Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Chicago good for becoming a successful stand up comedian.
yes 20 80.00%
no 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 PM

13 posts, read 22,673 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Portland Oregon, I've been doing stand up since I was 17 years old and can consistently get laughs and have over an hour of material. I feel Portland isn't a very good place to advance my career in stand up further so I want to move somewhere better. The obvious choices are LA and NYC, but those are highly expensive(I know Chicago isn't cheep either but not as expensive as La or NYV.). I've heard mixed reviews about chicago, some say its only good for improv and others say it is a great city for stand up. And to be sure you all know, this is specifically for stand up comedy, not improv or acting. Thanks to anyone who replies to this post, its much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:49 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philljackson View Post
I currently live in Portland Oregon, I've been doing stand up since I was 17 years old and can consistently get laughs and have over an hour of material. I feel Portland isn't a very good place to advance my career in stand up further so I want to move somewhere better. The obvious choices are LA and NYC, but those are highly expensive(I know Chicago isn't cheep either but not as expensive as La or NYV.). I've heard mixed reviews about chicago, some say its only good for improv and others say it is a great city for stand up. And to be sure you all know, this is specifically for stand up comedy, not improv or acting. Thanks to anyone who replies to this post, its much appreciated.

Ask Rahm, he should know.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
John Belushi and a lot of those Saturday Night Live cast got their start here. So try it!

There are comedy clubs here in Chicago that have the popular comedians you see on TV. so its good.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
John Belushi and a lot of those Saturday Night Live cast got their start here. So try it!

There are comedy clubs here in Chicago that have the popular comedians you see on TV. so its good.
John Belushi is well known for his improv, as is Chicago. But the OP would like to know specifically about the stand-up scene in Chicago.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Odly enough, there's a stand-up place just down Wells Street from Second City improv asylum, and I believe that it's called "Zanies"..

Chicago is likely more renowned for its ensemble comedy, but I would think that the market would be less competitive than NYC or LA..

Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
John Belushi is well known for his improv, as is Chicago. But the OP would like to know specifically about the stand-up scene in Chicago.
yeah! just check out all the comedy clubs all over here

Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 PM

Does anyone think la or NYC would be better? Or do you think chicago is just as good?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:32 AM

596 posts, read 820,812 times
NYC and LA are the two entertainment capitals of the country. There is more competition in LA or NYC, but there are more opportunities. When people become successful in entertainment, including stand-up comedy, they move to NYC or LA. While you could probably find some success in Chicago, it is not the last stop.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:07 PM

So do you think Chicago would be a good next move, then as I achieve success in chicago start traveling to NY or LA, or just go straight to LA or NY?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:35 PM

596 posts, read 820,812 times
Unless you have connections or family you can stay with in Chicago, I would go straight to LA or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: