Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:23 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times

Advertisements

Any specific recs for authentic, real-deal, non-touristy eats?
Deep dish pizza? I see Bourdain went to Burt's Place.
Besides pizza, what are other must-try Chicago fare?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 PM

255 posts, read 583,725 times
For pizza, try the Art of Pizza.

Frankly, I can't think of anything else besides a good Chicago hot dog that is really a Chicago staple. Perhaps a good Italian Beef? Mr Beef On Orleans was always my favorite, though I haven't been in a couple of years..... I think they are still cash only.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:23 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Pequod's Pizza in Lincoln Park. Other Chicago fare places? I guess you'd have to get a Hot Dog and Italian Beef...the King of hot dogs in Chicago, Hot Doug's, is closing in October. They are really good, but long lines when it's nice out and especially now that he announced his going away. You can get regular stuff there but they will make sausage out of anything - big time gourmet sausages in a non pretentious atmosphere. Franks n Dawgs is good for that type of thing too. Otherwise there are some downtown if you want just a regular Chicago dog. I can't think of many that do it terribly.

If downtown, then a place like Mr. Beef for Italian Beef. Other than that, you can get a lot of food in Chicago and some of it is near the top in the US if you're into trendy or fine dining too.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:20 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Deep dish pizza IS kind'a touristy. I suggest going to Phil's at 35th and Aberdeen and getting a traditional "old neighborhood" thin crust cut in squares. While you're down that way stop at 35th St. Red Hots (just a couple blocks west of Sox Park) for a natural casing Vienna hot dog and fresh cut fries. IMO there's no better hot dog stand in the city.

Stop at Ricobene's on 26th St. for an Italian breaded steak, a South Side treat where they take a skirt steak, best the bejesus out of it until it's about a square foot large, then bread and deep fry it, then fold it up and serve it on an Italian roll with red gravy. Ricobene's also has good pizza and Italian beef. Freddie's down that way also has a good breaded steak.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 05-09-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 02:26 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
^ there are other cities for thin crust za

Old 05-09-2014, 02:38 PM

741 posts, read 764,249 times
Burt's for deep dish.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
^ there are other cities for thin crust za
Chicago has it's own style of thin crust; I eat east coast style now in St. Augustine, made by New Jersey and New York people, and it isn't like Chicago thin crust (though it's very good). And Chicago Thin isn't touristy; regardless of it's merits it's the most popular type of pizza in the city. It's what I grew up on in the 50s and 60s; I only ate deep dish when I took girls downtown on a date, I called it date pizza.

Every visitor who goes to the touristy parts of the city is exposed to deep dish, I submit it might be more interesting to go to Bridgeport, an old fashioned ethnic neighborhood, and get Phil's. By the way, Ricobene's, besides thin crust, also makes an excellent deep dish Uno's clone.

But whatever way you go you'll get a good pizza, most of the deep dish recommended here is, IMO, pretty good. My favorite deep dish is Lou Malnati's, they also do a first rate Chicago Thin. You can go to Malnati's and try both types.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Since you mentioned Bourdain, I thought I'd throw this out there. It's kind of fun to see which restaurants have been featured on shows. Enter location at the top of the page.

Restaurants on TV, Diners Drive-Ins and Dives, Man vs Food, Best Thing I Ever Ate & more

Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Home Run Inn on 31st has my favorite pizza in the city. It's at the city limits in a Mexican neighborhood called Little Village.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
I've always been a Gino's East lover for deep dish.

But if you're talking about other foods, my recommendations are:

Italian beef-Johnny's but it's not in the city. It's near North Avenue and Harlem Avenue just west of the city. Now I've had a lot of Italian beef sammiches from a lot of different places but their spices are just something else. Their Italian ice is also awesome.

Al's near UIC, it's on Taylor Street. Awesome spices they have in their beef and if you go at this time of the year, that little Italian ice stand across the street will be open. I used to go there quite often as a student at UIC. Their Chicago style hot dogs are also pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago