Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times

Advertisements

Regarding the Pierre kid who lost in a shootout with the cops?
They make is sound as if he was the typical teen just out horsing around with his buddies, but several other sites show pictures from his facebook page in which he's holding guns, throwing gang signs, etc.

Very reminiscent of the Trayvon Martin situation where the media only showed him in his graduation gown but then the pics of him smoking weed, holding a gun, etc started to emerge.

Where's the fair and balanced reporting from the Trib?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 10:06 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
The Tribune went to hell a long time ago. It has turned into a liberal rag sheet like the Sun Times. When did you ever read an in-depth story about Dick Daley Jr. considering all the bad deals and cover ups his administration was involved in ? There are still a few good columnists but very few. Too many fluff stories, the First section is nothing but ads. I get the impression that they want to drop the printed version and just go digital.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:53 AM

138 posts, read 112,192 times
Because the current PC culture is akin to the Soviet propaganda machine. When something like this happens 99% of people understand the situation, and 99% of people understand that most everybody else understands the situation, but the "real" crime is openly discussing the situation in a truthful manner. That's when you get sent off to the Gulag.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:06 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
Good question, especially since a relative states he wasn't the type to carry guns.

, why don't the police render aid to someone they've shot?

Old 04-13-2016, 01:56 PM

796 posts, read 931,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
Good question, especially since a relative states he wasn't the type to carry guns.

, why don't the police render aid to someone they've shot?
I actually saw a post on his FB page that said something along the lines of that "he only had that gun for facebook pics"

Old 04-13-2016, 03:01 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Regarding the Pierre kid who lost in a shootout with the cops?
They make is sound as if he was the typical teen just out horsing around with his buddies, but several other sites show pictures from his facebook page in which he's holding guns, throwing gang signs, etc.

Very reminiscent of the Trayvon Martin situation where the media only showed him in his graduation gown but then the pics of him smoking weed, holding a gun, etc started to emerge.

Where's the fair and balanced reporting from the Trib?
Except the Trib article doesn't say what you say they're saying. You're ignoring the bulk of the article in order to start a thread under a false premise.
They talk about him being a documented gang member.
They talk about him being in a car that was connected to previous shootings.
They talk about him fleeing the car when it was pulled over.
Etc. etc. etc.
If he pulled a gun on the cops, then the shooting is justified. There is plenty of reason not to give the benefit of the doubt to CPD's version of things these days. There are also eyewitnesses who are casting doubt on the CPD's version.
All of this is covered in the article, including the ubiquitous commentary from relatives who claim he'd never carry a gun (despite frequently being photographed with one)
I don't see only one side of the story being told here. Here is a link to the Trib article. Can you show me where they "made him sound as if he was the typical teen just out horsing around with his buddies" or are you willing to admit that you completely mischaracterized the article to start this thread?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:38 PM

498 posts, read 977,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Except the Trib article doesn't say what you say they're saying. You're ignoring the bulk of the article in order to start a thread under a false premise.
Etc. etc. etc.
If he pulled a gun on the cops, then the shooting is justified. There is plenty of reason not to give the benefit of the doubt to CPD's version of things these days. There are also eyewitnesses who are casting doubt on the CPD's version.
All of this is covered in the article, including the ubiquitous commentary from relatives who claim he'd never carry a gun (despite frequently being photographed with one)
I don't see only one side of the story being told here. Here is a link to the Trib article. Can you show me where they "made him sound as if he was the typical teen just out horsing around with his buddies" or are you willing to admit that you completely mischaracterized the article to start this thread?
They also start going on with quotes from everyone in the neighborhood going all "Why they gotta shoot our babies?" After about two paragraphs of only tangentially related anti-cop fluff I had to quit reading.

The Trib is going the way of the Washington Post. Once a respectable newspaper, now only a step above a tabloid and just riding the reputation it built in the distant past for as long as they can..

Old 04-13-2016, 04:06 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
They also start going on with quotes from everyone in the neighborhood going all "Why they gotta shoot our babies?" After about two paragraphs of only tangentially related anti-cop fluff I had to quit reading.

The Trib is going the way of the Washington Post. Once a respectable newspaper, now only a step above a tabloid and just riding the reputation it built in the distant past for as long as they can..
Why wouldn't they get reactions from the community? That's standard practice in journalism. That's part of telling the "whole story".
I absolutely don't agree with all of their comments, but I know where they are coming from, and those neighbors/relatives have the right to express their feelings whether I agree with them or not.
Are you unaware of CPD's history of unjustified shootings and brutality? Some very egregious cases have come to light the last few years. The CPD has a lot of problems, bad PR being one of them.
So the presence of those comments does not negate the contents of the rest of the article, and completely contradicts the OP's claim that the Trib is "not telling the whole story"

ETA: So, no one can show me where they "made him sound as if he was the typical teen just horsing around with his friends", eh? Maybe we were reading different editions of the Trib, mine being the one that exists in the real world.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:08 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Because journalists are overwhelmingly liberal. They tend to be progressives and very much like the idea of coalescing around a movement, whether it's imaginary or not.

In this case the narrative that is plain to most people is not one they as a body are willing to accept.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:46 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Etc. etc. etc.
Ok, I'll play along.
First, I don't think the link you provided is the original article. The original article didn't say anything about his facebook postings.
While we can cherry pick the story, I think most people would agree that the story is heavily slanted towards a synopsis of "Chicago cops kill another black kid who may or may not have been a criminial thug, who may/may not have pointed a gun at them, who may or many not have been involved in an earlier shooing."
Why are the cops not given the benefit of the doubt and they did their job?

But, when the story includes phrases like this:
"A woman who said she witnessed the shooting told the Tribune the teen was shot as he was scaling a fence.
"They shot him in the air," she said. "His pants leg got caught on the fence and he hit the ground. If he hadn't gotten shot, he would have cleared the fence."
"She said she saw a young boy whom she recognized from the neighborhood trying to jump over a fence. She said she did not see a gun in his hand, but it was dark."

""Everything they said on the news is not the truth," Hudson said, her voice choked with emotion. "It is not the truth. It's not the truth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago