Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 20,243 times

Advertisements

I am new to Chicago, and considering renting an apartment in the area apparently called "the Ranch Triangle" (although it seems many locals aren't actually familiar with this name). To be precise: the 1800 block of N. Fremont.

I would like to get some opinions regarding the safety at that spot. The street itself around there clearly appears to be one of the more upscale ones in the city; I suppose not as upscale as the area a bit to the east but still very nice.

What worries me is the relative proximity to Cabrini Green and to the area along Clybourn, that to my out-of-towner's eye looks a bit shady as well. Actually, the North Ave. around there also seems somewhat unpleasant; not yet quite sure why.

I just can't imagine that trouble from a really bad neighborhood 6-7 blocks away doesn't occasionally spill over, exponentially more than it would over 20-25 blocks.

To make the question even more precise: compared to, say, 700 W. Diversey (another possible location) would 1800 N. Fremont be significantly less safe?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 12:20 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Plenty safe. 700 W Diversey is nice, too.

Like anywhere else in the city, you should be aware of your surroundings, but these areas are pretty darned nice.

Just to the east of that Fremont address is Halsted, along which you'll find some of the most upscale shops and restaurants in the city. Charlie Trotter's. Barney's Co-op. Lots of ridiculously expensive boutiques and such.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
One thing you'll come to learn about Chicago, especially on the densely populated north side, is that 7 blocks is practically a universe away; and additionally, that crime problems can be extremely localized. You're not going to get a lot of trouble from the Cabrini area all the way up by Fremont. The occasional crime of opportunity? Maybe. Constant spillover? No. About 15 years ago that whole neighborhood was a little touch-and-go, but gentrification has now pushed the true "trouble zone" to within a couple blocks of Cabrini itself.

Another that you'll come to learn is that quite often a main thoroughfare will look kind of ragged even if it runs through a really nice part of town. This is especially true of four-lane streets, but sometimes of two-lane thoroughfares too. I think it has a lot to do with the kind of businesses that are effectively zoned onto those thoroughfares because they have nowhere else to go. It's not uncommon to see several car repair shops on a single block, for instance.

Last edited by Drover; 02-23-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 AM

Thanks! This makes me feel better. This seems to be very different from the situation in Boston, where I am coming from.

I suppose the area around Greenview and Fullerton, yet another potential address, has a similar level of safety? Not sure what kind of neighborhoods are immediately to the west from there (across the river/expressway), but if I understand you correctly, the distance should provide enough of a buffer in any case?

Old 02-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Not sure if this should be a separate new post.

Instead of asking about a bunch of addresses one at a time, maybe I will generalize. We are looking to rent between North Ave and Addison, and as close to the lake as possible (half a mile would be good), but since it's a dead season, we are looking at a number of places that far; Greenview @ Fullerton is an example.

We have a couple of friends living within 3-4 blocks from Lake Shore Dr., between Diversey and Fullerton, and from what I hear I'd consider that as a "paragon" of satisfactory safety.

So, considering the entire area between North Ave and Addison, and between the lake and the river, are there any spots that are significantly less safe than that "paragon"?

Note: I am only asking about safety. I think we have mostly figured out the commuting, amenities and cost trade-offs at this point...

I will appreciate any opinions; thanks in advance!

P.S.: I tried to get some facts using the new incarnation of chicagocrime.org, but was quickly frustrated, as it seems impossible to summarize the statistics for more than a few weeks in a visually comprehensible way, i.e. a map:-) Tried gis.chicagopolice.org but that didn't help much either (you can only look at a two week range). Any better sites anyone can recommend?

Old 02-23-2008, 12:11 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewChicagoan View Post
Not sure if this should be a separate new post.

Instead of asking about a bunch of addresses one at a time, maybe I will generalize. We are looking to rent between North Ave and Addison, and as close to the lake as possible (half a mile would be good), but since it's a dead season, we are looking at a number of places that far; Greenview @ Fullerton is an example.

We have a couple of friends living within 3-4 blocks from Lake Shore Dr., between Diversey and Fullerton, and from what I hear I'd consider that as a "paragon" of satisfactory safety.

So, considering the entire area between North Ave and Addison, and between the lake and the river, are there any spots that are significantly less safe than that "paragon"?

Note: I am only asking about safety. I think we have mostly figured out the commuting, amenities and cost trade-offs at this point...

I will appreciate any opinions; thanks in advance!

P.S.: I tried to get some facts using the new incarnation of chicagocrime.org, but was quickly frustrated, as it seems impossible to summarize the statistics for more than a few weeks in a visually comprehensible way, i.e. a map:-) Tried gis.chicagopolice.org but that didn't help much either (you can only look at a two week range). Any better sites anyone can recommend?
I actually disagree with your friends. I don't think it's safer by the lake. In fact, I consider West Lakeview and Lincoln Park West somewhat safer than out by the lake. Lower density. Homier.

I'd say that's true over to around Clybourn, south of Fullerton or so.

West of Clybourn isn't a bad area. It's just really industrial. Not as many houses. It's a little grittier looking, but I wouldn't call it dangerous.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

West of Clybourn isn't a bad area. It's just really industrial. Not as many houses. It's a little grittier looking, but I wouldn't call it dangerous.
True, south of Fullerton. However, one needs to be careful over by the corner of Clybourn, Damen and Diversey with Lathrop Homes sitting on the west side of Clybourn over there.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
True, south of Fullerton. However, one needs to be careful over by the corner of Clybourn, Damen and Diversey with Lathrop Homes sitting on the west side of Clybourn over there.
Yep. But if you're in for the long haul, the Lathrop homes are being demolished and condos are being rebuilt on the site (not even mixed-income). I wouldn't worry too much about the Lathrop homes since there are relatively few residential options within close proximity to them anyway.

Ranch Triangle is perfectly safe--for the city. I lived on the 1900 block of N. Fremont for a brief time, and there was rarely any trouble. But you still need to be careful. There was a "Lincoln Park Rapist" a few years back who hit some homes in the area, and this seems to happen from time to time. Also, there was a shootout involving the police outside the 7-11 at Armitage and Sheffield a few years ago (some guy tried to rob the place, but didn't realize that there are cops in and out of that place dozens of times a day). This stuff is really really rare in that area, though, and it really shocked the residents. I guess the lesson is that even the safest neighborhood in the city still has issues you wouldn't find in most upscale suburbs.

My biggest problem with Ranch Triangle were the rich snooty neighbors. That place is Stepford Wife central!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yep. But if you're in for the long haul, the Lathrop homes are being demolished and condos are being rebuilt on the site (not even mixed-income). I wouldn't worry too much about the Lathrop homes since there are relatively few residential options within close proximity to them anyway.
Huh? There's private housing all up and down Diversey and Damen east and north of that intersection, respectively. And while it may be demolished "some day," they don't appear to be in any hurry to do it. That decision was made, what, two years ago? And as best as I can tell, not one building has yet had a rendezvous with a wrecking ball.

Also, last I heard, at least 2/3rds of the new development was going to be low-income. Did this change? And if so, when?

Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
The Lathrop Homes have been in the "process" of being vacated and demolished for like 10 years! It may be another 10 before it actually happens, if it ever does. When I lived near Belmont and Western in the late 90's people thought they were coming down very soon...

Btw-The north end of the Lathrop Homes is almost adjacent to Roscoe Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago