Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:38 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Chet,

The guy is in high school right now. He might want to go into education right now, but anybody who ever went to college knows how this type of stuff can change a year or two in. I knew what I wanted to be since I was 12, but even through college I almost picked up another major (along with the one I have now i.e. double major) in something completely different.
marothisu,

The kid lives in Chicago right now. He might have time to rethink the potentially financially ruinous decision that anybody that has tried too hard to make a dream come true can attest to. I don't know what I am going to do with rest of my life and I use information that I gain daily to reassess the various pluses and minuses of alternatives. The best time to plan for the future is when you have lots of options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 12:21 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Chet,

I think the entire thread is too premature to be honest. I'm just pointing out the obvious though - it's great the kid is thinking of his future, but the fact is that probably over 50% of people who enter college end up changing their majors at least once. A lot of people think they know what they want to do, but when they actually start college for it ,they change their minds. He should know how hard it is to get a job with CPS, but at the same time the point is probably minimal. If he was a junior or senior in college, then it would be worth your energy to tell him about CPS.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Aside from everything else, I would NOT suggest going into teaching any time soon. The problem is that teaching is no longer about teaching - it's about testing and about playing political games. It is also a disrespected profession from politicians, parents to the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago