Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,909 times

Advertisements

Why is the Board of Ed. moving one of the top schools (Edison Regional Gifted Center) in the state to ALBANY?! I'm sorry, but that neighborhood scares the **** out of me. A nine-year old got molested in that area! If and when they move this school, Chicago and Illinois' Test scores will drop rappidly. not trying to be elite here, but i cannot hide the truth. People from the school have fought for funding, got a million dollars back for gifted funding, and they're just going to share the school with an albany schoolAnd, families have relocated just to go to that school, and now they'll have to move again? You can't tell me that isn't rediculous. I don't think that there will be many parents letting there children go to the school after it moves because of the environment. Metal detectors are needed to make sure children who go to schools there don't bring weapons... i know lots of schools do that too, but the metal detectors are needed because the school knows that someone WILL (not maybe, but will) bring a weapon to the school. if anyone else agrees that this is inexcusable (Edison hasn't done ANYTHING, it's because of the selective enrollment) please post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:02 PM

677 posts, read 4,211,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChic_99 View Post
If and when they move this school, Chicago and Illinois' Test scores will drop rappidly.
Not likely. There are 655 schools in CPS and over 4,000 in Illinois. Scores dropping at one school is not going to make a difference in the overall averages of either.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
They need to boost the scores in the other area so they can say scores are improving so they can get more money. Thats the only reason.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
My Troll-O-Meter is about a millimeter from pegging...

Old 02-23-2008, 12:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,046 times
Please excuse the bump for this thread. I don't think this person is a troll...only someone who is saying the *real* reason that Edison Regional Gifted Center parents are so intent on staying right where they are, despite the publicly stated reasons why they are against it.

I live one block from Edison, and my kids go to a private school in Park Ridge, but we will be taking them out next year due to financial issues. We simply can no longer afford the cost of a private school. I'm fine with my kids going to Ebinger, which is about nine blocks away, but Edison would certainly be more convenient. Either way, I'm ok with it.

The Edison kids and staff are moving to a state-of-the-art facility in Albany Park, and the publicly stated reasons for their opposition to the move is: 1) not enough green space for them to have their recess in, 2) not enough parking space for highly-involved parents (as if there are loads of spaces in by Edison!) and, 3) not enough separation between the gifted students and the current, older, large student population at Albany Park.

The *real* reason is stated by the OP, although no one will admit it.

BTW, only 10% of Edison's student body actually live in the neighborhood.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:44 AM

249 posts, read 685,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomomonline View Post
I'm fine with my kids going to Ebinger, which is about nine blocks away, but Edison would certainly be more convenient. Either way, I'm ok with it.

The Edison kids and staff are moving to a state-of-the-art facility in Albany Park, and the publicly stated reasons for their opposition to the move is: 1) not enough green space for them to have their recess in, 2) not enough parking space for highly-involved parents (as if there are loads of spaces in by Edison!) and, 3) not enough separation between the gifted students and the current, older, large student population at Albany Park.

The stated reason I have heard is none of the above, rather the overcrowding at Oriole Park and Ebinger. I understand Edison will be converted back into a neighborhood school (probably with boundaries of the Kennedy and NW Highway) to take students away from those overcrowded schools. In a way, CPS' success in all those schools in that area in the past 10-20 years has created the problem. The reason Edison was converted to a gifted school was because the enrollment was so low in that area. Now that the schools are good, parents are taking advantage of them instead of sending their kids to Catholic schools, etc. Overcrowding without busing was inevitable.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:15 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Sometimes I have a real problem with the inherent elitism of 'gifted' schools. However, I recognize that they have pretty much salvaged the public school system in the city of Chicago from being depleted of the middle-income students. But, those non-gifted schools in low income areas need help! Sometimes it seems like early on we are tracking segments of the school populace to lower achievement.

And no, I don't know the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago