Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Dragon View Post
I am sure that works in your mind and the movies..but doesnt factor in the part where the guy is on drugs and doesnt give a ****..takes the guns from you and kills you with it..ppl high on a lot of drugs are amazingly strong and dont seem to feel pain..

It is money.. let them go.. both of you are alive..

As I said before, I'm not willing to accept being a helpless victim. Obviously I realize there are certain circumstances beyone one's control and sometimes bad things happen no matter how well prepared or cautious you're being.
But....that doesn't mean you can't fight back if the opportunity and situation presents itself. Of course, you gotta have the cojones to do so.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Chicago has the 4am bars, and I'm sure most of us have closed those at some point in our lives. I'd say there are plenty of reasons to be out late after 2am, including the "I don't want to stay here anymore" after the buzz wears off during your hook up, or after bar parties. And of course, some people have work schedules that end late and start early.
Ha ha. Was just reliving the good ol' days of The Store on Halsted near Armitage. That used to be a 4am bar we'd end up at. Wasn't there another right there as well?

Old 05-30-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
What are some other reasons? If there are very good reasons to be out that late, I'd like to know so I can see your side of the story. Whenever I hear of a mugging or a random attack in Chicago it's almost always in the very late hours. If you are going to be out around 2 or 3 am, just be really alert then. Most people aren't because they are either drunk or tired.
Booty calls?

After not hooking up at the bar, sometimes you gotta call Ms. Reliable (friend with benefits) or the sure thing.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:36 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Going to the ER is just a LITTLE different than closing down some cheap bar.

If having a few drinks is demonstrating fortitude, then that puts "being drunk" in a whole different light..
You missed my point. I'm saying that I, PERSONALLY, am infrequently out that late, barring some emergency. If you catch ME, PERSONALLY, out that late, it must be for some major reason. However, just because I, PERSONALLY, am rarely out late doesn't mean other people don't have legitimate reasons and every right to be out whenever they damn well please.

And having a few drinks isn't demonstrating fortitude. Refusing to cower because it's after midnight, or at least allowing that other people might just want to be out at 2am for any old reason they please, is demonstrating fortitude. The constant ninnyism is annoying.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
You missed my point. I'm saying that I, PERSONALLY, am infrequently out that late, barring some emergency. If you catch ME, PERSONALLY, out that late, it must be for some major reason. However, just because I, PERSONALLY, am rarely out late doesn't mean other people don't have legitimate reasons and every right to be out whenever they damn well please.

And having a few drinks isn't demonstrating fortitude. Refusing to cower because it's after midnight, or at least allowing that other people might just want to be out at 2am for any old reason they please, is demonstrating fortitude. The constant ninnyism is annoying.
Working 80 hrs a week to keep a household afloat, or spending evenings and nights with a sick friend/relative, or struggling to get out of a vicious cycle of poverty demonstrates fortitude.

Staying out and having fun at 2Am is not an example of fortitude.

I don't care if anyone stays out that late--it's a personal choice. I've been out at 2AM while visiting Chicago, although I tried not to be out that late, because I wanted to do other things the next morning. But just about everything that's done at 2-3 AM can be done at 11 PM, too.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:01 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
It just depends where you are.

I once late at night gave money to a group of vagrants on the corner of Orleans and Oak outside the old liquor store and was drunkenly heading down west Oak back downtown when they all started howling in unison and laughing and yelling "Don't go down there man!" Hahahaha... I was new-ish to the city and drunk.

Sure, you are generally going to not have problems in most neighborhoods.

Once in a while though if you do stupid things you are going to run into a problem.

People can make up their own minds how much they want to avoid those kind of problems I guess.

And it has nothing to do with one's ability in a physical confronataion. Grow up. I was a decent wrestler and boxed a little and unless someone had better training than me I would break their arm or jaw before they knew what hit them.

None of that matters when a crackhead has a pistol on you.

But, as has been said, to each his own. People can do whatever they want!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:20 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Working 80 hrs a week to keep a household afloat, or spending evenings and nights with a sick friend/relative, or struggling to get out of a vicious cycle of poverty demonstrates fortitude.

Staying out and having fun at 2Am is not an example of fortitude.

I don't care if anyone stays out that late--it's a personal choice. I've been out at 2AM while visiting Chicago, although I tried not to be out that late, because I wanted to do other things the next morning. But just about everything that's done at 2-3 AM can be done at 11 PM, too.
Jesus, buddy. All I'm saying is have a spine. There's no reason to hide at night and we shouldn't encourage others to do so.

Some of the people out at 2am are there because they DO work 80 hours a week, or just came from sitting with a sick relative, or are working to keep a household afloat. These are some of the many legitimate reasons to be out at 2am. And you know what? Staying out until 2 because you're having some beers is perfectly legitimate, too. Maybe you worked till midnight and are blowing off steam. Maybe it's a special occasion. Or maybe you just friggin feel like it.

My point is that just because I don't generally have reason or desire to be out that late doesn't mean no one should be or that no one has reason to be.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Jesus, buddy. All I'm saying is have a spine. There's no reason to hide at night and we shouldn't encourage others to do so.
Agreed. I read this hear and think "God, I've had girlfriends with more of a spine than some people on here." I used to let my ex do her girls night out thing and they'd always be in clubs in River North, and she'd walk to my place at like 4am. Sometimes I found out she walked here alone and when I would confront her with it, she'd just say "I'm not a *****. I can handle myself. I grew up in SE Asia."

Only time I heard of anything happening to one of them was in Old Town and a guy tried to grab one of my friends (from the same country as my ex) from an alleyway. She neutralized the guy though.

Quote:
Some of the people out at 2am are there because they DO work 80 hours a week, or just came from sitting with a sick relative, or are working to keep a household afloat. These are some of the many legitimate reasons to be out at 2am. And you know what? Staying out until 2 because you're having some beers is perfectly legitimate, too. Maybe you worked till midnight and are blowing off steam. Maybe it's a special occasion. Or maybe you just friggin feel like it.

My point is that just because I don't generally have reason or desire to be out that late doesn't mean no one should be or that no one has reason to be.
Yep, there's many reasons and staying out late doesn't make you some bad person.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-30-2014 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-30-2014, 09:55 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Ha ha. Was just reliving the good ol' days of The Store on Halsted near Armitage. That used to be a 4am bar we'd end up at. Wasn't there another right there as well?
Beaumont was just north of The Store. No idea if either are still there.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:07 AM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
Quote:

I'm going to start making unwise decisions, so I can develop a spine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago