Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

Just because someone can afford $1600/month doesn't mean they're in any position to buy a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 04:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjellens View Post
How much of a headache is it to drive from Roscoe to "downtown"? I have a 35-75 minute commute to work in Suburban Detroit, which is not nearly like a Chicago commute, but I am a little used to the drive. I would most likely be heading out of the city for work (likely destinantion...O'Hare). My wife on the other hand would probably go "downtown" often during the day.
The Kennedy (ie highway you take to O'Hare) is brutal. I live in Roscoe Village and work in Rosemont, overlooking O'Hare. I don't own a car, but take the company car home occassionally. If you leave your house at 7, you're probably looking at just under an hour to get to Rosemont. If you leave your house just before 6, you'll be at your office in 25 minutes.

With the Blue line slow zones slowly being eliminated, it takes me about the same commute time taking the Belmont bus to the blue line, the blue line to Rosemont, and a Pace bus to the office as it does to sit in bumper to bumper traffic. Anytime I drive and fail to leave early enough, I regret it.

So keep that in mind. There's a big difference between hour long commutes, and hour long commutes where you are in traffic the entire time.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
How much of a headache is it to drive from Roscoe to "downtown"? I have a 35-75 minute commute to work in Suburban Detroit, which is not nearly like a Chicago commute, but I am a little used to the drive. I would most likely be heading out of the city for work (likely destinantion...O'Hare). My wife on the other hand would probably go "downtown" often during the day.
Take Ashland or Western south to Elston. Depending on where you need to go downtown the directions from that point would be different. I do not think it would take more than 40 minutes max (and that is in rush hour.) Sometimes it takes me as little as 15 minutes to get downtown from Roscoe Village without using 90/94.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phl_Gd View Post
Why does Rogers Park not seem to be getting better inspite of Lake proximity, schools etc.??
Because of its proximity to crappy parts of Evanston and Edgewater. For Rogers Park to turn around its surrounding areas need to first. Which is happening in Edgewater, but not really in Evanston.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:37 PM

391 posts, read 1,303,250 times
Wow I just spent a few days in evanston. Didn't notice any bad areas but then wasn't really looking for em either.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
Wow I just spent a few days in evanston. Didn't notice any bad areas but then wasn't really looking for em either.
It is best not to look for them. Generally, one of the "bad" parts of Evanston is the part that is next to Rogers Park around Howard.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 AM

16 posts, read 50,201 times
Considering we dont know that we will for sure stay for 5 or more years in the same area we prefer not to purchase a condo at this point. Definately in the future if we like it though.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:30 AM

During the spring, summer and fall I would be leaving around 5:15-5:30 am to get to O'Hare. I hear the traffic isn't so bad at that time. On the way back home in the evening is the toss up. A friend I will be working with said he checks the traffic websites before he leaves. Sometimes he just stays late at work in order to let some of the chaos that is The Kennedy clear out.

How about South Loop? Nice area? I hear it was pretty bad 5 years ago.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
During the spring, summer and fall I would be leaving around 5:15-5:30 am to get to O'Hare. I hear the traffic isn't so bad at that time. On the way back home in the evening is the toss up. A friend I will be working with said he checks the traffic websites before he leaves. Sometimes he just stays late at work in order to let some of the chaos that is The Kennedy clear out.

How about South Loop? Nice area? I hear it was pretty bad 5 years ago.
Yeah, if you're leaving at that time, you'll be there in 20-25 minutes (from Roscoe Village). I'd guess add another 15-20 minutes if you're coming from the South Loop, depending on how long it takes you to get to 90/94.

I'd say stick with the Roscoe/North Center/Lincoln Square area. The south loop is nice, but it still lacks the amenities established neighborhoods like the above have in droves. Plus, location wise, it's much more family friendly, not to mention the easier commute will give you 30 minutes more with your family in the eveniings than would be the case if you went down to the south loop.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:03 AM

Good advice...thank you. I think the only way we would move to south loop is if proximity to lake/downtown/museums takes priority. It seems to me that Roscoe is more centrally located which is good for me and my commute. I would be working for a construction company that works everywhere. They have continuous work at O'hare, last year they reconstructed the Ryan, this year they are building a tunnel right by the museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago