Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,906 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering a move to Chicago after receiving a job offer in Uptown, Chicago. The job is with a company that I would really like and I am eager to move to Chicago, as I love the city. My choice of residence would likely be Lakeview or Lincoln Square.

The job is in Uptown near Sheridan Road between Lawrence and Wilson. I would be looking to potentially use the Wilson CTA stop to commute from Lakeview or the Sheridan and Lawrence bus stop to commute from Lincoln Square.

I am hesitant, however. I have heard that the corner of Sheridan and Lawrence has a reputation for gang violence and that the blocks between Sheridan and Broadway, between Lawrence and Wilson are dangerous. I have also heard that the Wilson stop is dangerous.

This causes me hesitation because I would be in this area every day and during the winter months I would be leaving work in the dark.

My question to you: would you feel safe walking between Sheridan and the Wilson stop and using the Wilson stop each morning and evening - considering that for several months of the year it would be in the dark, albeit rush hour?

Thanks for your help. I hope I can join your great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 12:47 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Its not really the best part of Uptown and can be sort of sketchy. Personally, I walk through there all the time and the vibe can vary depending on who happens to be standing on a particular corner or what have you. As long as you're walking with purpose to and from the stop, I doubt anyone will really hassle you except maybe hitting you up for change. But thats not to say you wont notice the occasional open air drug deal. It happens. Whether or not that bothers you enough to not take the gig, only you can say.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:50 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
This is just a strange question. If you really like the company and the city, why would you even care about the safety. If safety is an issue, then you really wouldn't give a sht about the company.

Maybe you want a good reason to not accept the job, and use crime as an excuse. And therefore ask us to convince you not to take the job and relocate.

Otherwise, if you 1st and foremost want the job, don't worry about safety, unless you're looking for reasons not to get the job.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:51 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Op, im a girl and have walked there with my kids many times. It can be a little sketchy but its not THAT bad. Not worth turning down a job for. Its like any big city. I never felt unsafe. Just dont walk with your head down. Pay attention to your surrounding, dont be naive.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:53 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,484 times
I lived on Sheridan Rd (just moved end of April), used the Wilson stop many times, and it's fine. Stop being a bunch of babies.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:57 PM

92 posts, read 160,677 times
I would feel safe doing that walk you mention. Many people do it without a problem.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:55 PM

846 posts, read 1,399,997 times
I did that walk often. You may get some transient activity from individuals experiencing homeless as 3 homeless shelters are within short distance (Sarah's Circle, North Side, Cornerstone), 1 SRO (915 W Wilson) and Heartland which provides health services to the same at-risk population.

It doesn't bother me, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
This is just a strange question. If you really like the company and the city, why would you even care about the safety. If safety is an issue, then you really wouldn't give a sht about the company.

Maybe you want a good reason to not accept the job, and use crime as an excuse. And therefore ask us to convince you not to take the job and relocate.

Otherwise, if you 1st and foremost want the job, don't worry about safety, unless you're looking for reasons not to get the job.
Thanks for your input. I am looking for a balance here. I do really like the job, but I wouldn't take a job that I like if I thought my safety was going to be at risk every day. If that were the case, I would look for a job that I like equally in a different location.

Thanks to everyone else for their input. I do value it.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:58 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
It's not that unsafe if you practice normal street smarts. The scenery and ambiance can be somewhat depressing at times, if you're the sort who is affected by that, as I am.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:37 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
It has crime and a ton of crazy people and drug addicts, gangbangers, but having lived right near there for 7 years, I quickly found that if you're sane and not in a gang and just going about your business - it was perfectly fine.

I really walked all through that area 1,000 times and never felt personally in danger. That said, I kept my guard up and there were "characters" everywhere. Especially since the areas directly to the north, west and south are extremely nice, fairly wealthy and well kept.

That area you talk is quite a bubble in itself. Just don't act a fool and no one will give you any trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago