Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:01 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times

Advertisements

Some may say Global Warming? I have no idea. All I know is that I put on a warm coat and gloves in winter, and shorts in summer and all is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 06:26 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
All I know is that I lived in Chicago proper for over 30 years and then in suburbs no more than 10 miles out of the city. In my 40+ years of life, I've never encountered a major natural disaster. People are still talking about the great snow storm of 1967, for Pete's sakes! We played in fire hydrants as kids, thanks to the seemingly limitless amount of water, have never experienced a major drought, my homes have never flooded, I've never seen a tornado even though one hit Plainfield awhile back, and in the last 5 years, I lost my power once for 2 days this past summer. No wildfires, sunamis, earthquakes, sinkholes, etc. etc. Sure the weather can be lousy, but you can insure a house here with a major carrier like Allstate in my case, for under $300 a year. If you want to learn more about how safe Chicago is from natural disasters, talk to an insurance actuary that specializes in property and casualty.
AMEN!!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 08:51 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
And while I realize that on Aug 23 there were no major tornadoes, I can attest from trying to make an attempt to drive through Tinley Park as the 330 storm hit just as I got out of work, that that storm meant business! I nearly got hit by a run away patio table blowing across 80th Ave. The strangest part of it all was that no huge storms like the 330 and 730 that hit that day were even predicted! There was a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Nobody said a word of 80 mph winds!
I was in the middle of a softball game downtown when that thing hit...people were literally knocked off their feet. never been in a hurricane, but its probably about the closest ill get

Old 12-24-2007, 09:43 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I was in the middle of a softball game downtown when that thing hit...people were literally knocked off their feet. never been in a hurricane, but its probably about the closest ill get
Ya it was wild. Again though it was not a tornado, but still was really bad, and VERY dangerous to be out in. Had that drive by table hit my car it would have been really bad because it was rush hour and traffic was pretty heavy. I probably would have hit someone else from the startle it would have caused causing me to get into an accident! Anyways, another blessid day here for us all, grey, breezy, 22 degrees, damp, AH its bliss.

Also may I also remind people that while the snowstorm of '67 is continually talked about, the storm of '99 (New Years) storm was only something like 2 inches shy of the record! The only reason it didn't seem so bad is because Daley jr. learned many lessons from his predaccessor who didn't get the plows out in time in '67. Daley, his staff, IDOT, and the tollway auth did a great job at keeping the streets clear in '99 leading us to completely forget the storm that lasted 2 days dumping some 21" of snow on us right after the celebrations downtown! http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/winter/chi_sno_hist.php

Old 12-24-2007, 11:53 AM

99 posts, read 112,144 times
But we are in a new decade and no where near those totals. 2000 usered in global warming and like i said we aren't going to get those storms in our lifetime again cuz of a shifting in the erth favoring us on the dry side of things. Another thing is we warm up to fast to keep the snow on the ground unlike eyars back where we got to enjoy it for a week or 2.

Chicago is a big benfit to global warming.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:41 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
All I know is that I lived in Chicago proper for over 30 years and then in suburbs no more than 10 miles out of the city. In my 40+ years of life, I've never encountered a major natural disaster. People are still talking about the great snow storm of 1967, for Pete's sakes! We played in fire hydrants as kids, thanks to the seemingly limitless amount of water, have never experienced a major drought, my homes have never flooded, I've never seen a tornado even though one hit Plainfield awhile back, and in the last 5 years, I lost my power once for 2 days this past summer. No wildfires, sunamis, earthquakes, sinkholes, etc. etc. Sure the weather can be lousy, but you can insure a house here with a major carrier like Allstate in my case, for under $300 a year. If you want to learn more about how safe Chicago is from natural disasters, talk to an insurance actuary that specializes in property and casualty.
One drawback to all of this, is that for someone who teaches classes in the natural sciences, including weather and climate, earth sciences, the lack of these disasters in our area,

I wonder if it makes my students both young old not take this stuff as seriously when they are studying it, and figure hey: it doesn't affect me, its just a bunch of trivia.

Although I have to admit, I've met plenty of people from California, etc. who don't seem very natural science literate either. I would probably encounter the same stuff if I moved.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:59 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
we DO have ice storms as bad as the plains, just not as often. Proof that the last one that passed through here was not quite as bad as it was in Oklahoma is not exactly scientifc evidence that we dont get bad ice storms here....we absolutley do get bad ice storms here, usually in November, December and March.

I've said before everything is usually (key word, usually) a little more extreme in the plains....and I love them for choosing to live there.

But just because we dont get X amount of ice storms and X amount of tornadoes doesn't mean we get none at all.

I've been through some serious ice storms here, and driven in them, and had bad accidents.

It kinda ticks me off one would suggest it doesn't really happen here.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:34 PM

Its mild again today.

Its like 40 every year now around this day.

If this doesn't get back to normal i will do things to this planet that will leave people in ah for the rest of their natrual lives.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:56 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman View Post
Its mild again today.

Its like 40 every year now around this day.

If this doesn't get back to normal i will do things to this planet that will leave people in ah for the rest of their natrual lives.
Minus the other day and the high winds, I think the end of this month has been wonderful. We had the 8" of snow a few weeks back, but the roads were perfectly clear the next day, the sun was shining. The only problem is that all the sun recently has melted all the snow, so we had a brown Christmas yesterday out here in the western burbs.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:57 PM

This same pattern happens every year.

Chicago is going to be Dallas in a few years where we get a few cold days and warm again.

Good news is next week we are going to get it. 16 for the high and they said a nice snow is coming. I hope its the one that shuts us down but with our luck, it will be another palsy 2 4 incher like always.

Chicago just doesn't have the snow issues like Buffelo damn mother nature.

There is money to be made when it snows heavy thats why the plow guys aren't making money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago