Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 03:18 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times

Advertisements

I'd look into an area like Lakeview East then which is close to the lake. There's a lot going on there but it's not loud, near some major public transit and pretty much in the middle of between Northwestern and downtown. You should be able to find 1 bedroom places for $1300/month there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 7,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Like the very southern part bordering the city of Chicago and some on the west side of it. Downtown Evanston and near Northwestern is pretty nice. One of the better suburbs you'll see IMO. It's not necessarily cheap though but still offers enough in the way of eating out, bars, and some walkability. Even some public transit goes there from the city. The budget though at least for the nice places there might be at the top end - some parts aren't necessarily as cheap as you might think even though you may equate suburbs to cheaper.

However, since your boyfriend hasn't been accepted there yet and you might be doing something else, I'd suggest something in the city a little south such as Edgewater near the Red Line. Or even a little further south in an area like Lakeview East closer to the lake as that, even though there's a number of shops and eateries on Broadway, is pretty low key.
I will definitely look into Edgewater and Lakeview East. We would probably only have one car but would still rely on transportation most of the time. This might be weird, but I shop at Trader Joe's here in CA and I know they have one in downtown Evanston but are they hard to come by? I've only been to the one downtown. Also, we're very low key as in we don't like to get drunk on the weekends but we still like to see sporting events, go hang out at local bars and walk to restaurants, it's just not a nightly or always weekend occurrence and I think I liked the idea of Evanston because there would be younger people who attend NU even if my boyfriend didn't end up going there. However, I would absolutely consider going a little more south.

Another random question - what is parking generally like? When I used to live in IL I didn't drive and I don't know what to expect but I assume parking to hard to come by in any of the areas mentioned above. What should I look for?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
The question is still not really making a whole lot of sense. Northwestern's Kellogg School of Business is a top ranked program, admission is highly competitive and it rare for anyone without a combination of stellar undergrad grades, top notch test scores and superior work experience to be admitted to the full-time program. The admission standards for the part-time program are essentially the same, with the expectation that students are also working in the kinds of organizations that will support their success. http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/...s-profile.aspx

I suppose that it may be more affordable to rent in Chicago or Evanston compared to At more than $1,800 a month, O.C.'s average rents reach a record - The Orange County Register but you are not really comparing apples to apples -- Rental Listings in Evanston IL - 203 Rentals | Zillow

Evanston is a PRICEY area --Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Edgewater has more than its share of undesirable spots that are inconvenient to either of Northwestern's campuses -- Edgewater Chicago Real Estate - 155 Homes For Sale | Zillow

Orange Co is not exactly a hot spot for young people looking for an walkable urban locale, so there is some logic in considering Chicago, but given the COL it would be wise to have career type employment lined up, silly to put the cart before the horse...

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 07:06 AM..

Old 10-21-2015, 03:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catp View Post
This might be weird, but I shop at Trader Joe's here in CA and I know they have one in downtown Evanston but are they hard to come by? I've only been to the one downtown.
They aren't necessarily hard to come by. Sure there's not one in every single neighbourhood but still enough exist. Within they city, there's a handful - actually there is one on the border of Lakeview and Lincoln Park near Lakeview East.

Quote:
Also, we're very low key as in we don't like to get drunk on the weekends but we still like to see sporting events, go hang out at local bars and walk to restaurants, it's just not a nightly or always weekend occurrence and I think I liked the idea of Evanston because there would be younger people who attend NU even if my boyfriend didn't end up going there. However, I would absolutely consider going a little more south.
An area like a Lakeview East has a good amount of different places to eat, shop, etc and some bars but overall it's not very loud in that sense. It's more laid back than some of the other scenes not too far away from it like Wrigleyville. If you are curious, this is what the main commercial road looks like in LVE. Just follow it along the street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9347...8i6656!6m1!1e1

I've often written about it on here, but I think it's a great part of town. There's a lot of things there, but it's not loud - the people are mostly laid back and cool, it's near the lake and lincoln park, and not far from a variety of public transit options

Most of Chicago is not that loud which surprises some people. It's only loud if you're on a main street where a lot of people hang out, above a loud bar, or maybe in a high rise downtown up many floors where you can hear a lot of cabs. Otherwise, it's quieter than you'd think.

Quote:
Another random question - what is parking generally like? When I used to live in IL I didn't drive and I don't know what to expect but I assume parking to hard to come by in any of the areas mentioned above. What should I look for?
You could either get street parking, which is cost effective, but in areas like LVE or Edgewater, it could be harder to find parking on the street as the areas are decently dense with people. The other option would be to pay extra per month for a private spot. Many buildings don't have this, but some might. You might have better luck with that in an area like Lincoln Square/Ravenswood which is another area you may want to consider and definitely a laid back area. The only downside is that the train service doesn't run 24/7 there, but if you don't care about ever needing an option to coming back after 1:45am or 2am, then it could work completely fine.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
They aren't necessarily hard to come by. Sure there's not one in every single neighbourhood but still enough exist. Within they city, there's a handful - actually there is one on the border of Lakeview and Lincoln Park near Lakeview East.

An area like a Lakeview East has a good amount of different places to eat, shop, etc and some bars but overall it's not very loud in that sense. It's more laid back than some of the other scenes not too far away from it like Wrigleyville. If you are curious, this is what the main commercial road looks like in LVE. Just follow it along the street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9347...8i6656!6m1!1e1

I've often written about it on here, but I think it's a great part of town. There's a lot of things there, but it's not loud - the people are mostly laid back and cool, it's near the lake and lincoln park, and not far from a variety of public transit options

Most of Chicago is not that loud which surprises some people. It's only loud if you're on a main street where a lot of people hang out, above a loud bar, or maybe in a high rise downtown up many floors where you can hear a lot of cabs. Otherwise, it's quieter than you'd think.

You could either get street parking, which is cost effective, but in areas like LVE or Edgewater, it could be harder to find parking on the street as the areas are decently dense with people. The other option would be to pay extra per month for a private spot. Many buildings don't have this, but some might. You might have better luck with that in an area like Lincoln Square/Ravenswood which is another area you may want to consider and definitely a laid back area. The only downside is that the train service doesn't run 24/7 there, but if you don't care about ever needing an option to coming back after 1:45am or 2am, then it could work completely fine.
Awesome! You have been so helpful I really appreciate the feedback.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The question is still not really making a whole lot of sense. Northwestern's Kellogg School of Business is a top ranked program, admission is highly competitive and it rare for anyone without a combination of stellar undergrad grades, top notch test scores and superior work experience to be admitted to the full-time program. The admission standards for the part-time program are essentially the same, with the expectation that students are also working in the kinds of organizations that will support their success. Class Profile | Kellogg Part-Time MBA | Northwestern

Orange Co is not exactly a hot spot for young people looking for an walkable urban locale, so there is some logic in considering Chicago, but given the COL it would be wise to have career type employment lined up, silly to put the cart before the horse...
I can appreciate your feedback regarding Evanston and Edgewater but you're making assumptions about people you don't even know. My question wasn't even about NU and how hard it is to get into the Kellogg School of Business - it's about exploring places to rent. Also, just because I never mentioned employment doesn't mean anything.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I only mentioned those things in the context of the fact that living in Chicago or Evanston "on the cheap" may not be compatible with plans for continuing one's education at Kellogg. For the business school they offer no fellowship / stipends as other graduate programs do -- About Graduate Funding: The Graduate School - Northwestern University

NU's broad Graduate Schools have many opportunities for Assitanceships -- Interdisciplinary Graduate Assistantships and Service Opportunities : The Graduate School - Northwestern University

Old 10-25-2015, 06:15 PM

410 posts, read 491,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The question is still not really making a whole lot of sense. Northwestern's Kellogg School of Business is a top ranked program, admission is highly competitive and it rare for anyone without a combination of stellar undergrad grades, top notch test scores and superior work experience to be admitted to the full-time program. The admission standards for the part-time program are essentially the same, with the expectation that students are also working in the kinds of organizations that will support their success. Class Profile | Kellogg Part-Time MBA | Northwestern
Top full-time MBA programs want potential "all-stars." Yes, a stellar GPA is immensely helpful, but it's just one part of the picture.

Undergrad grades are important, but not that important when it comes to applying to an MBA program. If one has a 3.8+ GPA it surely takes the pressure off the applicant, for sure. But remember this isn't law school where a low/mediocre GPA can put you out of the running at places like UChicago and Yale. Getting into a top law school there two prime ingredients: high GPA and high LSAT score. That's basically it.

When it comes to business school more importance is on work experience (any promotions within the 4+ yrs you've been working) -- they want to see upward trajectory, so I'm not sure what "superior work experience" even means when you say it -- people with "superior work experience" most likely aren't going to attend an MBA program since they're already making the bennies and are past middle-management positions - that's why MBA classes skew young, around 22-29 yrs old; personal essays (crafting a compelling yet honest and genuine story), leadership roles within work and outside etc. It's a more holistic view.

A mediocre undergrad GPA can be somewhat offset by supplement courses (accounting, finance, econ. stats) before applying. The admission committee wants to see initiative when combating that weakness. The danger with taking courses and working full-time is one would have to ace every course alongside coughing up money to pay for the courses. It's not easy and it's not fun. Also, any GMAT score above a 720 can aid in softening that mediocre undergrad GPA.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post

Undergrad grades are important, but not that important when it comes to applying to an MBA program. If one has a 3.8+ GPA it surely takes the pressure off the applicant, for sure. But remember this isn't law school where a low/mediocre GPA can put you out of the running at places like UChicago and Yale. Getting into a top law school there two prime ingredients: high GPA and high LSAT score. That's basically it.

When it comes to business school more importance is on work experience (any promotions within the 4+ yrs you've been working) -- they want to see upward trajectory, so I'm not sure what "superior work experience" even means when you say it -- people with "superior work experience" most likely aren't going to attend an MBA program since they're already making the bennies and are past middle-management positions - that's why MBA classes skew young, around 22-29 yrs old; personal essays (crafting a compelling yet honest and genuine story), leadership roles within work and outside etc. It's a more holistic view.

A mediocre undergrad GPA can be somewhat offset by supplement courses (accounting, finance, econ. stats) before applying. The admission committee wants to see initiative when combating that weakness. The danger with taking courses and working full-time is one would have to ace every course alongside coughing up money to pay for the courses. It's not easy and it's not fun. Also, any GMAT score above a 720 can aid in softening that mediocre undergrad GPA.
I completely agree with you. Did/Do you attend NU?

Old 10-26-2015, 01:42 PM

410 posts, read 491,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catp View Post
I completely agree with you. Did/Do you attend NU?
Kellog is one of the MBA programs I'm looking at due to their Ethics & Executive Leadership courses (focusing on non-profit/public managing), though I won't be applying until a few years from now. My older sister attended N'western for her undergraduate and she's currently consulting for beauty/luxury/fashion goods sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago