Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 04:35 PM

26 posts, read 68,651 times

Advertisements

My partner (the South African guy, 33yo) has a job opportunity in Chicago and I (the Detroit guy, 28yo) in Schaumburg. What neighborhoods in Chicago should we target for rent? Ideally, we can both use mass transit for the commute, but if not possible, I'm a Detroiter and very much used to commuting in a car on crowded freeways even if costs me years off my life and a deteriorated youth so I can make a car commute work as long as its under 1 hour each way on average. Things we value in a neighborhood are walkability, a little bit of bar and restaurant sort of scene (but doesn't have to be excessive) and proximity to recreation where we can take our two dogs. Rent on a high end would be about $3500 (I'm cheap, he might say $4,000).

Thanks for your help!! Excited to be your neighbor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 05:19 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
To keep your commute at no more than an hour, I would suggest Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, maybe Jefferson Park. I definitely would not recommend lakefront neighborhoods.You might have a tough time with 2 dogs. Definitely don't need to spend that much.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:43 PM

92 posts, read 92,295 times
Anywhere near the Kennedy, from Logan square, avondale, and northwest, but it gets sleepier the further northwest you go. Let me just say, you can't beat those boulevards in Logan square for recreation.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:44 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
To keep your commute at no more than an hour, I would suggest Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, maybe Jefferson Park. I definitely would not recommend lakefront neighborhoods.You might have a tough time with 2 dogs. Definitely don't need to spend that much.
I agree with this list. I would throw in Irving Park as an option too. The OP will want to look at these NW neighborhoods if he wants to stay in the city of Chicago. That area (NW neighborhoods) are great for dogs. Definitely a more residential feel overall (especially Jefferson Park), and you will be close to large neighborhood parks, restaurants, shopping, etc.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:42 PM

26 posts, read 68,651 times
Thanks for the responses guys. We will be checking out some neighborhoods this weekend!

Old 10-11-2016, 02:53 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,172,418 times
The Kennedy is a nightmare at pretty much all times of the day. I personally love Lincoln Sq. My first apartment was in Lincoln Sq. and we had a yard. It wasn't big, but enough for some dogs.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:46 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Is your office in Schaumberg close to the Metra Schaumberg station? If it is, then maaaaaaybe you can find something workable where you get onto the train at the Western Avenue stop or Union Station. It's not exactly ideal, but you might find something workable with either biking or taking a bus to one of these stops if the stretch from Schaumburg station to your workplace isn't excruciating and you value not having to drive for your commute. The other possible mass transit commute option for you would be the Blue Line if there's an express bus that'll take you from the Rosemont stop to your workplace, though that seems unlikely.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-11-2016 at 04:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago