Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,439 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm planning to move to Chicago in July of 2016, but I have no idea where to start looking and I would really appreciate some advice! Here are the details:

Me: I'm a 25 year old single female, seeking more job opportunities than are available in my current city. I have bachelor's degrees in Psychology and Criminal Justice.
Income: ~$25,000 a year (I know ).
Seeking: safe, affordable neighborhoods.
Housing: the most realistic option is a studio apartment (for now). No parking, as I don't have a car.
Currently: I pay $725 a month for a huge one bedroom loft where I live, but I know this isn't realistic in Chicago: Utilities included are cable and water. Electricity and Internet come out of pocket.
Utilities: are there generally any utilities included?

Any suggestions anybody might have will be much appreciated. I'm trying to stay as realistic as possible about this move, and once the move date gets closer, I'll start seeking employment, but I'm hoping that a year will be enough time to save up enough for the moving expenses and a deposit/first month's rent in a relatively cheap, safe neighborhood.

Thank you if you took the time to read all of this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 12:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
What is your "current city"?

My guess is that unless you move someplace where a new prison in being opened you won't really have a whole lot more job opportunities based on your major(s)...

Old 08-14-2015, 10:06 AM

I currently live in Richmond, Virginia.

Haha how do you figure that working in a prison is the only criminal justice job option for my majors? I'm hitting the job search now, but I'm most concerned with finding a neighborhood that is relatively cheap and safe.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:28 AM

302 posts, read 453,133 times
Depends on where you work really.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:36 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
What is the value of moving somewhere before you have found a job in that place? Wouldn't it be easier to stay in Richmond and apply for jobs across the country and then move wherever you can find work? Your cost of living in Chicago will be much higher than in Richmond.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:12 AM

184 posts, read 245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
What is the value of moving somewhere before you have found a job in that place? Wouldn't it be easier to stay in Richmond and apply for jobs across the country and then move wherever you can find work? Your cost of living in Chicago will be much higher than in Richmond.
Not if you know you really want to live in a particular place... I made the decision to move back to Chicago before I found a job. I ended up finding a job before I actually made the move, but my job search was confined to the city.

Sounds like the OP knows what she wants, understands the downsides, and is willing to make it happen.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:19 AM

Honestly, that salary would be almost impossible to live on here, assuming you actually want to live in a safe, fun, urban area and have enough cash to not only survive but to also enjoy yourself. The good news is that salaries are generally higher in Chicago due to the cost of living being higher. So, if you're making $25,000 in Richmond, you'll likely make more than that for a comparable position when you move here. I was making only slightly more than that about nine years ago when I first moved here, living in a studio, and it was not sustainable. Costs are much higher these days...

If your salary is high enough, I'd suggest Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Wicker Park as the areas most common for young people who first relocate to the city. However, if your salary prohibits that, you could look further north or northwest. Many studios run over $1000/month in those neighborhoods. You'll find that water is included in almost all rents. Gas is usually included if you live in a large apartment building, but you'll likely have to pay for it if you end up in two-flat type of building. Electric, cable, and internet are hardly ever included, in my experience.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:18 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella84 View Post
Not if you know you really want to live in a particular place... I made the decision to move back to Chicago before I found a job. I ended up finding a job before I actually made the move, but my job search was confined to the city.

Sounds like the OP knows what she wants, understands the downsides, and is willing to make it happen.
I can see moving back without a job to a city which you have lived previously, but for me it seem peculiar to move to a city and then find a job. Surely there must be more than one city that the OP find's desirable to live in.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I can see moving back without a job to a city which you have lived previously, but for me it seem peculiar to move to a city and then find a job. Surely there must be more than one city that the OP find's desirable to live in.
True. Although I did the same the first time I moved to Chicago, as well. It was right after I graduated college. I knew I wanted to live in Chicago, so I only looked for jobs in Chicago. Sometimes people just know where they want to live.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:41 PM

My current lease doesn't end for another year, so I feel like I have a good chance to save up. I finally dug myself out of credit card debt, so that should help. Once the time to move gets closer, I'll hit the job hunt harder, but so far, jobs in the field I currently work in (security) pay $3-4 more an hour.bik Chicago than Richmond. I started at my current job at $10.50/hour, and have a 1 bedroom that costs $725 a month. I had to pick up a second job to afford it. I'm planning on looking for a 2 bedroom to share with a roommate once I get there, the rent prices in Rogers Park/Lakeview aren't that much different than Richmond, really. I'm just not sure of which neighbhoods to avoid, which is my main concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: