Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:45 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times

Advertisements

How about questions...
After the Haymarket Square Riot, which cost the lives of Chicago police (I think it was 11), a statue was erected downtown in their memory. In the 60s it was often vandalized, which required 24 hour guard by a squad car. Eventually, the statue, in order to prevent further vandalizing, was relocated to a suburb. But I've forgotten which one. Does anyone know?
Also, does anyone remember the police three wheel motorcycles? In which year were they finally retired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
How about questions...
After the Haymarket Square Riot, which cost the lives of Chicago police (I think it was 11), a statue was erected downtown in their memory. In the 60s it was often vandalized, which required 24 hour guard by a squad car. Eventually, the statue, in order to prevent further vandalizing, was relocated to a suburb. But I've forgotten which one. Does anyone know?
Also, does anyone remember the police three wheel motorcycles? In which year were they finally retired?
The statue was moved to Forest Park. It was moved back last year to Police Headquarters. I dont think anyone would try to vadalize it now. If they did, they are insanely stupid.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Clarification on the Ford City issue.

As far as the tunnels, yes they do exist. The scope and size of them however cannot be proven.

Ford City is named after the time during the Korean War when Ford made airplanes there. Of course, during WW2 it was built to make engines for the B-29 airplanes, Dodge made the engines. Why it isnt called Dodge city I will never know. Yes, the Tucker Torpedo was made there between WW2 and the Korean War.

As far as I can see with the research I have done,I can find no evidence bombs,bullets,grenades or any munitions were made at Ford City. If you do find evidence Ford City made explosives and such, please post it.

The Joliet Arsenal (which during WW2 was two seperate plants called the Elwood Ordnance Plant and Kankakee Ordnance Works of course made shells, bombs, mines and other munitions. The plants also were active for the Korean War and Vietnam.

Ford City Complex Has A Past Most Don't Remember (http://www.chiefengineer.org/content/content_display.cfm/seqnumber_content/2186.htm - broken link)

Dodge Chicago Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chrysler Village, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joliet Army Ammunition Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joliet Army Ammunition Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About Midewin: Joliet Army Ammunition Plant (http://www.fs.fed.us/mntp/cultural_jaap.htm - broken link)

ATSDR - PHA - Joliet Army Ammunition Plant (Manufacturing Area) and Joliet Army Ammunition Plant (Lap Area), Joliet, Will County, Illinois

Ford City Mall Reopens For Business After Explosion - News Story - WMAQ | Chicago

Old 01-05-2008, 11:21 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,636,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
The reactor was then dismantled and moved to Red Gate Woods, which at one time was the first Argonne National Laboratory, where it was reconstructed using the original materials, and renamed Chicago Pile-2. Red Gate Woods is near Archer and Route 83. These woods are part of the Cook County Forest Preserve. The reactor is still buried there.
Yup. I've been hiking before in those woods and come across the granite marker signifying the radioactive burial site. Very eerie.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/--mike--/230240589/ (broken link)

Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"Did you know the Nuclear Bomb, the very first one was designed, built and preassembled on 63rd strret at the U of C, and their waste products were dumped in the woods where 95th street ends to the west." Originally Posted by MarquettePark

No.Wrong again. You are sort of in the ballpark, but there is a big difference between a pile and a bomb. No bomb was built in Chicago. What moron would build a full functional bomb in the then 2nd largest city in the country and then disassemble it and scatter it in the woods? The first sucessful man-mad nuclear "reactor" called Chicago Pile-1 was built in Chicago at the UofC underneath Stagg Field. It was pretty crude, but it was a huge step forward none the less. They got critical mass.

The reactor was then dismantled and moved to Red Gate Woods, which at one time was the first Argonne National Laboratory, where it was reconstructed using the original materials, and renamed Chicago Pile-2. Red Gate Woods is near Archer and Route 83. These woods are part of the Cook County Forest Preserve. The reactor is still buried there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
quote=Avengerfire;2428360"Did you know the Nuclear Bomb, the very first one was designed, built and preassembled on 63rd strret at the U of C, and their waste products were dumped in the woods where 95th street ends to the west." Originally Posted by MarquettePark

No.Wrong again. You are sort of in the ballpark, but there is a big difference between a pile and a bomb. No bomb was built in Chicago. What moron would build a full functional bomb in the then 2nd largest city in the country and then disassemble it and scatter it in the woods? The first sucessful man-mad nuclear "reactor" called Chicago Pile-1 was built in Chicago at the UofC underneath Stagg Field. It was pretty crude, but it was a huge step forward none the less. They got critical mass.

I thought it was invented in the Upper East side of Manhatten...Manhatten Project.....Thats what the tour guide told us....
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post

Yup. I've been hiking before in those woods and come across the granite marker signifying the radioactive burial site. Very eerie.

You quoted the wrong person. He quoted me incorrectly or maybe it was a glich.;-) lol

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-05-2008 at 11:59 PM..

Old 01-06-2008, 11:25 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
*In the movie "The Blues Brothers", the bridge which the car jumped is on 95th street near South Chicago avenue.
And the freeway ramp that the "Illinois Nazis" drive off before plumetting to the ground is actually in Milwaukee! You can see the First Wisconsin Building (now the U.S. Bank Building) and other Milwaukee landmarks in the background as the car falls to the ground. Milwaukee had several freeway ramps that just ended in mid air back in the 70s, but they have since been connected to other things.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:58 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Many of us older people (or not so old in my case know this but I bet a lot of you 20somethings have no idea that the loft you live in in Wicker Park or Lincoln Park was once located in one of the most undesirable neighborhoods in the city.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:09 PM

137 posts, read 202,631 times
Martin Luther King spoke in Winnetka. After the Mayor of Evanston refused to allow him to speak in Evanston.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Many of us older people (or not so old in my case know this but I bet a lot of you 20somethings have no idea that the loft you live in in Wicker Park or Lincoln Park was once located in one of the most undesirable neighborhoods in the city.
At least some portion of Lincoln Park has been swanky for a long, long time. Even when you couldn't give away property in Lincoln Park, it was still at least a tolerable neighborhood by Chicago standards. It was still a place that suburban high school kids hung out in in the 70s and 80s, and it's certainly never been an Englewood or Roseland.

And Wicker Park is what it is today precisely because of its past reputation as the place for new urban kiddies to "slum it" until it eventually drew enough of them to substantially de-slumify it. I don't think it's much of a secret even to the youngsters that live there today that it hasn't always been the nicest place to live. If anything, it's still regarded it as a place to "slum it" by potential new hipster arrivals because 1) some of that reputation still lingers from the previous decade, and 2) let's face it, it's still a lot more edgy than the tidy, manicured suburbs most of them grew up in.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:02 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,545,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
How about questions...
After the Haymarket Square Riot... the statue, in order to prevent further vandalizing, was relocated to a suburb. But I've forgotten which one. Does anyone know?
You might be confusing two different monuments. See the CPL's page on Haymarket:
Chicago: 1886 The Haymarket Riot

"In 1893 a monument was erected to the Haymarket martyrs at Forest Home Cemetery (originally part of German Waldheim Cementery) in suburban Forest Park, Illinois... The City of Chicago erected a 9-foot bronze Haymarket Riot statue of a Chicago policeman in 1889 near the original site of the riot... In January of 1972 it was moved to the lobby of police headquarters, later it was moved to the courtyard of the Police Academy..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago