Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:00 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Hmm well i think what is worse than the OP not having total strangers or anyone to talk to him on the train or bus, is when people go out to eat and one or both of them is using their cell phone and/or handheld device while they have the person they are going out to eat with right there, and they are giving the inanimate object their attention. THAT is pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
The Chads and Buffys (superficial yuppies) were an annoyance in the 80's and early 90's. Not a new phenomenon, just a different wrinkle to the rudeness/shallowness.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
You can read about annoying superficial people in the literature of any era of recorded human history. The high society of Edith Wharton novels was particularly egregious. My parents and grandparents don't have iPhones or Facebook and they literally talk about almost nothing besides gossip related to other people.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:50 PM

82 posts, read 110,680 times
I'm not lonely my friend, I'm just noticing a change in people, When I was the age of 6 I could recall myGrandfather walking me to school each morning and having a conversation with aperson each day, until he developed a pool of people in which he can speak to about certain topics dealing with their community.
Talking amongst your peers without the influence of themedia (Facebook, twitter, TV, Celeb gossip) allows for "Real" topics to be discussed, and when real topics are being discussed and communicated amongst the people, a community is developed, and when a community is developed based off real communication, the people in the community developed a consciousnessof what needs to be done around them.
End real communication, you end community...
And I'm from a Jamaican family; I was raised on the South Side of Chicago back then when things were a bit more civilized amongst the youth and people.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamReign View Post
I'm not lonely my friend, I'm just noticing a change in people, When I was the age of 6 I could recall myGrandfather walking me to school each morning and having a conversation with aperson each day, until he developed a pool of people in which he can speak to about certain topics dealing with their community.
Talking amongst your peers without the influence of themedia (Facebook, twitter, TV, Celeb gossip) allows for "Real" topics to be discussed, and when real topics are being discussed and communicated amongst the people, a community is developed, and when a community is developed based off real communication, the people in the community developed a consciousnessof what needs to be done around them.
End real communication, you end community...
And I'm from a Jamaican family; I was raised on the South Side of Chicago back then when things were a bit more civilized amongst the youth and people.
Every time I walk my kids to school, I run into other parents doing the same and we always have a conversation. That's very different from sitting on a train or bus though. I really don't want to talk to anyone on the train, bus, plane, etc. I read the paper or magazine.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:10 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
I'm a Chicagoan - Been here since I was 2 years old. I remember when things were much more meaningful and honest among the Chicagoans.
Now all I see is superficial snotty people. I'm not trying to classify the entire Generation, but the ones here in the city (Lincoln Park, Logan Square, and Andersonville) seem to be a bit narcissistic and superficial. When I'm on the public transits all I see is people staring at their phones and no one is really holding meaningful conversations anymore, it's all about Facebook or some celebrity gossip, or some TV show. I can't hold a real meaningful conversation with anyone about serious issues anymore. It's all about sex, drugs, and image worshipping.
I'm sorry... I'm just ranting.
welcome to America, William. If you're not happy with the way this plays out, you can go to any city from Miami to Seattle, Boston to San Diego, and experience the same thing. we don't produce citizens anymore; we produce zombies.

if you think this is bad now, wait til you see what the 8G phone will bring.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 PM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
welcome to America, William. If you're not happy with the way this plays out, you can go to any city from Miami to Seattle, Boston to San Diego, and experience the same thing. we don't produce citizens anymore; we produce zombies.

if you think this is bad now, wait til you see what the 8G phone will bring.
Entitled zombies.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:39 AM

82 posts, read 110,680 times
And it'll only get worst people, just wait. in the next 20 years we'll see a whole new type of society, a society in which EVERYTHING is practically electronic and artifical. All forms of human interaction will be done via some electronic medium. And for the people that cannot progress or Jive with this "Progression", they will be in a whole new world.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
And it'll only get worst people, just wait. in the next 20 years we'll see a whole new type of society, a society in which EVERYTHING is practically electronic and artifical. All forms of human interaction will be done via some electronic medium. And for the people that cannot progress or Jive with this "Progression", they will be in a whole new world.

Her (2013) - IMDb

Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 AM

221 posts, read 322,158 times
Quote:
You're acting like a prophet.

Sixty years ago we had segregation, twenty years ago we had the crack epidemic, there are always bad things in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago