Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:41 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,865,334 times

Advertisements

I've been amazed that recently on several evenings (non-raining) that there have been virtually no taxis roaming in River North and I had to eventually call an Uber. There used to be so many that they would fight over me. I guess it is a combination of COVID and competition from the ride-sharing services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 03:00 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,562,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I've been amazed that recently on several evenings (non-raining) that there have been virtually no taxis roaming in River North and I had to eventually call an Uber. There used to be so many that they would fight over me. I guess it is a combination of COVID and competition from the ride-sharing services.
Taxis have been declining outside of Michigan Avenue and the airports for a long time. Add COVID to the mix and it shouldn't surprise you that there are fewer taxis around in River North.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:50 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,413,679 times
Quote:
It's definitely COVID, because many downtown offices remain closed, most big events, conventions, concerts, and sports are still cancelled or not going on right now, and tourism across the entire world has taken a massive hit. It doesn't surprise me there are less taxis, and probably less Uber/Lyfts in operation right now.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:13 AM

69 posts, read 77,790 times
When I lived in RN, I often could not find a taxi. Even at my office on the river, taxis could be hit or miss. I think it is because ride-sharing services like Lyft are more popular.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:22 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,181,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
It's definitely COVID, because many downtown offices remain closed, most big events, conventions, concerts, and sports are still cancelled or not going on right now, and tourism across the entire world has taken a massive hit. It doesn't surprise me there are less taxis, and probably less Uber/Lyfts in operation right now.
Actually it's been since Uber really took off 2-3 years ago that hailing a cab on the street became unusual outside of the Loop or literally on Michigan Ave. You can still find them at cab stands sometimes, and on arterials during rush hour but outside of that it's really difficult to hail a cab on the street anymore.

You used to be able to reliably hail them on the street pretty much anywhere between 18th Street and Evanston as long as you were within a mile of the lakefront parks, and a few inland areas like Wicker Park, even Logan Square 20 years ago you could pretty easily hail a cab on the street. Not as easy as downtown, but within 5 minutes or so.

These days, though, even downtown you might not be able to find a cab in 5-10 minutes.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:22 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,413,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Actually it's been since Uber really took off 2-3 years ago that hailing a cab on the street became unusual outside of the Loop or literally on Michigan Ave. You can still find them at cab stands sometimes, and on arterials during rush hour but outside of that it's really difficult to hail a cab on the street anymore.

You used to be able to reliably hail them on the street pretty much anywhere between 18th Street and Evanston as long as you were within a mile of the lakefront parks, and a few inland areas like Wicker Park, even Logan Square 20 years ago you could pretty easily hail a cab on the street. Not as easy as downtown, but within 5 minutes or so.

These days, though, even downtown you might not be able to find a cab in 5-10 minutes.
Yeah, I was mainly referring to the Loop/River North and surrounding areas. I too have noticed a distinct lack of taxis in recent years pretty much everywhere else. Hell sometimes it feels like I see more taxis in the suburbs than I do some city neighborhoods nowadays.

But as far as COVID, everything has taken a hit, even Uber/Lyft demand. There is virtually no tourism going on right now, and things have barely opened back up. Downtown has felt like a ghost town for the past 4 months. The demand isn't there, and probably won't be back for the near foreseeable future.

I do wonder what the future of the taxi industry holds from here. COVID has already put many companies and businesses holding onto a shoe-string out of business.... taxis possibly could be another example of that.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:09 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,865,334 times
So it's even worse now. You can stand on a corner in River North at night and never find a cab. Perhaps not surprisingly, Uber has really jacked up their prices at times. Rides that used to be $16 (Gold Coast to Pilsen) are now routinely $30-$45 at night.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:58 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,889,753 times
I haven’t used a taxi/cab in years. Didn’t know they were still around in mass. This doesn’t surprise me at all that they are becoming less and less visible with each passing day. COVID just accelerated the inevitable.

I only use Uber/Lyft when needed, and don’t even think about using a taxi/cab.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:18 AM

291 posts, read 202,673 times
Quote:
So it's even worse now. You can stand on a corner in River North at night and never find a cab. Perhaps not surprisingly, Uber has really jacked up their prices at times. Rides that used to be $16 (Gold Coast to Pilsen) are now routinely $30-$45 at night.
Is downtown mostly a ghost town these days? I left last Nov and thought about coming back, but not really sure its worth it.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:57 PM

2,950 posts, read 5,201,732 times
I think the Curb taxi app, in a few major cities like Chicago, NY and Boston, is a way to order a cab without calling a phone number.

I think you can pay and tip thru the app, like an Uber. Maybe even make a reservation.

Plus, if Chicago is like here in Boston, there is never a surge price in a cab, unlike rideshare.

Yes, there are far fewer cabs in Boston cruising the streets and sitting at cabstands nowadays. Many drivers left the industry or are still on pandemic unemployment.

I drove a cab in Boston for years. Some people don't realize a cab is cheaper than Uber if just going a mile or less. At least in most cities, I believe. Cabs don't have a booking fee and a minimum of maybe $5 just to get in. Cabs start at $2.50 to $3.00+ to get in, but no booking fee. And that's before encountering a possible big surge price on Uber. Yes, on medium to long rides, rideshare does tend to be much cheaper than cabs, even if no surge pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: