Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Taking meds for psychiatric reasons is not something that should be undertaken lightly. Sometimes they are life-changing for the benefit of the patient, but not always. And some psychotropic drugs can cause permanent changes to a person - not always beneficial ones, either. Some of them, even ones you've probably seen advertised on television, can take months to safely taper off of, and cause severe problems if they are just stopped cold turkey either intentionally, or because the patient loses financial means to get their prescription. Not to mention that some of them can cost over $1,000 per month without insurance. They also come with severe side-effects, some of which are easier to handle than others, and some of which are actually counter-productive in many situations. I know it seems like just getting meds is an easy answer, but it's unfortunately far more complicated than the popular media and press lead the general public to believe. When you hear stories about people "going off their meds," it's often implied that doing so was some sort of rash, irresponsible decision. And sometimes it is. But often it's because the meds cause more problems than they are solving for that individual. Mental illness is something people don't like to look at because it's complex and usually has no easy answers.

As mental illnesses go, anxiety and ADHD are usually relatively less stigmatized than others, simply because they're kind of like extreme forms of emotions everyone has sometimes. But they can still be seriously debilitating.

I addressed the cost of meds in my post.

Regardless of what you may think, people with these kinds of challenges are far better seeing a professional and following their advice, than not doing that and taking the advice of pedestrians on an online forum. I never said it would be simple, I said addressing the core issues should be her priority and I stand by that advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I addressed the cost of meds in my post.

Regardless of what you may think, people with these kinds of challenges are far better seeing a professional and following their advice, than not doing that and taking the advice of pedestrians on an online forum. I never said it would be simple, I said addressing the core issues should be her priority and I stand by that advice.
I serve on a state board having to do with oversight of residential institutions serving people who require guardianship due to their own limitation (including, but not only, psychiatric limitations) and am intimately familiar with people who have taken every drug I mentioned (and many I didn't). I did encourage her to seek help, but I also told her to make sure the prescribing doctor describes the risks of the medication, because in my experience many doctors do not do so especially when they are not in a long-term doctor-patient relationship with the patient. Patronizing patients by not giving them the whole story doesn't really help matters, something the O.P. alluded to having experienced in her own posts.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Your response in reply to my post:

Quote:
Taking meds for psychiatric reasons is not something that should be undertaken lightly. Sometimes they are life-changing for the benefit of the patient, but not always. And some psychotropic drugs can cause permanent changes to a person - not always beneficial ones, either. Some of them, even ones you've probably seen advertised on television, can take months to safely taper off of, and cause severe problems if they are just stopped cold turkey either intentionally, or because the patient loses financial means to get their prescription. Not to mention that some of them can cost over $1,000 per month without insurance. They also come with severe side-effects, some of which are easier to handle than others, and some of which are actually counter-productive in many situations. I know it seems like just getting meds is an easy answer, but it's unfortunately far more complicated than the popular media and press lead the general public to believe. When you hear stories about people "going off their meds," it's often implied that doing so was some sort of rash, irresponsible decision. And sometimes it is. But often it's because the meds cause more problems than they are solving for that individual. Mental illness is something people don't like to look at because it's complex and usually has no easy answers.
doesn't quite compute with what you're saying later here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I serve on a state board having to do with oversight of residential institutions serving people who require guardianship due to their own limitation (including, but not only, psychiatric limitations) and am intimately familiar with people who have taken every drug I mentioned (and many I didn't). I did encourage her to seek help, but I also told her to make sure the prescribing doctor describes the risks of the medication, because in my experience many doctors do not do so especially when they are not in a long-term doctor-patient relationship with the patient. Patronizing patients by not giving them the whole story doesn't really help matters, something the O.P. alluded to having experienced in her own posts.

When someone doesn't like to take meds, but appears to need them, the last thing they need is some stranger advising them about all the ills of taking medication. You are not saying in your first post, as you claim in your second post, that you're simply advising the op to ask the doctor about the risks - you're providing reasons to be fearful. And needlessly, I might add, as nowhere in my post do I indicate taking prescription meds should be taken lightly, as you have implied. If a person cannot take public transportation, it appears the benefits may outweigh the risk, although we need to leave that up to a doctor to decide.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 PM

9 posts, read 12,158 times
From what I'm reading I do believe that you could be a real person and are not phishing. I am in the same boat as you. Except I am not traveling alone I have my fiance and my dog. We are homeless right now. He is unable to find a job. I have mental issues. I have severe anxiety and bipolar. But I get ssi. Medication will help you. It takes a bit of trial and error but when you find the right meds they are a life saver. You have a chemical imbalance in your brain medication corrects that imbalance. I have finally found a medication that helps eliminate my anxiety. What you need to do first is apply for Medicaid. Do not do anything like move away if your not completely stable.
We are living on the streets now because of my dog Angel. Shelters dont take pets. We are making the move up to Boston on the first when I get my ssi money. I personally wouldn't suggest staying at a mission. I too am not "straight" I personally think if you do go to Chicago that it will be alot more stress on you to listen to conservative remarks about gay people. It wouldn't do you any favors.
But listen to the people on here about Chicago. Also please do try and take the bus or train. You might even be able to buy out two seats so you dont have to sit next to anyone. It would be cheaper. I really feel like the cab ride will take all of your money. With $400 you could go to a much better place. We picked Boston cause we know people in mass and NH. We have no attachments where we live now.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:28 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey1881 View Post
We are living on the streets now because of my dog Angel. Shelters dont take pets.
No, they don't. But there is crisis foster care available:

Crisis Foster Care | Pets Are Like Family

Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Animals are not people. If you're ability to get a roof over your head is dependent on getting rid of the dog, then get rid of the dang dog. It annoys the hell out of me when people treat their animals like children (not saying you do, but you know what I mean). Even if you get a dog as a puppy, it's still going to die in 10-14 years of natural causes, it's what dogs do.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Animals are not people. If you're ability to get a roof over your head is dependent on getting rid of the dog, then get rid of the dang dog. It annoys the hell out of me when people treat their animals like children (not saying you do, but you know what I mean). Even if you get a dog as a puppy, it's still going to die in 10-14 years of natural causes, it's what dogs do.

you're probably not a pet lover. I don't treat my pets like children and know dang well that they aren't people, but that doesn't mean I don't love them. I'm sick of people who think pets are disposable items to be tossed out when they become inconvenient. PLENTY of people out there in the world are willing to make temporary sacrifices like this if it meant keeping their pets. You don't know, maybe their dog is a pitbull or some other type of dog where giving it away would be no different from putting a bullet in its head. Now obviously, sometimes hard choices have to be made and if you're truly not in a position to take the best care of your pet b/c your own wellbeing is at stake, then maybe finding a new home is best, but that doesn't seem to be the case here as they have a plan in place.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:22 PM

148 posts, read 213,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
whoa whoa whoa . . . your terminology "get rid" tells me you've never had a good relationship with a dog. And they do have relationships. "Get rid" means kill unless otherwise noted. "Find a new home", with emphasis on home, would be the appropriate suggestion, and even then it's extremely difficult for the owner.

@subconsciousme- thanks for mentioning crisis foster care for dogs.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 PM

235 posts, read 287,751 times
Dying of natural causes is what cold, heartless people do too, and they die alone because nobody likes them.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:01 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxVampireLov3rXx View Post
Hello all, I am going to be homeless in a few months (September) since I can NOT seem to get a job at all in my small town and because home life is extremely stressful. (Now before someone says something like "suck it up" you would not be saying that if you were in my shoes!) The thing is I currently live in Wisconsin and I have just enough money from my last job for a cab ride to Chicago. I am going to Chicago because its the only place that has a homeless shelter where there is no length on how long you can stay, the shelter I will be staying at is Pacific Garden Mission. My questions though is how can I get a ID because I know I wont be allowed to use my Wisconsin ID in Chicago and how do I go about getting a PO box? Thing is when I go to Chicago I intend on actively looking for work and applying everywhere! but if I don't get a job quick enough is there any other ways for "fast cash" (and no anything involving sexual favors is not happening....yuck! ) I thought about donating plasma but I don't think I meet the certain requirements. Also I wouldn't go homeless but I CAN NOT continue staying where I am at, I have no friends and I have no other relative to stay with Also is anyone here familiar with Pacific Garden Mission? anyone know what it is like there? I am afraid I could have my stuff stolen or get raped etc... another thing is I do have is social anxiety and I have incredibly low self esteem so yeah... what do I do?
Wait, so you can't afford a place to live, yet you can have working internet access, electricity, and a computer to type all of this out? How about getting your priorities straight first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago