Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryOberthJr View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Sorry for bothering you with another thread about Crime in Chicago, I know there are many other people asking the same thing. But the other threads are too big, and I'm kinda lazy to read all that pages. lol
Anyway, Chigago doesn't seems to be as dangerous as people and media make it to be at all.
I hate drugs and all the stuff related to it, so I guess will be easy to avoid the drug dealers and criminals. And about the segregation, I've already heard something about it, but didn't know that it is that bad...
Segregation is real, but it is actually not any worse than other northern cities that had populations over a million before 1950, and better than some. And segregation in Chicago is lessening, not getting worse.

Places out west that gained most of the population after the start of the Civil Rights Era are less segregated because when they were gaining people it was both illegal to enforce segregation and people were more accepting of the idea of living in mixed areas. In cities with population patterns established before the Civil Rights Era, they were usually segregated because social norms at that time were different and it takes a very long time to desegregate naturally because population movements are relatively slow and geographic demographics only rarely change quickly.

In other words, if you want to live in a mixed neighborhood in Chicago it is quite possible. If you want to contribute to desegregation, it's also quite possible to live in a neighborhood in Chicago where you will be a minority. If you don't care to choose where to live based on your own race or the race of your neighbors, then you'll have plenty of different kinds of neighborhoods to choose from and can visit other neighborhoods to experience many ranges of racial, cultural, economic and other forms of diversity.

As far as crime goes, much of Chicago has crime rates at or below national averages. As a metro area, including the suburbs, Chicago is actually one of the safest large metro areas in the nation (look up the 2008 Brookings study on metropolitan area crime rates).

Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 AM

13 posts, read 14,552 times
I moved to Chicago this summer after living on the east coast most of my life. My experience so far has been:

-North side is all safe but a little bit dicey in Uptown neighborhood
-Northwest neighborhoods like Wicker Park, Bucktown and Logan Square are some of the most mixed areas with a true Brooklyn vibe, IMO. I am considering moving there after spending my first year in Lakeview.
-All Loop neighborhoods are safe but quite expensive
-Don't go West or South of the Loop (excluding West Loop and South Loop). There are perfectly fine neighborhoods out those directions but as a newcomer, its just easier to avoid them and learn after you get here.
-This is the 2nd largest city in the country. City life means you should keep an eye on your surroundings and be smart about your own personal safety. Listen to the locals. One piece of advice I learned after getting here - avoid getting off the train at the Belmont Red Line stop after 1am.

This city is very segregated. I moved to Lakeview East right near the lake and it is more white than anywhere I have ever lived. It was quite surprising to me. I do like areas where more cultures mix. I will say that knowing nothing about moving to Chicago that Lakeview was a perfect first place to be.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:57 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
I found there was no reason to go to the 'bad' parts of Chicago. Whereas in say, SF... some of the most crime ridden parts of the city were right in the middle of everything.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:34 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
I hate drugs and all the stuff related to it, so I guess will be easy to avoid the drug dealers and criminals.
Out of curiosity are you a non-drinker and a non-smoker?

Quote:
And about the segregation, I've already heard something about it, but didn't know that it is that bad...
Do you mean really segregated or really bad? I mean, it could be a good thing about spontaneous segregation. What would be the argument against spontaneous segregation?

Old 12-10-2014, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 15,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Out of curiosity are you a non-drinker and a non-smoker?

Do you mean really segregated or really bad? I mean, it could be a good thing about spontaneous segregation. What would be the argument against spontaneous segregation?
Yes. I don't drink and don't smoke. My father had serious problems with drugs and alcohol when I was younger, and I promised never be like him...

I did mean I didn't know Chicago was really that segregated. I know right, depending on the point of view, segregation actually can be a good thing...

Old 12-10-2014, 11:42 AM

125 posts, read 172,592 times
You have to go out of your way to get into trouble in Chicago. I wouldn't park my car with valuables or leave my doors unlocked like you can in many parts of the country, but some common sense and you won't have issues. I drive through West Garfield Park and through high crime areas of the West Side pretty regularly and despite what you hear on national news, it's not a war zone. Use caution and don't be stupid.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:42 AM

96 posts, read 191,868 times
It'd be interesting to know of areas / neighborhoods / suburbs that get a bad rap in the media or bad rap from outward appearances BUT are actually quite safe in some residential pockets.

I've lived in a number of such places with a bad city-wide reputation. And while crime was still rampant in select areas (usually in low income apt complexes and select shopping centers) ... We'd feel 110% safe in our particular pocket of the neighborhood.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:15 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccasionalCommentary2020 View Post
It'd be interesting to know of areas / neighborhoods / suburbs that get a bad rap in the media or bad rap from outward appearances BUT are actually quite safe in some residential pockets.

I've lived in a number of such places with a bad city-wide reputation. And while crime was still rampant in select areas (usually in low income apt complexes and select shopping centers) ... We'd feel 110% safe in our particular pocket of the neighborhood.
That's an interesting question. I think there's areas of both South Shore and Roseland which aren't that bad, but the entire community areas have a bad reputation.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:55 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Chicago can be very dangerous if you want it to be. If you use your wits and stay away from illegal activities and gangs then it's no more dangerous than it would be for the average American if you live in decent stable areas outside of the gang invested ones.

I think Americans are far more paranoid than they need to be. I've been here almost 14 years, work downtown, lived in Logan Square, Lakeview and most of the time in Uptown and I have been using public transit and car free the entire time - quite the night owl as well. Never once have I ever felt personally threatened. I know of ONE person that I'm close with who was the victim of a violent crime during that time, and while it was a horrific crime that was on the news for days and we were all in shock (she survived and is fine now), we moved on including the women in question. Things like that can and do happen anywhere in the country - they're awful - but not specific to Chicago. Point being I've probably been friends, coworkers, neighbors etc with hundreds or thousands of people in that 14 years, and 99.99% of them are doing just fine.

There are a lot of Chicagoans who are worried about safety on a daily basis, but for the majority its a caution in the back of their mind, but nothing will ever happen in real life. Just be aware and cautious.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:15 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Chicago can be very dangerous if you want it to be. If you use your wits and stay away from illegal activities and gangs then it's no more dangerous than it would be for the average American if you live in decent stable areas outside of the gang invested ones.

I think Americans are far more paranoid than they need to be. I've been here almost 14 years, work downtown, lived in Logan Square, Lakeview and most of the time in Uptown and I have been using public transit and car free the entire time - quite the night owl as well. Never once have I ever felt personally threatened. I know of ONE person that I'm close with who was the victim of a violent crime during that time, and while it was a horrific crime that was on the news for days and we were all in shock (she survived and is fine now), we moved on including the women in question. Things like that can and do happen anywhere in the country - they're awful - but not specific to Chicago. Point being I've probably been friends, coworkers, neighbors etc with hundreds or thousands of people in that 14 years, and 99.99% of them are doing just fine.

There are a lot of Chicagoans who are worried about safety on a daily basis, but for the majority its a caution in the back of their mind, but nothing will ever happen in real life. Just be aware and cautious.
That is so true.

People who live normal lives and want to feel safe while going shopping, work, doggy daycare or childcare are generally just as safe in a place like Chicago as they are in small town America.

As with any other city with a reputation for crime. If you look for trouble, it will find you for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago