Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 AM

9 posts, read 35,558 times

Advertisements

I'm not from Chicago, but just visited and my family and I went to Cafe Ba Ba Reeba Cafe Ba Ba Reeba - Home. It is a Tapas and Paella restaurant. The food was amazing, but the best part was the pitchers of Sangria. If you do go, I would definitely suggest the Black Raspberry Sangria!!

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 AM

104 posts, read 521,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Sure we do. We just need to know what kind of bars and restaurants.
Fun ones! Is that too vague? Lol!

I don't really know what kind. Let's see, we're all straight, so preferably no gay bars. We're all married, so no "meat market" types either. We're not full of ourselves either, so no "stuffy" places. Just fun places.

Restaurants.....Personally I want to try a authentic deep dish Chicago pizza, so if you know of one, I'd love to hear of it. Maybe a "you must go to" kind of restaurant, one that we really need to experience while we're there.
I don't think any of us are interested in fine dining, if that helps.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I'd go to Gino's East for pizza- it's touristy, but hey you're tourists so who cares! (It's where I take family and friends when they come!)

If you like musicals I'd definitely suggest seeing Wicked.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post

I don't really know what kind. Let's see, we're all straight, so preferably no gay bars. We're all married, so no "meat market" types either. We're not full of ourselves either, so no "stuffy" places. Just fun places.

Restaurants.....Personally I want to try a authentic deep dish Chicago pizza, so if you know of one, I'd love to hear of it. Maybe a "you must go to" kind of restaurant, one that we really need to experience while we're there.
Go to Geno's East or Lou Malnati's for an amazing deep-dish pizza. As for bars, there are probably several thousand in the immediate area if you can put your mind past that. I suggest going up towards Wrigleyville for a lively, party-till-you-drop bar experience. While downtown be sure to head up to the John Hancock Observatory at night and get the best view of the amazing city below. Then there is the Field Museum, the Museum of Science & Industry, the Adler Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium, Art Institute of Chicago, etc, etc. As for restaurants, there are also umpteen thousands of them in the city, including the #1 rated restaurant in the country (I forget its name right now, sorry!), so you have TONS of options. There are touristy ones, fine dining, cheap dining, fast-food, chains, Chicago-food (ie italian beefs and dogs, etc) restaurants, every ethnic restaurant you can possibly think of, etc. Be sure to stroll north Michigan Avenue and Oak Street for fine shopping, some of the best in the entire world. You can also check out the Blue Man Group, Wicked, Jersey Boys or maybe a symphony if youre into that kind of thing. To be honest, you can spend a lifetime downtown and not get bored, 2 nights in the city is too short.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,602 times
just go to the crappy hanguppe (sp?) place and call it a night. that should suit six married ladies just fine. you can sing all the bon jovi sonfs you want while sipping stoli raz/7..

Old 03-04-2008, 01:08 PM

58 posts, read 228,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post

Lou Malnati's is great for Chicago style pizza. If you're in the mood for Latin, try Adobo Grill in Oldtown or Topolobampo...they're both great and lively atmospheres. Adobo Grill prepares FRESH guacamoli right in front of you!

Hit up Division & Rush streets for some good bars/clubs (i.e. Tavern on Rush) It's trendy, but not stuffy in my opinion. I don't recommend Navy Pier, unless you're dying to go on a Ferris Wheel. The food is average and overpriced.

If you're in the mood for seafood, go to Joe's Seafood...it's awesome! Some other typical favorites are Maggiano's, Frontera Grill, Wildfire, Weber Grill, Lalo's (Mexican), Fogo de Chao (Brazilian steakhouse).

OPSMAN

Old 03-04-2008, 02:38 PM

Joe's is awesome (like the best meal I ever had), but very expensive- worth every penny, but not good for those looking to save.

I know Chicagoans seem to like it, but I thought Maggiano's was only a little better than Olive Garden.

Wildfire was very good (but the SO got sick afterwards and we've always suspected it was food poisoning)

Weber Grill was OK, but kind of forgettable. (wow I'm kind of harsh today huh?)

And I can tell ya how Fogo was on Sunday because I'm going there on Saturday!

Places I like: Republic (Pan-Asian place), Francesco's Forna (Rustic Italian), Penny's Noodle Shop (cheap Asian- mostly thai)

Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
I agree with you regarding Maggiano's and the Weber Grill. Definitely nothing to write home about, but not bad either.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:30 PM

391 posts, read 1,303,250 times
The one thing bout maggianos is their servings are huge (least at the one in michigan).

Old 03-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Very true! I got a half order for lunch and had it for dinner too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago