Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:51 PM

867 posts, read 1,372,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
How many tourists even venture south of Cermak?
Those visiting the Museum of Science and Industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 04:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
On the west coast, we all believe Chicago is exactly like what you see in the "Blues Brothers".
This was a hell of a lot more true 20+ years ago than today. The city is much different today than 20+ years ago, though some of it still exists but not nearly as much.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
How many tourists even venture south of Cermak?
A good number - when they go to Chinatown :P

Old 11-09-2015, 05:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This was a hell of a lot more true 20+ years ago than today. The city is much different today than 20+ years ago, though some of it still exists but not nearly as much.
When I watch the Blues Brothers movie today, what strikes me is how incomplete the Chicago skyline looks. Same with Good Times reruns.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:41 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Seems almost everyone I talk to in my cab in Boston over the years has great things to say about Chicago...even sports talk hosts, callers, etc. I have to sometimes interject that perhaps it's great as long as you're white, yuppie or educated, or gay in Boystown.

But perhaps not so great for large chunks of the city's everyday born-in-Chicago residents, some of whom may reach age 10 never even seeing Lake Michigan, a museum or a pricey professional local sporting event. (Although that goes for the underprivileged in any city, right?)

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 11-10-2015 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-10-2015, 02:17 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
We are country: Seems to be an idea held by coastline dwellers. No, we have a very high population density, a wide variety of city services, and need I mention some of the tallest buildings in the country. NO we are not surrounded by farms or nothingness. Our metro area extends about 2 hours in all directions. What I mean is you have to drive 2 hours approximately outside of the city limits to even begin to see significant farmland. Our suburbs are heavily urbanized.
the city itself is far from it. after all its the 3rd largest city in the US.......even put in an Olympic bid...

Quote:
We're backwards and racist/intolerant: we have a very progressive, culture loving population. Could we do better? Sure, but we're not some bumpkin town where minorities are afraid to walk the streets for fear of a lynch mob.
what city doesn't have nasty racial episodes?

Quote:
We're slow paced: Yes. We know we're not the East Coast. But really the only East Coast city with a much faster is...New York. I had someone from Pennsylvania of all places say that Chicago is slow paced. Honestly, the only cities in the Northeast that could theoretically be faster paced are NYC and Boston, and Boston is believable since their dated layout would lead one to have a "gtfo my way" attitude. But we're a metro of 10 million. Our speed limits read 55. Our odometer register at least 20 over that and no one's pulling us over. Why? Because we move with the flow of the city. It ain't moving slow. Try and drive down the street acting as if you have all the time in the world and watch while cars try and run you off the road for being a nuisance. You don't move at your own pace here. You move fast or get out the way.
I visited Chicago from Boston almost 10 years ago and it seemed like the slowest big city I ever been to.....yet when I lived in Kentucky and Missouri years later and visited Chicago it seemed anything but.....guess its a matter of where u visit from...

Quote:
We're Southern/sound Southern: Yes. We have a lot of Southern cooking. We love Harold and his chicken. No, we don't have Southern accents. Even those here who have ties to Mississippi aren't fully Southern culturally or with their dialect. Our preferred food is either an Italian beef or a hot dog if on the go. We don't have Southern manners nor a penchant for Southern living.
A lot of the black people I met in Chicago have heavy roots in the south esp mississipi Alabama Arkansas and the Memphis area.....A lot of the ones I ran into had a heavy southern sounding accent.....its a massive contrast compared to most of the east coast where the southern black migrants completely lost any trace of a southern accent after 1 generation.....even DC blacks don't have a heavy country accent anymore.....but most blacks throughout the Midwest sound like that to some extent esp in St Louis, Indiana, and to a lesser extent Detroit.....a lot of the blacks from California ive met and heard (esp from south central los angeles and Oakland) merely have a southern accent hit with tranquilizer.....I will say Chicago blacks even the really country sounding ones definitely don't have that southern hospitality......

Old 11-10-2015, 09:10 AM

41 posts, read 60,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Seems almost everyone I talk to in my cab in Boston over the years has great things to say about Chicago...even sports talk hosts, callers, etc. I have to sometimes interject that perhaps it's great as long as you're white, yuppie or educated, or gay in Boystown.

But perhaps not so great for large chunks of the city's everyday born-in-Chicago residents, some of whom may reach age 10 never even seeing Lake Michigan, a museum or a pricey professional local sporting event. (Although that goes for the underprivileged in any city, right?)
So you're saying it has a lot in common with Boston?

Old 11-10-2015, 09:14 AM

403 posts, read 930,037 times
Not sure how anyone could ever call Chicago "slow" in any way. In my recent travels, it's as fast-paced as anywhere and yes that includes NY. If anything, I noticed that people actually walk a little faster here. Not that it really matters. Maybe Chicago's gotten faster paced in recent years?

Old 11-10-2015, 09:20 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
We're backwards and racist/intolerant: we have a very progressive, culture loving population. Could we do better? Sure, but we're not some bumpkin town where minorities are afraid to walk the streets for fear of a lynch mob.
I think Chicago's reputation for being racist and segregated is well deserved.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:59 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I think Chicago's reputation for being racist and segregated is well deserved.
apparently you experienced lynch mobs in Chicago? As that was the comment in the post you addressed....

As for saying Chicago is still a very segregated City. No one denies that... so your assessment had no one denying it... but it is the MANY OTHER Stereotypes others noted.... that are NOT... ALL THE CITY...

When I read people in Chicago never even saw.... or get to see Lake Michigan? I say that is false. The Lakefront is almost completely PUBLIC. and plenty of buses go to stops by the Lake. But YOU DO HAVE TO WANT TO GO .....OR TAKE CHILDREN THERE.... You do not have to go to the North side to experience it or its beaches.

Plenty of Soutsiders shop Downtown. Especially State Street Mall type stores including a Target. Having direct "L" transit. Many who lack much shopping in their Southside poorer neighborhoods. Perhaps they rather not shop in other neighborhood Malls.... for whatever reasons.

Chicago is more unique in that most High-End shopping is Downtown. Rather then most malls in the city. Suburban malls do... but it does keep Chicago's downtown shopping vibrant... and all the tourist it now gets.

Some cities have most in Malls.... leaving their downtowns with less High-End shopping or any in decent amount on a normal Main street today.....

Last edited by steeps; 11-10-2015 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago