Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay in Chicagoland or move to Phoenix
Chicago 37 88.10%
Phoenix 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:12 AM

577 posts, read 669,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
Crime is terrible
Not really. It's pretty much normal for a US city of its size, and crime in general in America isn't that high (aside from gun murders in the worst neighbourhoods). Crime in London is higher than Chicago, but people aren't going to move out to a cottage in the countryside to get away it at the expense of leaving behind all that a big city has to offer. Americans tend to worry about crime waaay too much though, I've noticed. I find it very odd that my friends in Florida won't move to a big city because they're worried about being attacked, yet they drive home drunk every weekend without giving it a second thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Most people that live in Chicago do not live in the high crime hoods. Many live in the suburbs where the crime rate is much lower or in other city areas where there is not as much crime.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:45 PM

150 posts, read 295,223 times
Went to Scottsdale for a conference and overall thought the area was pretty terrible. Too artificial and annoyingly perfect.. I'd be like living in an outdoor hospital. I guess I can see why it appeals to old people.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:57 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Most "Chicago natives" I met in Phoenix were actually from the Chicago suburbs, and since the Phoenix area is very suburban in nature, I can see where that would appeal to people looking for that lifestyle with a lower cost of living and good weather year round (If you can stand the heat). Arizona has some beautiful hiking/outdoor attractions too, so it has some good things going for it. If you're a baseball fan, the many spring training/winter leagues are a nice amenity.
If you are used to living in the city of Chicago proper, however, and are used to a more urbane lifestyle, Phoenix doesn't really have much of that. The downtown area is mostly a business district, though it has had some revitalization with the addition of light rail and some folks moving down there for a less suburban feel...but when it comes to arts and culture, Phoenix doesn't really hold a candle. As an artist/musician, this was very frustrating to me, and Chicago has been much better for me as an artist and a patron, in that regard.
Another thing is, the wages are generally much lower in P. An argument could certainly be made that while wages are lower in Phoenix, the cost of living and housing is generally lower as well, though my understanding is that is much less the case these days.
Another thing about Arizona is, there isn't really access to a nice body of water like Lake Michigan. (There's a few man-made lakes for recreation, but they just aren't the same) However, it's a 5 hour drive to San Diego from there, 6 to LA, so if you're dying to see the ocean it's an easy drive. Same with Vegas, only about 5 hours (maybe less these days with freeway expansion)

All of these things considered. I still much prefer Chicago. I frequently have the opportunity to go back and visit Phoenix at little or no expense, but I haven't done so in years (I went back a couple years ago for a wedding, the only time I've been back since 2010.)

I'm not trying to knock Phoenix. I understand why some folks prefer it. I always find the city vs. city debates to be kind of silly anyways. To each their own! I just like it here in Chicago better.
Maybe that's it, suburban vs city people. I've been here 14 years now in Chicago and you always hear that "all Chicagoans move to Phoenix". I've never really gotten it, since I haven't heard anyone talk about moving there, known anyone who moved there, or really seen the city brought up in conversation. I live in the city though, maybe it's more a latter-in-life suburban type thing.

I would never move there, been many times and can't really relate to the place. It all seems to brown and closed off with six lane roads lined by privacy walls and strip malls everywhere.

I did have a friend move there I guess for school, but he came back immediately when he was finished two years later. He didn't bash the city, but said it offered nothing he was looking for.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:45 PM

89 posts, read 116,424 times
I would if retired . That is yrs away. I was actually seriously considering it few yrs ago. Applied for a job there but did not work out. Also was bit concerned about lower wages. Job was more responsibility but much less money then my current job. I am from North Shore currently in Seattle but will be moving. And at this point I would pick moving back to Chicago over Phoenix.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:52 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Chicago is actually one of the lowest cost areas that I would consider acceptable. Any of the alternatives for me would be higher (Boston, DC, California). I suppose if I somehow lost all/most of my financial assets/income, I might consider low-cost Phoenix in desperation, but would probably try to stick it out here.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:48 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Chicago is actually one of the lowest cost areas that I would consider acceptable. Any of the alternatives for me would be higher (Boston, DC, California). I suppose if I somehow lost all/most of my financial assets/income, I might consider low-cost Phoenix in desperation, but would probably try to stick it out here.
My sentiments exactly, except I would move to Milwaukee before Phoenix.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:04 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
My sentiments exactly, except I would move to Milwaukee before Phoenix.
You must love winter.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:07 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
You must love winter.
Not necessarily, I despise Phoenix and deserts and extreme heat.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:32 PM

490 posts, read 649,844 times
I've been to Phoenix. In the summer. And man, it was hot. If you a cracker *ss white boy like me, it takes very little time to get burned. I also went through a sandstorm out there, which brought the city to a grinding halt. And when it rains, and I've been there when it rained, it was like getting 6 inches of snow here. The tap water also tastes awful, its good for washing and flushing the toilets. But hey, its the desert, what do you expect.

The pluses, the city is well laid out. Everything is on a grid like it is in Chicago. Plus they overbuilt the highways, so there wasn't much traffic. Stuff is CHEAP! You can really stretch the dollar out because of the lower cost of living. Did I mention there really isn't a allergy season there? Ever go to ASU? The woman are gorgeous. And blond. I realized I failed miserably when choosing colleges after visiting. Mild winters are an added bonus. Thats the deal when you have 6 months of flame thrower heat the other half of the year.

All in all, I would choose Chicago. Home is home to me. Though I may be faced with separate job opportunities in both places, with Phoenix paying more, and the Chicago gig paying considerably less, so thats going to be a tough call, as theres not much to hate about Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago