Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 PM

7 posts, read 46,274 times

Advertisements

Given Washington Heights close proximity to Beverly, is this a good neighborhood also? Are there mostly owners in this neighborhood vs. renters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 02:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I'd say there's more owners than renters in the neighborhood. It's a pretty well-kept neighborhood; houses are generally maintained well and in good shape, lawns are kept mowed/landscaped/etc.

Washington Heights is considered by many to be a stable neighborhood, and compared to most black south-side neighborhoods, it is. But without that awkward caveat, Washington Heights has more serious crime, including several murders a year, than I'd be willing to live with if I got to pick a place to live.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:05 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuianqueen926 View Post
Given Washington Heights close proximity to Beverly, is this a good neighborhood also? Are there mostly owners in this neighborhood vs. renters?
If you don't mind the occasional police siren and teenagers walking around at all hours, then I think you'll find it to be a nice neighborhood. As mentioned, people do take care of their properties and are fairly friendly. If you want to know about the crime aspect, call or visit the local police department. Ask them about the gang activity in the area. Ask about those murders Drover mentioned. Were they gang or drug related? Domestic? If you get the right officer who likes to talk, you will get a very honest, detailed report.

I'd urge you to visit the area and get a feel for it yourself. There's only so much unbiased information you can learn from people who don't live in the area.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,140 times
I live within a few blocks of Washington Heights. Crime is about five times higher east of vincennes than it is on the beverly side west of vincennes. But even with crime being that high compared to beverly it is much more safer than say West pullman or Lower Morgan Park for that matter. Housing stock ranges from turn of the century cottages to bungalows to georgians and cape cods. Nothing really discernible but still well thought out and nice looking blocks of homes on average lots. It is comparable to Chatham or Gresham as a fairly stable african american community of city workers, cops and fireman.
A new subdivision of luxury homes has broken ground right next to the Metra station in Washington Heights, not sure how well they are selling however...
Renaissance at Beverly Ridge - Single Family Homes in Beverly Ridge

Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,416 times
Instead of starting a new thread, I was hoping for more info on this area. I have been touring around and I like the housing stock in the area. I will agree with the OP about the relative closeness to beverly that interest me, but I don't want to be naive about it either. The bungalows are extremely attractive as well.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Instead of starting a new thread, I was hoping for more info on this area...
Thanks.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
You can find crime stats for Washington Heights here.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:35 PM

The area between 87th to 95th, Ashland to Beverly parkway is well within walking distance of the 91st Metra station.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Unless my figures are wrong, there has been only 1 homicide in Washington heights this year. I hope it continues to stay at only 1!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: