Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 09:05 PM

58 posts, read 147,288 times

Advertisements

What is the best/safest route from downtown Chicago to Hyde park early in the morning around 6AM? Especially if you want to avoid the red line on the south side. Is there a bus that runs by the lake? I was told not to take the redline past 47th street because it can be sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 09:28 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,863,366 times
You can take the 6 Jackson Park Express bus along Lake Shore Drive or the Metra Electric commuter train from Millennium Station on Michigan Avenue. Google maps can give you Chicago public transit options.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:50 PM

33 posts, read 41,214 times
Bus #2 on State or Bus #28 on Jackson are also a couple options.

My friend, who lives near UofC, rode the Green Line a few times, but he told me it's pretty sketchy. Hyde Park, from what I understand, is much more mixed, economically and racially, than surrounding neighborhoods, except for maybe Bridgeport (where IIT is located). He used to travel to the end of the route at Cottage Grove (and 63rd), then walk a couple blocks north into Hyde Park. He recommends taking the Metra Electric instead, which runs through the center of Hyde Park and very close to University of Chicago.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:59 PM

8 posts, read 4,248 times
Bus Routes

CTA #6 Jackson Park Express bus travels regularly from downtown Chicago to Hyde Park. Catch the bus southbound along State Street in the Loop. Get off at 55th, 57th, or 59th Street (and Hyde Park Blvd), walk under the train tracks, and continue west to campus. Fare $2.25, estimated ride time: 30 minutes.

CTA #2 Hyde Park Express bus travels between State Street downtown and campus during morning and evening rush hours. The #2 Hyde Park Express stops along Hyde Park Blvd (51st Street), and along Cottage Grove (60th Street). Fare $2.25, estimated ride time: 25 minutes.

CTA #192 U of C Hospitals Express bus travels from the Ogilvie and Union Stations downtown to tbe campus and the University of Chicago Medical Center in the mornings. In the evenings, this route is reversed, traveling from the Medical Center to the Ogilvie and Union Stations.

Metra Train

Metra Electic District Line can be boarded downtown at the Millenium Park, Van Buren Street, or Museum Campus stations to ride down to campus. Disembark at the 55-56-57th Street or 59th Street Stations, then turn right to walk west to campus. Be sure to check the schedule, as the train is very punctual, but may not always be frequent. The fare is about $3.00.

Last edited by StephanieGodfrey; 01-25-2016 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: update ìnormation

Old 01-26-2016, 05:27 PM

796 posts, read 931,673 times
if I'm taking public transportation to hyde park, I'd prefer the red line. then take the 55 bus to wherever going east. I likely wouldn't use the green line because I DO NOT advise walking through washington park at night time because its EXTREMELY dark. you can take the 55 bus from the green line station on 55th street as well, but the bus stop going east is not as well lit as I prefer it to be. at least on 55th and the dan ryan, the 55th bus stop going east is well lit, and usually full of people and lots of folks around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago