Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 07:25 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

II plan on taking my daughter downtown sometime over the holiday season and i have a few questions:

1. If the weather is good, I was thinking of going up to the Riverwalk. I was there when the Michigan-LaSalle section opened this summer and loved it. Question is: I know it is open for walking, but is anything going on, anything open down there during the holidays? Trying to decide if its worth it do this at this time of year.

2. plan on going over to the field museum and then heading DT. Was going to park in GP Garage and walk around Mil Pk, M Daley Pk, and then go over to State to see the winhdows (although I must admit Macy's is a turn-off and I miss the old Field's, Carsons days ). Was thinking of going to Latinicity at Bew lock 37. has anybody been there and, if so, worth it? I heard it was somewhat like Eataly, although on a bit smaller scale. Been to Eataly a few times and like it (although it was insanely crowded)

3. was thinking of stopping outside DT for dinner...going up to Lincoln Pk and eating at RJ Grunts (was raised on Lettuce and my daugher was never tahere and felt I could use some nostalga. Don't get DT the way I used to and don't keep up as well with what's going on down there. So does anyone have any idea of something along Grunts line that is new and worth the stop either DT or any area around it?

Thanks for any suggesitons you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
There's nothing going on along the riverwalk. Walk up Michigan Ave instead and see the lights. Latinicity is nothing special, it's much smaller than Eataly and more of a glorified cafeteria. Go walk around the Christmas market at Daley Plaza instead.

RJ Grunts is right across from the zoo with their Zoo Lights. Hundreds of thousands of lights all over, get to walk around the zoo, it's free - totally go there if you're going to RJ's.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Solid advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There's nothing going on along the riverwalk. Walk up Michigan Ave instead and see the lights. Latinicity is nothing special, it's much smaller than Eataly and more of a glorified cafeteria. Go walk around the Christmas market at Daley Plaza instead.

RJ Grunts is right across from the zoo with their Zoo Lights. Hundreds of thousands of lights all over, get to walk around the zoo, it's free - totally go there if you're going to RJ's.
The extra couple of minutes it takes to get up to Lincoln Park are well worth it -- too many tourists swarm the Loop and North Michigan Ave. The Zoo rarely gets crowded. The Nature Museum is often empty too...

Old 12-15-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The extra couple of minutes it takes to get up to Lincoln Park are well worth it -- too many tourists swarm the Loop and North Michigan Ave. The Zoo rarely gets crowded. The Nature Museum is often empty too...
And puts me a step closer to home in the north suburbs. Frankly i'd be happy finding a new ahand good place I haven't tried anywhere in downtown area. Certainly don't mind diving into south loop as far as cermak or near west side as far as the uc. Just trying to plan a great day in the city over the holidays....,..so suggestions are gratly appreciated

Old 12-15-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Good suggestion, chicago60614. Did consider that and may do it although south end of mag mile doesn't offer the retail cheer that the north end does.....although nothbridge is pretty good.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:01 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,839,150 times
I second checking out Zoo Lights, although it is usually pretty busy no matter when you go. I'm sure your daughter would love to shop along the mag mile so I would recommend that as well. As for places to eat, you could also check Chicago Oven and Pizza Grinders around the corner from RJ Grunts. Good deep dish!

The Chris Kringle market in daley plaza is also a good suggestion. You could also check out the signature lounge in the John Hancock. Have an expensive drink or two and admire the views of Lincoln Park and the city. Always a good way to kill an hour or so, weather permitting.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:13 PM

410 posts, read 492,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I second checking out Zoo Lights, although it is usually pretty busy no matter when you go. I'm sure your daughter would love to shop along the mag mile so I would recommend that as well. As for places to eat, you could also check Chicago Oven and Pizza Grinders around the corner from RJ Grunts. Good deep dish!

The Chris Kringle market in daley plaza is also a good suggestion. You could also check out the signature lounge in the John Hancock. Have an expensive drink or two and admire the views of Lincoln Park and the city. Always a good way to kill an hour or so, weather permitting.
bold: It can get very crowded during certain hours on the weekend, though. I went on a Saturday afternoon and it was rather unpleasant. Lining up for food/drinks was a chore and maneuvering around from one end to another was like being in herd heading to a Japanese train. The setup did it no favors.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:59 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
bold: It can get very crowded during certain hours on the weekend, though. I went on a Saturday afternoon and it was rather unpleasant. Lining up for food/drinks was a chore and maneuvering around from one end to another was like being in herd heading to a Japanese train. The setup did it no favors.
Agreed, this was my experience as well when I went last week.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

thanks, ChiGuy…..Zoo Lights sounds good….in fact, she's done that in the past and loved it. And thanks for reminding me about the Signature Lounge in JHC…..always a great place to avoid the prices of the Signature room by just having a drink. Chicago Oven's on Clark, right?

thanks to everybody for their input. great suggestions, including some places i haven't thought about in a long time. we've had a pretty rough month so i figured a day downtown in the holiday season would be the best thing to lift our spirits.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:58 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
I agree with this. I really want to become a fan of Latincity, but it is a lot smaller than Eataly, and what I thought would be cool would be getting a lot of less-common Spanish and other Latin foods, but it really is more like a food court than anything else, plus buying anything of what they do have by way of products is a weird system where you have to "check out" to get the cost loaded on a card they loan you, and then you have to pay at a separate counter for the value of the items listed on the card. Really off-putting in my opinion, not to mention that it seems like either you have to literally check out twice or they're opening themselves up to huge theft possibilities. The food I've eaten there has been good, and there are a few things I haven't seen very often in Chicago, but I was honestly disappointed during my visit opening weekend. In contrast, when I visited Eataly the first time I was blown away with amazement at the variety of things they had. Even accounting for the smaller size of Latincity, comparing it to Eataly is actually doing it a disservice because it creates expectations that it doesn't even come close to matching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: