Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 02:32 PM

21 posts, read 24,300 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to relocate and I am trying to find out some more information and facts before I make a decision on where to move.

-Does anyone know anything about the Community Colleges in Chicago from personal experience or from living in the area? (Right now, a community college is what is best for me. Although, I would love to finish a bachelors in the future.)

-What is the job market like? I will be a full time student, but also on my own so I would definitely need full time. I would like to move away from my current field-retail IF possible (and definitely after I graduate college.)

-What is the job market like for people with associates degree? Also if I was continue my education with a Bachelors degree. My major is business.

-What is housing like? I would need an apartment, room to rent, just something inexpensive. I would prefer to live alone. I don't mind a studio apartment. I just need something inexpensive because it will just be solely my income.

-Safety. What are some places to avoid? Places that would be safe for a 24 year old woman. (I'm definitely not scared of much and I have common sense, I just don't want to live in the worst part of a city wherever I do move.)

-How is cost of living?

Some background information on me.

-I am 24

-From Mobile, AL

-I have never visited Chicago.

-Most of my work experience is retail (currently a of the part time managers of a store), however I have done childcare (2+ years) and data entry.

I would really love to have you respond to this post if you feel like you could enlighten me in any way! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 04:53 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali51890 View Post
-Does anyone know anything about the Community Colleges in Chicago from personal experience or from living in the area? (Right now, a community college is what is best for me. Although, I would love to finish a bachelors in the future.)
The City Colleges of Chicago are decent community colleges. The State of Illinois makes it easier to transfer an associates gained at any community college in Illinois to most 4-year universities in Illinois. That said, what are you hoping to attain with a community college education? While I believe education is its own reward, financially speaking community college degrees do not carry much weight unless they're in a specific trade or program that you will be working in (i.e. nursing or physician's assistant).

Quote:
-What is the job market like? I will be a full time student, but also on my own so I would definitely need full time. I would like to move away from my current field-retail IF possible (and definitely after I graduate college.)
The job market is decent. Not red-hot by any means, but decent and improving overall. However, it varies a lot depending on the industry.

-
Quote:
What is the job market like for people with associates degree? Also if I was continue my education with a Bachelors degree. My major is business.
An associates in business will be marginally better than just a high school degree, but it won't add that much value to your resume compared to work experience or a four-year degree.

Quote:
-What is housing like? I would need an apartment, room to rent, just something inexpensive. I would prefer to live alone. I don't mind a studio apartment. I just need something inexpensive because it will just be solely my income.
Housing here has walls, doors, windows and roofs. There is a wide variety of housing available, and as anywhere, the more convenient it is to the main jobs centers, the more expensive it is. The more convenient it is to shops and entertainment and other recreation, the more expensive it is. Realistically, very few people pay less than $400 per month even with roommates (and that's unusually low), Studios are hard to find under $600-700 per month because they're not common in cheaper neighborhoods. 1-bedrooms start at about that in cheap areas.

Quote:
-Safety. What are some places to avoid? Places that would be safe for a 24 year old woman. (I'm definitely not scared of much and I have common sense, I just don't want to live in the worst part of a city wherever I do move.)
Avoid Garfield Park, Englewood and Washington Park. Also avoid Austin, the western portions of Humboldt Park, and North Lawndale. That will keep you away from the most dangerous areas.

Quote:
-How is cost of living?
Quite a bit higher than where you're from, quite a bit lower than New York or San Francisco.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The City Colleges of Chicago are decent community colleges. The State of Illinois makes it easier to transfer an associates gained at any community college in Illinois to most 4-year universities in Illinois. That said, what are you hoping to attain with a community college education? While I believe education is its own reward, financially speaking community college degrees do not carry much weight unless they're in a specific trade or program that you will be working in (i.e. nursing or physician's assistant).

The job market is decent. Not red-hot by any means, but decent and improving overall. However, it varies a lot depending on the industry.

-

An associates in business will be marginally better than just a high school degree, but it won't add that much value to your resume compared to work experience or a four-year degree.

Housing here has walls, doors, windows and roofs. There is a wide variety of housing available, and as anywhere, the more convenient it is to the main jobs centers, the more expensive it is. The more convenient it is to shops and entertainment and other recreation, the more expensive it is. Realistically, very few people pay less than $400 per month even with roommates (and that's unusually low), Studios are hard to find under $600-700 per month because they're not common in cheaper neighborhoods. 1-bedrooms start at about that in cheap areas.

Avoid Garfield Park, Englewood and Washington Park. Also avoid Austin, the western portions of Humboldt Park, and North Lawndale. That will keep you away from the most dangerous areas.

Quite a bit higher than where you're from, quite a bit lower than New York or San Francisco.

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful and a lot of things to consider. I really appreciate it!

Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
You should have savings and a job lined up before coming. The cost of living is quite high in Chicago compared to what you are coming from. Perhaps you could get another retail type job to tide you over. You can take night classes. Chicago and its suburbs have a good community college system. The College of dupage is one of the best but you have to be a resident of Dupage county. Chicago has its own cc system. My son took a couple of classes at Wright Jr. College on the far northwest side and it seemed to be well organized and a good bet for anyone living in the city. You can then transfer to the UIC to finish your degree once you have established Illinois residency. Of course there are more options too for college but they get very expensive, such as DePaul and Loyola. Its all do able you just have to have a game plan.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:02 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
A quick surf around shows there there are some studio apartments for rent for around 700-900 dollars a month. The ones I looked at were on Pine Grove in Lake view which is a good area with good bus transportation into the loop. This is probably the most rock bottom price you can find in a convenient location that is safe. You might find something further away at a lesser price but its kind of a needle in a haystack. Otherwise you are looking at a room mate situation or renting a room. Even that will cost you at least 4 or 500 a month.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
You should have savings and a job lined up before coming. The cost of living is quite high in Chicago compared to what you are coming from. Perhaps you could get another retail type job to tide you over. You can take night classes. Chicago and its suburbs have a good community college system. The College of dupage is one of the best but you have to be a resident of Dupage county. Chicago has its own cc system. My son took a couple of classes at Wright Jr. College on the far northwest side and it seemed to be well organized and a good bet for anyone living in the city. You can then transfer to the UIC to finish your degree once you have established Illinois residency. Of course there are more options too for college but they get very expensive, such as DePaul and Loyola. Its all do able you just have to have a game plan.

Thank you. I appreciate your reply!

Old 04-02-2015, 01:01 PM

62 posts, read 122,391 times
"You can then transfer to the UIC to finish your degree once you have established Illinois residency. Of course there are more options too for college but they get very expensive, such as DePaul and Loyola. Its all do able you just have to have a game plan."

I agree with the above, do the basic course work at a city college then transfer to a better University for three reasons. The 2nd university (if chosen wisely) will likely provide a much better education for your specialization in business, networking/friendship, and placing a higher pedigree degree on your resume will greatly increase your appeal to employers.

The city college will save you a lot of money and for basic subjects the education is just as good. Math is math after all. I know a several immigrants that followed or are following this formula. They work part time/full time, attend night school, transfer to the better school, graduated debt free, and landed corporate jobs in the loop after interning a little.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: