Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:55 AM

741 posts, read 764,404 times

Advertisements

If there can be a library for Reagan and Bush II ... having one for President Obama would be the lesser of the "crimes," as I view it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The record of all the "projections" of how wonderful it might be use some massive public funding to serve as "impetus" for renewed investment is very grim -- even when places like Navy Pier do attract visitors the money they spend tends to go into the pockets of idiot insiders with shamefully marked up prices to support their massive campaign contributions to maintain their lease rights...

Even in a "best case scenario" (like putting this things way down on the far SE side to draw folks to otherwise desolate area -- South Works : Curbed Chicago ) the risk of such a thing working to siphon off more sustainable long term investment for a "quick hit" of lucrative state funded new construction is an extremely likely and unpleasant prospect. Think about the likelihood of such a library being so "grand" and out of scale with SE side needs for basic infrastructure and this looks like one of "city in the middle of rain forest" kind of bad ideas from 40 year old central planning failures...

I have no problem with private donors giving till it hurts and funding something that is every bit as grand as Bilboa's art museum but the State of Illinois and all its problems ought to steer clear of any financial backing.

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/20/44/73/4345571/3/960x540.jpg

They could get the same finance director, he is a Chicago kind of guy -- Former Guggenheim Bilbao Finance Chief Sentenced for Thefts | All Art News

Old 05-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Count me amongst the folks who believe a Presidential library should be built with private funds. Illinois and Chicago have serious financial problems and providing a big chunk of money to build the library would be another mistake. Let the U of C fund it. The President ought to find it easy to solicit the money from grass roots supporters. Didn't Bill Clinton raise the funds for his library's construction (I'm forgetting). I know I sent a couple of checks in response to an appeal to supporters.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:00 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Count me amongst the folks who believe a Presidential library should be built with private funds. Illinois and Chicago have serious financial problems and providing a big chunk of money to build the library would be another mistake. Let the U of C fund it. The President ought to find it easy to solicit the money from grass roots supporters. Didn't Bill Clinton raise the funds for his library's construction (I'm forgetting). I know I sent a couple of checks in response to an appeal to supporters.
I totally agree with this. There is absolutely no reason for the state to be involved.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:14 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
And honestly, this could backfire in a very big way for Illinois and Chicago. Let's not forget that Chicago has become the right's punching bag. I could see them jumping all over this and shining the national spotlight on these fiscal decisions, and that's not something Obama wants. I could see the library going to NY or Hawaii for no other reason than to avoid a huge mess this has the potential of turning into.

I'm not sure why these politicians aren't focusing more energy on securing private funding for this museum.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:25 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default This is simple to answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
And honestly, this could backfire in a very big way for Illinois and Chicago. Let's not forget that Chicago has become the right's punching bag. I could see them jumping all over this and shining the national spotlight on these fiscal decisions, and that's not something Obama wants. I could see the library going to NY or Hawaii for no other reason than to avoid a huge mess this has the potential of turning into.

I'm not sure why these politicians aren't focusing more energy on securing private funding for this museum.
... guys like Madigan learned long ago is easier to sucker voters in many areas into a sort of "fan club" for their own poltical ends. Madigan did not get to where he is by being dumb, he "goes along to get along" and the kind of voters that will be most impressed by "the state kicking $100M to honor OUR most important president" are EXACTLY why Madigan gets into the kind of "fan club" that guys like Rahm stay locked out of...

If the STATE puts up the money the STATE also gets to sign the contracts with developers and land owners and that means lots of oportunities to put money back into one's "campaign war chest"

This article, from two decades back, spells out PRECISELY how Madigan has, like a cockroach after a nuclear war, thrived:
What is mike madigan up to?

Old 05-20-2014, 01:08 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Wait! Picasso and the Bean are not enough. Chicago needs another international tourist attraction. It does't have the venues for wealthy tourists as does New York: Statue of Liberty, Broadway and Off-Broadway, Fifth Avenue, the diamond district, Fulton Street, the Rockettes and Radio City, Wall Street, Central Park and the hansom cabs, top sail schooners to sail New York's famous Harbor, tickets for the late night national broadcast from the Ed Sullivan Theatre, Rockefeller Center, and the many art galleries in and near Manhattan.

Chicago could, and it should, do better but it is usually obsessing over 'something else'.

Taxpayers funded the Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield. There are other Lincoln museums in the state. Illinois' only son who was born in the state, educated in Central Illinois, and became a United States President has been ignored. The Reagan tribute consists of memorabilia of one-of-kind items that cannot be seen elsewhere. It is found inside the college where he earned a double degree. His museum is in California.

No other United States President was born in Illinois. Obama is Hawaii's native son; it should be built there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post

Old 05-20-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
No other United States President was born in Illinois. Obama is Hawaii's native son; it should be built there.
Fine with me, and probably most other Chicagoans. Let them build it in Hawaii.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:26 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Obama's library obviously should be in Chicago, this is where he started his career (in academia and politics). For better or worse, he's known as a Chicago politician. I don't really see anyone complaining that Lincoln's museum should be in Kentucky or Indiana.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:11 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Make sure to return your books to this library on time. Overdue fees will be handled by the IRS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago