Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:09 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
This just isn't at all feasible anymore. It's not that Boomers are inherently smarter than Millennials, it's that Millennials can't get a quality job anywhere without a bachelor's degree and five to seven years work xp.
My kids are having a harder time with employment too, one kid graduated Roosevelt and she is now working her way up, but i had it easier i think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:23 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
And White people don't even apply to minimum wage jobs.

Go to any large corporate chain store like Target, Walmart, and look at their cashiers, being paid Chicago's minimum wage. Mostly Hispanic and Black. Same with Walgreen's and CVS. Same with sales rep in all the cell phone stores: T-Mobile, Cricket, Boost, MetroPCS.
It's mostly due to the demographics in Chicago. Chicago does not have many poor, low-skilled whites that would want to apply to these jobs. If you go to many other cities, or especially rural areas, you will see white people working at minimum wage jobs.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:40 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
It's mostly due to the demographics in Chicago. Chicago does not have many poor, low-skilled whites that would want to apply to these jobs. If you go to many other cities, or especially rural areas, you will see white people working at minimum wage jobs.
There is also a degree of institutionalized racism at play. Chicago is far from being a racist place, but all things equal (education), white people have more wealth, better jobs, access to healthcare, etc. than minorities. This happens everywhere in the U.S. Chicago is not any more guilty than NYC, LA, SF, DC, etc.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:55 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
No, but every time I go to the mall, as any other place, I go by myself. I don't go in groups. So eventually, all the guards would recognize my familiar face walking back and forth all day...

But the pamphlets got me out. Atheism or anti-Zionism. The employees of a store were really vague about it, they did not tell them what the pamphlet was about, only that I handed 1 of their employees something... And then somebody wrote something inappropriate on sign-in for the hiring process and they told them it could have been me. So at their office they went on about a back and forth blame game, did you write this? No. Did you put inappropriate notes in the store and then leave? No, I only handed it directly to the employee and it wasn't inappropriate, did you stare people down? They also on their walkie talkie ask them what I did that day, and they'll say I only walked in and out a couple times.

No probable cause, but they don't give a sht, they go through my camera, see pictures of sewers, say stuff like "you could get arrested if you were caught, you know?" It's all about trying to seem tough.
I am thinking that strange fact is perhaps why they punted you to the curb that day ROTFL

Old 08-26-2016, 08:03 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
I figured someone was going to point this out but why is it necessary.

Yes, I once went to a McDonald's in Galena, IL, which is next to the Iowa border. 100% of the staff there were White.

And some towns in Lake County like Wadsworth or so could have a Tastee-Freez where staff 100% White. But that's essentially the demographics of the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
There is also a degree of institutionalized racism at play. Chicago is far from being a racist place, but all things equal (education), white people have more wealth, better jobs, access to healthcare, etc. than minorities. This happens everywhere in the U.S. Chicago is not any more guilty than NYC, LA, SF, DC, etc.
So basically, I would call this indirect racism. Chicago does not have a lot of direct racism, but indirect racism is virtually everywhere.

Every time someone wants to ask is Chicago a racist city, I would say it like everywhere else has indirect racism.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I figured someone was going to point this out but why is it necessary.
It's necessary because you are implying that no whites work low skilled/low paid jobs in Chicago due to racism. When in reality it's mostly due to demographics.

FYI: Asians are a minority group that are very successful (more than whites on average even).

Old 08-26-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
It's necessary because you are implying that no whites work low skilled/low paid jobs in Chicago due to racism. When in reality it's mostly due to demographics.
If Chicago is 1/3rd White, then why aren't 1/3rd of minimum wage jobs White?

That would not be due to demographics.

A McDonald's in Galena can't hire Mexicans or Whites so it's forced to hire Whites. Not the same thing.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
If Chicago is 1/3rd White, then why aren't 1/3rd of minimum wage jobs White?

That would not be due to demographics.
Demographics is more then just race. It's about education and skills as well when talking about wages.

White people who live in Chicago are largely white collar. Or if not then they're blue collar and often work skilled tradesmen jobs. Blacks and Hispanics in Chicago tend to be "no collar," which is to say they are unskilled and typically work minimum wage type jobs. There are few "no collar" whites in Chicago, although this demographic does exist in many other places where you see white people working low wage jobs.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:

FYI: Asians are a minority group that are very successful (more than whites on average even).
Asians in America are an interesting phenomena. It really depends on WHERE in Asia they come from. Asians from S. Korea, China, and Japan seem to have fewer barriers than Asians from poorer countries. Why that is I cannot say with confidence. I agree that in Chicago, access and opportunity seems to be more about socioeconomic status than racial identity.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Demographics is more then just race. It's about education and skills as well when talking about wages.

White people who live in Chicago are largely white collar. Or if not then they're blue collar and often work skilled tradesmen jobs. Blacks and Hispanics in Chicago tend to be "no collar," which is to say they are unskilled and typically work minimum wage type jobs. There are few "no collar" whites in Chicago, although this demographic does exist in many other places where you see white people working low wage jobs.
Now you're shifting the subject to be about adults. I guess you're telling me that White people never had an "in-between" situation where they started out as low-paying jobs say, during high school or college.

Or maybe White people stay unemployed until they get a high-paying job. I seem to be like that. I've turned down several full-time jobs, because they were all minimum wage. Despite having a college degree.

Regardless of all the sht I state, I'm really asking a question. So far, the only White people that have come forward are baby boomers and that's a different generation.

Fwiw, Bridgeport has some Whites making low wages as they are all mom-and-pop stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago