Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 07:23 PM

7 posts, read 5,647 times

Advertisements

I am an outgoing educated 40+ single woman with a big fat dog who is moving to Chicago in May. I will be working in Oak Lawn. I want to get to know new people in what I hope will be my future forever home Chicago. I am trying to figure out where to live. I plan to rent to begin with and can manage $ 2500-2800 a month for 1+ bedroom apartment. I don't think suburbs are right for me being single. Areas I have been thinking about are West loop (is it too far ?) , South Loop and then someone suggested Hyde Park or Bronzeville. I will be leaving for work early, before 7 am. I don't mind metro but the closest metro to where I will work is red line 95th /Dan Ryan and a bus from there - not a safe area right ? Any advise is appreciated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 06:07 AM

31 posts, read 51,207 times
If you are taking public transportation to Oak Lawn, you are best off just living close to work.

But if not, I'd look into the South Loop.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:55 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Assuming that you're working at Christ Hospital, you could conceivably live downtown and take the commuter rail (Metra Mobile) to work as the Oak Lawn station is one mile from the hospital (maybe there's a hospital shuttle?). That being said, there aren't many trains per day on that particular line, so you'd be pretty constricted by the train schedule.

With your budget, you could definitely live downtown and pay for parking, however. Living in a downtown high rise might be tough with a big dog, though.

FYI, the CTA runs subway/el trains and buses in the city. Commuter rails trains are run by a completely separate agency (Metra).

Old 03-02-2016, 08:06 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
You might be best driving to work.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Need to get some clarifications...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicwoman View Post
I am an outgoing educated 40+ single woman with a big fat dog who is moving to Chicago in May. I will be working in Oak Lawn. I want to get to know new people in what I hope will be my future forever home Chicago. I am trying to figure out where to live. I plan to rent to begin with and can manage $ 2500-2800 a month for 1+ bedroom apartment. I don't think suburbs are right for me being single. Areas I have been thinking about are West loop (is it too far ?) , South Loop and then someone suggested Hyde Park or Bronzeville. I will be leaving for work early, before 7 am. I don't mind metro but the closest metro to where I will work is red line 95th /Dan Ryan and a bus from there - not a safe area right ? Any advise is appreciated !
Oak Lawn is outside Chicago's city limits, but it is directly adjacent to Chicago and there is substantial "cross pollination" of folks from either Oak Lawn or Chicago using the resources of adjacent areas. If you want to get to /from an actual Chicago neighborhood like Beverly that is about a 20 minute bus ride along 95th St.
That said, Beverly has a fairly well deserved reputation as being dominated by city workers, primarily cops and firefighters who are required to live inside Chicago. Does not seem likely that you'd fit in all that well unless you like to hang out with Irish cops / firefighters and their families...

Bronzeville is part of Chicago that has an association with the city's African American legacy and is often touted as "up and coming" for the AA middle class, though the dismal record of job growth seems to put a damper on such things. The range of dining and entertainment lags behind other areas.

Hyde Park is a fairly diverse Chicago neighborhood that is dominated by the presence of the University of Chicago, including its large medical center, and associated academically oriented organizations. It is costly and somewhat harder to get to / from than areas closer to the Chicago's Loop, but does have some nice amenities.

The South Loop truly has seen an explosion of residential units, both rental and condo. There are many people that work in the Loop and have an easy commute to their offices. The relative ability to rely on public transit from the South Loop to Oak Lawn is far more constrained -- any combination of buses and trains would likely be more than double the much more efficient drive of under 30 minutes, especially if you leave before 7AM.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:46 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
West Loop or South Loop are fine. West Loop (west of the expressway) has better food on average than South Loop but South Loop is still fine for that. West Loop might be a little bit more cosmopolitan with its offerings, but both places are good. Just beware that parking in a high rise (or expensive building) in these areas may cost you at least a few hundred extra per month, but your budget is already high.

Hyde Park is a great area too, but kind of shut off from other areas with a lot to do for a single person in Chicago. They have had some new restaurants and bars open there lately but not a ton - you could do a lot worse than it. It's a quieter area than West and South Loop on average but it's a great area too although different from the other two for sure. It really depends on how much you plan on going out as a single person to a restaurant, bar, etc. If you plan on going out at least 3 or 4 days/week, then West Loop around Randolph Street is pretty good for that. If it's only a once a week thing or only a few times a month, then Hyde Park might work.

Commute times are another story though.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 AM

7 posts, read 5,647 times
Thank you all for your advice ! It is very helpful. I will look for a place in the South Loop or the West Loop. I am looking forward to moving to this cool city ��

Old 03-03-2016, 11:52 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Beverly and Mt. Greenwood is even closer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: