff"?

(For those that want to get technical, I'm using the words wealth/money to mean the same thing)

Last edited by Rocco Barbosa; 12-07-2013 at 02:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 02:42 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,751 times
To an extent, I agree.

But, sometimes, if you deprive yourself so much - it's not the best move either.

Everything in moderation.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:50 AM

30,543 posts, read 16,236,133 times
I think a lot of people equate money with wealth.

There is a difference.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:17 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,258,187 times
To be fair, money was created to be an instrument of trade. It represents your purchasing power. So yeah technically money is your ability to buy stuff.

OTOH, you don't have to buy stuff for yourself. You can always buy stuff for people you love or people in need. Some people like Bill Gates like to use money to buy things that can change the world.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
I'm with you.

Aside from the essentials - and the occasional cheeseburger - I don't spend a lot. For me I think it comes from being the last child and always getting shafted because my elder brothers got more spent on them (for example, each got a car for their 16th birthday - I worked for 2 years to buy my first at age 20!).

I would rather have money in the bank (or investment account!) than a new xbox, 65" tv and surround sound.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:15 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
I'm not a "stuff" person, and neither is my husband. I want money for the same reason you do. To have the flexibility to do what I choose, rather than what I have to do to pay my bills.

But yes, I do think that most people equate money with the ability to buy more stuff. That is why so much of the population lives paycheck to paycheck.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:02 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Yes.

There's two points of wealth. For the overwhelming vast majority, it buys stuff. This includes the fact that money can buy you options and influence. Very few have so much money that wealth has lost this meaning since they can effectively buying anything they want at any time they want at a whim. The second use of money is as a playing chip, a high score board if you will. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Most people look at money as both.

For all those saying they don't equate it with buying stuff, you're lying to yourselves. Savings buys future consumption. It might not even be your own consumption. Some people, especially later in life, want to afford the option that having the ability to buy stuff gives them to their heirs as well. They get more value in hoping that their heirs will use that money wisely, build upon it, and pass it down. Generational wealth.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
So anyways, it seems like the majority of the people sitting at the table all held the same sentiment about money: "You can only buy so much stuff, why do you need that much money".

I found their replies to be very telling.
Meh. More like the mis-stating of truisms that happens all the time.
to wit... "You only NEED TO buy so much stuff, therefore...".

Another commonly mis-stated phrase is about the love of money and the root of evil.
Many confuse that with money by itself and the root of evil.

Quote:
I've always equated wealth with: 1) Options and 2) Freedom
I think most people are too busy worrying about covering the rent to consider the distinctions.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

(For those that want to get technical, I'm using the words wealth/money to mean the same thing)
Yes. To them, the point of money is to buy stuff.
That's not the point of money.
The point of money is to give you options.

It's like education. People think you should study hard and get As so you can get a degree or a job or some finite thing.
No.
You get a good education because it gives you options.

Options, freedom, flexibility, whatever you want to call it.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,751 times
Ask me 2 months ago and I would give you an easy answer that more money saved is better.

Ask me now and I will tell you that there is a fine line between saving and spending. Sometimes, it's good to spend and not necessarily the wrong thing to do.

Money is a form for good and services, that's it. The more you have, the more you can afford - whether it be goods, services, or free time.

But the way you get there has to be also appropriate and you must be careful not to sacrifice it all for the sake of a few more zeros in your bank account.

I'm 31 years old. I'm doing what I think is a fine job of saving for the future... but after my friend died of liver cancer (non alcoholic) at age 30... you begin to realize that moderation is key. Saving for the sake of saving and sacrificing all your early years is not the answer (for me). A combination of both is best. Tomorrow may come, but it's never guaranteed. Atleast save some for tomorrow, but use some for today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance