Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 04:01 PM

32 posts, read 46,039 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm moving to Chicago from St. Louis in mid March and am looking to live preferably in the Lakeview or Lincoln Park areas. I'd love to have 2 roommates if possible, and would love to pay in the around the $850/mo range for my share. Is there a great forum somewhere to find roommates? I'm moving in pretty short notice so I'm stressing out about getting everything situated.

Also, anything else I should know? I'm working downtown and would be wanting to use the L to get to work each day. I always get the blues before making a big move, and Chicago will definitely be a new experience where I don't know too many people, so any encouraging words you have to say about how Chicago is awesome and I'll love it would also be appreciated...haha.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:52 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,418,638 times
You will love it.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:06 PM

251 posts, read 258,302 times
I would first find a short term sublet on craigslist or a rental on airbnb so you'll have somewhere to stay right away. You'll want to meet potential roommates in person and see the apartments in person (and they'll want to meet you). It'll be a lot easier for you to move into a vacant room in an apartment with two roommates who are already settled in than to try to coordinate with two other people who don't have housing on a location and move in date. I would look at craigslist rooms/shares for available rooms in apartments.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:32 PM

32 posts, read 46,039 times
Thanks for the advice. Yea I've been debating between finding two new relocating people who are in a similar spot vs. finding people who are already settled and are looking for someone to take a room. I wish I had some more time as three weeks between finding a new place and getting everything moved is definitely tough.

For a mid-20s guy who wants to be in the center of a ton of cool, active, safe things to do, would you recommend Lakeview/Lincoln Park? or is there another area that may be great?

Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 PM

57 posts, read 76,522 times
Lakeview has more recent college grads living in it. The Wrigleyville area especially is full of sports bars and clubs and is a good time if you're looking for the early to mid-20s college vibe. Lakeview also has an excellent selection of restaurants as well, but it may not have as many upscale stores as Lincoln Park. Lakeview is less expensive than Lincoln Park without sacrificing too many amenities. It's still a great place to live with many "sub" neighborhoods within it. It's really up to you what kind of vibe/atmosphere you want.

Lincoln Park might not be as crazy or active in terms of nightlife compared to Lakeview/Wrigleyville, but it's no slouch. There are plenty of bars, upscale restaurants and boutiques, and the awesome Fullerton Beach and the actual Lincoln Park itself. Lincoln Park is closer to the Loop and River North, Old Town, and Gold Coast (other fun, upscale neighborhoods). I'd say it has a mix of young to mid 20s as well as lots of young families. I would pick Lincoln Park as it's probably better for mid to late 20s, and it's very close to downtown while maintaining a neighborhood feel. It's probably my favorite place in the city.

Wicker Park could be another choice as well. It's a little hipster, but it has a cool artistic atmosphere to it with plenty of good nightlife and great access to the Loop and O'Hare (if you fly often).

Old 02-26-2016, 06:17 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,449,954 times
First thing, don't have a username about the St. Louis Cardinals.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:40 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
Might want to start with this site for roommates
http://roomster.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago