Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:09 PM

201 posts, read 279,693 times

Advertisements

As someone mentioned before, South of Irving Park Rd and East of the river is a pretty good general guidline for your apartment search if you want to be around young professionals. Obviously some pockets of that area are more family oriented, but anywhere in that area will be walking distance to bars and relatively close to public transportation. Make sure you either have a parking spot included, or you are on a quiet enough street and far enough west to have no problem parking on the street.

While there are a few clubs here, Chicago is definitely a bar town so I wouldn't come expecting a club scene anything like NY or LA. That said, there is no shortage of awesome bars.

Outdoors wise, since we lack hills that takes alot of activities off the table, but there is plenty of sports leagues, the lake to boat/paddleboard, kayaing on the river, cheap golf courses, beach volleyball, tons of places to run and bike, including a free dirt jump course, some ok fishing nearby. Be prepared for winter though when all that goes away.

Lastly, you may want to slightly temper your expectations for the ease of transitioning to the Chicago real estate market slightly. As a top producer in Florida, I am sure you have some savings which will help, but Chicago is uber-competitive and is a complex fabric of neighborhoods and sub-neighborhoods that may take some time to learn and master. I am sure you will get a foothold eventually, but you may want to live somewhat frugally in the beginning.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:09 PM

92 posts, read 92,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
As someone mentioned before, South of Irving Park Rd and East of the river is a pretty good general guidline for your apartment search if you want to be around young professionals.
Don't forget the Milwaukee corridor(Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan square). All west of the river but are currently some of the hottest neighborhoods for young professionals.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 PM

173 posts, read 111,800 times
Chicago fits your requirements.
For the rest of your life of your profile beside the appartment plan on providing additional at least 5K net.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,486,704 times
I have lived in both Portland and Chicago. Having experienced both I really believe for your wants and needs Chicago is much better especially in your line of work.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 5,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1232 View Post
Hello everybody! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and provide your insights and experiences! So here's my story: I'm from a smaller town in Florida (Port Saint Lucie) and am going to be moving away from there soon because it IS NOT good for someone my age; mostly geared towards people raising families and retirees. So I'm looking for an area that matches what I'm looking for. I'm visiting Chicago in June to see if I like it in person but figured I would ask the locals some questions first to find out more information! Also, my job is easily transferred and very well paying so I'm fortunate enough to not have that restraint. So here's what I'm looking for:

1. Lots of people of my own, preferably recent college grads or young professionals. I've heard a lot of people who graduate at the Universities in Florida move to Chicago. Being that I'm 24 years old and single, it's important to me to be able to socialize with lots of young women my age.
2. GREAT NIGHTLIFE. I know Chicago is famous/notorious for their food and am definitely excited for that! But I'm really interested in nice bars, nice restaurants and good night clubs (especially techno clubs).
3. I'm going to be touring apartments when I visit in June. What areas do you think would be of the most interest to me to live in? I want to be close to downtown and surrounded by a lot of people my age. I can go up to $2000, maybe a little more. Just need a one bedroom.
4. Is there a decent amount of outdoorsy stuff to do here? Being from Florida, I guess that is one area I got spoiled.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this and provide advice! the other cities I am considering are Philly, Denver, Madison (WI), and Tampa. So if you or someone you know has lived in any of those cities, please feel free to provide your input on that as well! Thank you so much and have a great day!
Chicago is rich with 20 somethings and a social life especially in the near north and North side neighborhoods. You can't go wrong here if that's what you are seeking. You've got rich dance clubs, nice bars, world class food, live music(good jazz, blues to punk rock), comedy clubs, broadway theatre, and so forth. The only places I have been that top Chicago in cultural entertainment and nightlife diversity with reasonable distances of each other are NYC and maybe The Bay Area.
That budget and your preferred, look at OldTown, Lincoln Park, East Lakeview, and WickerPark.
No there is not outdoorsy things to do here. The lake is great 3 mo of the year but people don't live here for nature, it's about the city life.

Good luck! One thing I will add that coming from Florida, expect brutal winters and a lot less sunlight,

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago