Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 10:10 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,109,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Most people are criminals. You just have to put them in the situation to allow them to be.
Huh?
1. Say I go into a "cash only" hamburger or taco joint. I take out a $5 and ask to break for singles. Or a $20 and ask to break for $10s and $5s.

It's like a test to see how people will do the good for no benefit at all. They often refuse. They often say "you have to buy something."

Would you want to do business with a privately owned store with this mentality?

2. I once had a credit card lost downtown.. So I immediately canceled it. A $500.xx swipe at Macy's downtown. Rejected. 2 minutes later, a $300.xx swipe, also rejected.

I was e-mailed the time and store. Go into Macy's, with all the info, asking for their surveillance cameras. I was put with horrible service. They wouldn't even use their cameras to find this perp. They say they'll only use the surveillance camera if a police report is already made.

I told them that I was hopin they get the photos 1st to help make a police report, but they say unfortunately, the other way around has to happen 1st.

When I go to police station, because no money was actually lost, only an "attempt" to steal, they had to ask if they even make police reports on that. I mean, the mentality is there.

2b. I've had bikes stolen outside a post in front of stores with surveillance cameras. You walk in and ask if they can use their surveillance cameras to find the perp who stole, you won't believe how cold they are.

Blah blah blah, lotta examples.

Remember, what I said was "You just have to put them in the situation to allow them to be." It's like leaving a bike in your outside front porch, waiting for someone to steal. Or even hand out pamphlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 10:18 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,285,597 times
Quote:
1. Say I go into a "cash only" hamburger or taco joint. I take out a $5 and ask to break for singles. Or a $20 and ask to break for $10s and $5s.

It's like a test to see how people will do the good for no benefit at all. They often refuse. They often say "you have to buy something."

Would you want to do business with a privately owned store with this mentality?

2. I once had a credit card lost downtown.. So I immediately canceled it. A $500.xx swipe at Macy's downtown. Rejected. 2 minutes later, a $300.xx swipe, also rejected.

I was e-mailed the time and store. Go into Macy's, with all the info, asking for their surveillance cameras. I was put with horrible service. They wouldn't even use their cameras to find this perp. They say they'll only use the surveillance camera if a police report is already made.

I told them that I was hopin they get the photos 1st to help make a police report, but they say unfortunately, the other way around has to happen 1st.

When I go to police station, because no money was actually lost, only an "attempt" to steal, they had to ask if they even make police reports on that. I mean, the mentality is there.

2b. I've had bikes stolen outside a post in front of stores with surveillance cameras. You walk in and ask if they can use their surveillance cameras to find the perp who stole, you won't believe how cold they are.

Blah blah blah, lotta examples.

Remember, what I said was "You just have to put them in the situation to allow them to be." It's like leaving a bike in your outside front porch, waiting for someone to steal. Or even hand out pamphlets.
Sadly.... that is not unique to any city... even more and more small towns today too. Especially how Big city folk move around and get displaced....

My hometown in PA small towns getting transplants from big cities seeking better schools for their children and gang free and cheaper housing and rents... but crime increases and drugs too.

It's all about declines in Morals and Right and Wrong whitewashed..... Morals is not all about sexual aspects.....

Old 11-10-2015, 10:56 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,172,521 times
Quote:
Go into Macy's, ...
How was their wi-fi?

Old 11-10-2015, 11:19 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,109,461 times
Dunno.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:12 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,327,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Not sure how anyone could ever call Chicago "slow" in any way. In my recent travels, it's as fast-paced as anywhere and yes that includes NY. If anything, I noticed that people actually walk a little faster here. Not that it really matters. Maybe Chicago's gotten faster paced in recent years?
I, for one, strongly suspect that's the case. Next time PBS runs some programs about Chicago in the 1960s, for example, take a look at the Loop scenes and note how slow the people are walking compared to today.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:14 PM

41 posts, read 60,506 times
People walk fast in Chicago (and new york) because it's cold. In the summer, people don't really walk very fast.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:16 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,327,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
When I read people in Chicago never even saw.... or get to see Lake Michigan? I say that is false. The Lakefront is almost completely PUBLIC. and plenty of buses go to stops by the Lake. But YOU DO HAVE TO WANT TO GO .....OR TAKE CHILDREN THERE.... You do not have to go to the North side to experience it or its beaches.
This. Same goes for the museums, which that poster also mentioned. Many have "free" days, at least every now and then, so even poor kids can grow up experiencing them and enjoying them, provided their parents are motivated to take them.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:33 PM

403 posts, read 930,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I, for one, strongly suspect that's the case. Next time PBS runs some programs about Chicago in the 1960s, for example, take a look at the Loop scenes and note how slow the people are walking compared to today.
Lol i was totally joking, just to be clear.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:03 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,224,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Blyleven View Post
Chicago has the best food in the country unless you want asian food.
How's the seafood in Chicago?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:49 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,116,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
How's the seafood in Chicago?
Fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago