Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 12:27 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum7hacker View Post
Thank you all for all the new and amazing ideas. I am still not sure if you guys are the conclusion as to whether or not I should go for the Master's program at DePaul or not?
I also wanted to update you guys on the fact that thru the Department head and the CS dean at Loyola have offered me admission to the Master's program. I have hear from my few friends that Loyola's and DePauls BS in CS seems to be at the same level. I have yet to find anyone who has gotten a masters at Loyola in CS or even at DePaul. I know that UIUC, U of C, and Northwestern are at the top of their game, but me getting into those programs will be a miracle. I do have great Math and Physics skills, but no one wants to hire be because I lack engineering degree and that I don't have any programming skills. Therefore, the only option I see is getting a Master's at DePaul or Loyola because I will get the skills for programming and I MIGHT be able to land a job in about two years or so in the vast growing CS field. I am not sure what to do, but I do want a Master's degree in CS, but scared about not finding a job.
Good luck. I was in a similar position to you some years ago and it worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:22 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
Here is the truth of the matter, if you are actually capable of software engineering, not just "programming" you will find a job that will at least give you a chance to prove yourself. You won't get a high paying developer job at a tech company, but you will probably be able to land a $40,000 to $50,000 a year job at a start up or non-tech company.
Absolutely agree.

Add to that....if you are willing to relocate to get experience you should not have a hard time find an entry level gig.

Salary above will be on par.

Develop those programming skills and get the experience. Could easily move up to mid 60's with a year solid full-time work under your belt.

Lastly, do whatever you have to do find one or two internships while your doing grad studies.

Plenty out there.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2015, 07:01 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Lastly, do whatever you have to do find one or two internships while your doing grad studies.
A young and talented colleague where I work started as an IT intern six years ago while working on her MS, within a couple of years she was managing a network operations team and now she's moving into a project management position. She worked long hours and night shifts when needed and became a valued resource, and she never complained about it.

It's all about talent, flexibility, and a willingness to pay your dues.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:12 PM

60 posts, read 127,654 times
I recently applied to DePaul's MS in CS program myself. I got my undergrad in journalism and worked as an editor for over 7 years. I grew tired of the low pay and got bored because the work was too easy. I've been teaching myself programming for the past few months and really enjoy it.

I've also considered UofC, IIT, and Loyola. UofC is significantly more expensive than DePaul on a course-by-course basis. IIT's program seems a bit less friendly towards those without CS backgrounds. I haven't been able to find many opinions on Loyola's program, which makes me think that it doesn't have the reputation of the others.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Fair assessment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden Is Cold View Post
I recently applied to DePaul's MS in CS program myself. I got my undergrad in journalism and worked as an editor for over 7 years. I grew tired of the low pay and got bored because the work was too easy. I've been teaching myself programming for the past few months and really enjoy it.

I've also considered UofC, IIT, and Loyola. UofC is significantly more expensive than DePaul on a course-by-course basis. IIT's program seems a bit less friendly towards those without CS backgrounds. I haven't been able to find many opinions on Loyola's program, which makes me think that it doesn't have the reputation of the others.
Your experience is reflective of what I have seen many others go through -- if you have the time to pick up some programming skills it is not nearly as "intimidating" as some colleges try to paint it. There is very different mix of people that gravitate to technology fields after seeing the realities of the workplace than kids in undergrad situations.

If you are fairly sure of your path, the way the UofC runs their program in 'cohorts' can be an excellent way to go, but if you need more flexibility DePaul is probably a better option, as they have many more sections and more locations.

IIT was very hot for a while, probably back when their long term association with the Galvin Family / Motorola was more of a positive and a solid pipeline into what was a hugely important firm in the telecom space. They still have a joint MS that is targeted especially for such needs -- https://science.iit.edu/programs/gra...eering-mtse-cs The disaster that is now synonymous with Motorola has taken much of the luster from that program, but they still offer some excellent options, including combination offerings for financial fields and data science that can be extremely lucrative paths.

UIC seems to be run for the benefit of the largely foreign students that probably could not earn admission to the much more competitive UIUC CS grad programs, and as such is oddly detached from what could otherwise be a nice partnership with the many employers in the region.

That sort of thing is one of the biggest strengths at DePaul -- it is not uncommon to see many employees of area firms take classes together at DePaul and more than a few of the instructors have either consulting gigs or other employment with area firms.

In my experience, there are instructors at Loyola who have tried to do the same thing, bridging the business world with school, but it seems like the bulk of the success for Loyola is with its medical campus and similar healthcare partners. Nothing wrong with that, but not nearly as broadly applicable as the kind of firms that tend to be more active in the DePaul sphere...

Old 10-21-2015, 08:44 PM

27 posts, read 32,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden Is Cold View Post

The question is do you even have the technical aptitude to complete the technical course requirements of a CS degree? Teaching yourself how to write a few lines of code following examples is one thing, but actually understanding computer science is another.

I see a lot of people trying to get into CS for the same reason people try to get into nursing. They want a higher paying job with better employment opportunities. I also see a lot of people dropping out due to not having the technical aptitude to do it. The result is wasted money and time. A single class cost $3,000 to $6,000 and you need at least 10-15 of them to graduate.

The fact of the matter is that most people don't have the technical aptitude to major in CS. If it were easy, there would be an oversupply of CS grads resulting in much lower pay.

I recommend that you stick to something that you proved you are actually capable of doing such as journalism and editing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago