Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:01 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I mean..I get your point, but he is hardly "some local rapper" anymore.
OK sure, I just never heard of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
The guy just won a Grammy, lol. I'm almost 40 and I even know who he is.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:06 AM

529 posts, read 647,987 times
I'm all for it, he put his money where his mouth is. Perhaps other people of wealth who say they care about underprivileged kids in our country can also help donate and take some of the burden off the middle and lower classes.

I just hope the money doesn't get swallowed up in the black hole that is Illinois government.....but it probably already has.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:25 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Yep. 3 Grammys, in fact. First streaming-only album to win a Grammy. And his tour is pretty much sold out with dates in big arenas. (I'm also a mid-30s white guy and I know who he is. )

By the way, if you go to his website, the landing screen is a donation link to CPS, so he's doing a good job of both giving of his own money and encouraging philanthropy. And the guy is only 23.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:51 AM

605 posts, read 712,378 times
Waste of a million dollars. These people don't have track records of good money mangement and wise spending. He would have been better off giving individual schools or even specific teachers money for specific programs. I don't trust CPA to spend it wisely AT ALL. Oh well.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:38 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Waste of a million dollars. These people don't have track records of good money mangement and wise spending. He would have been better off giving individual schools or even specific teachers money for specific programs. I don't trust CPA to spend it wisely AT ALL. Oh well.
Sure, sunshine. He is also giving 10K to individual schools and will kick in 10K parcels for every 100k others collectively donate.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
As far as celebs from Chicago go, I'd say it appears that he's definitely trying to help the community. But unfortunately I think the real truth could be heard from the more ratchet, urban rapper Lil Bibby who I heard speaking in an interview with DJ Vlad of VladTV fame. Lil Bibby essentially stated that Chance's core market really consists of more middle-class (and above), hipster / suburban / mixed ethnicity in nature (think the new Kanye West but cooler & more laid back). Bibby basically said while Chance is a cool dude (and certainly puts in more effort for the community than say Kanye West), the real hood doesn't care if Chance is a role model. It's not really going to alter the core problems going on in the hood.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:15 PM

796 posts, read 931,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
As far as celebs from Chicago go, I'd say it appears that he's definitely trying to help the community. But unfortunately I think the real truth could be heard from the more ratchet, urban rapper Lil Bibby who I heard speaking in an interview with DJ Vlad of VladTV fame. Lil Bibby essentially stated that Chance's core market really consists of more middle-class (and above), hipster / suburban / mixed ethnicity in nature (think the new Kanye West but cooler & more laid back). Bibby basically said while Chance is a cool dude (and certainly puts in more effort for the community than say Kanye West), the real hood doesn't care if Chance is a role model. It's not really going to alter the core problems going on in the hood.
I'm a fan of what he's doing in the community, but not necessarily a fan of his music. and that's mainly because I don't like how he raps or the heavy gospel influence in his music.

but my 13 year old daughter loves him and his music. plus he's from our area.

that being said, I would not compare his music to kanye. and not even kanye's early music either which is a lot more comparable to the stuff kanye currently does.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:22 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
lol. I'm 72 and even I know who he is. I probably wouldn't, though, if he didn't do those KitKat commercials. Chance the Wrapper.

He's a cute kid. I wouldn't listen to rap if you held a gun to my head, but he seems to be a decent person.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:06 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:
I'm over 50, I hate rap, and I had heard of him before this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: