Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times

Advertisements

Whoa, did I just see an ad when Rahm just basically admitted that he's a callous d-bag (paraphrasing)?

Hmm, this next cycle could actually be mildly entertaining...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,225,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Whoa, did I just see an ad when Rahm just basically admitted that he's a callous d-bag (paraphrasing)?
My buddy just sent me a text saying the same thing. Maybe the runoff will humble him a bit. He's the better candidate but he needs to stop being a raging ********.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
The best thing about this is that the long dormant and lethargic Latino vote now has the chance to count for something. They have undervoted for many years and it looks like this now is their Harold Washington moment. If they start voting in numbers, it will change the landscape of Chicago politics big time.

As for Emanuel, he's been a lousy mayor who has ignored the neighborhoods and is disliked by almost every Chicagoan I know. If he goes down many will cheer.
I don't think Rahm has been as lousy as you think - he has done some good things, including minimum wage hike, free community college, lots of federal $ for CTA projects, longer school day, etc.

But when it comes to the Latino vote - over/under at 20%? I'm taking the under. I live in Hermosa...even in POTUS elections I'm one of the handful that votes in my precinct. Alderman Suarez, the machineiest of the machine candidates, has coasted mostly unopposed (until this year a popular Telemundo presenter barely eked him into a runoff) since 1991, because nobody here cares or votes.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:35 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
If Chuy can somehow get Toni Preckwinkle to publicly support him, he may have a real shot. I've never voted for Rahm. I've never liked the guy. I'm still a bit ticked that he was even allowed to be on the ballot the first time. He paid his way on to the ballot! anyway, if Chuy can get the right supporters he could take down Rahm. A lot of voters who thought "No way Rahm gets voted out, why vote?" are now thinking that theres a real chance Chuy can get him out. They might show up at the polls next month. And the overall turnout was embarrassing. Increase the turnout in the right areas and Rahm might be going fishing.
No way Toni endorses either candidate. I think Chuy (man seeing his name typed out still looks so close to a Polish profanity it's hard to look past it) has gotten a bump, but he also has to prove in the next month that he's not just an opposition pie in the sky candidate and show that he can govern in a time of crisis. So far he sounds really unprepared to be in this position. Things can always change though.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:56 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
No way Toni endorses either candidate. I think Chuy (man seeing his name typed out still looks so close to a Polish profanity it's hard to look past it) has gotten a bump, but he also has to prove in the next month that he's not just an opposition pie in the sky candidate and show that he can govern in a time of crisis. So far he sounds really unprepared to be in this position. Things can always change though.
But if Chuy just "talks a good game" will that be enough for his supporters? I don't know the answer to that question, but I just have a feeling that there is a large segment that is anti-Rahm, and will be voting for Chuy as long as he says what they want to hear (whether or not it is all-talk and no detail). Whether that segment is enough to push Chuy to the top, I don't know. I hope that voters will actually examine the candidates in the detail that you mentioned, but I think that some may just vote for the candidate that sounds good to them.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
But if Chuy just "talks a good game" will that be enough for his supporters? I don't know the answer to that question, but I just have a feeling that there is a large segment that is anti-Rahm, and will be voting for Chuy as long as he says what they want to hear (whether or not it is all-talk and no detail). Whether that segment is enough to push Chuy to the top, I don't know. I hope that voters will actually examine the candidates in the detail that you mentioned, but I think that some may just vote for the candidate that sounds good to them.
Like the IL Gubernatorial election, the Mayoral election is about the public employee pensions. Who will handle that better for the vast majority of city of Chicago citizens? The guy whose main financial backers are the public employee unions or the guy who got the unions mad?

Old 03-05-2015, 05:45 PM

955 posts, read 1,833,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I don't think Rahm has been as lousy as you think - he has done some good things, including minimum wage hike, free community college, lots of federal $ for CTA projects, longer school day, etc.

But when it comes to the Latino vote - over/under at 20%? I'm taking the under. I live in Hermosa...even in POTUS elections I'm one of the handful that votes in my precinct. Alderman Suarez, the machineiest of the machine candidates, has coasted mostly unopposed (until this year a popular Telemundo presenter barely eked him into a runoff) since 1991, because nobody here cares or votes.
If he were a good mayor he wouldn't have been forced into a runoff.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:06 PM

498 posts, read 725,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
If he were a good mayor he wouldn't have been forced into a runoff.
Sometimes doing what's right isn't doing what's popular.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:09 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Blah blah blah. Rahm supporters have every excuse as to why this happened. This is Chicago. This man has more support in City Hall than Daley did, and that's saying a lot considering Daley had almost no opposition. Honestly? I don't even think half the people in this thread championing Rahm like him. They just don't like...something...about his opponent. And they are going to vote for what they know...if you know what I mean.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:21 PM

166 posts, read 260,160 times
Crain's Chicago just released a story that says Toni is meeting with SEIU about possible Chuy endorsement. It's happening. If this goes through, there will be a real election. Of course all of the pale skins will only vote for their man Rahm. As treemoni states above, there's just "something" about Chuy they dont like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago