Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 11,418 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am thinking of potentially renting in west loop....help much appreciated...

1) What are the boundaries

2) How safe is West Loop? I will be working downtown n there will be times that I will catch a cab at 2 am....

3)Any other advice on West Loop.

Thanks much

Monica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 06:11 PM

968 posts, read 2,664,868 times
Kind of varies , but I think consensus on the eastern boundary would be the Chicago River.. Northern boundary would be Fulton or the tracks to the north .. There are a lot of developments from there south to Washington that are sometimes considered 'West Loop - Fulton Gate' . The western boundary is kind of flexible .. there's east of the expressway , and west of the expressway where the term 'West Loop' has been used to describe the neighborhood as far west as Racine.. Southern Boundary would be Van Buren or Harrison Street .. The neighborhood is reasonably safe, but parts are quiet at night ( little foot traffic or businesses) .. Greektown is typically hopping until the wee hours .. There's lots of police presence in the loop and Greektown, so .. Further west could be a little more perilous walking around at certain hours. You shouldn't have a problem grabbing a cab at that hour from the office in the loop ( If your in a typical large office, building security might help).. The west loop is a bit quieter than Near North/River North/LP , but IMHO you're still close enough to head into the action, and leave to more quieter surrounding when you tire of it .. There's a Jewel, a Dominicks, Presidential Market, a 24 Hour Walgreens and most of the conveniences of any other neighborhood . There are qute a few condos for rent ( or there were before 5/1) , so you should be able to find a very nice place if you're willing to spend a little $$..

Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
I can see Racine, although I think Greektown and Little Italy shouldn't be absorbed into a newcomer neighborhood like the west loop. Halsted would be preferable, but no biggie - I would say if anyone tries to sell you on anything beyond 1400 W. as the west loop that they are a con artist.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:50 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
^ I agree for the most part, but add IMO nothing west of the Kennedy Expressway is West Loop.^

Furthermore there is no "West Loop" neighborhood.

West Loop Gate is a neighborhood.

The boundaries for it are: Lake Street on the North, The Chicago River on the East,The Eisenhower Expressway to the South, and The Kennedy Expressway to the West.

http://maps.cityofchicago.org/mapchicago/viewer.htm

Last edited by Avengerfire; 05-19-2009 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ I agree for the most part, but add IMO nothing west of the Kennedy Expressway is West Loop.^

The boundaries for it are: Lake Street on the North, The Chicago River on the East,The Eisenhower Expressway to the South, and The Kennedy Expressway to the West.

" + theTitle + "
Agreed. But lots of realtors take liberties with designation and stretch it pretty far west, probably thinking the name ' Near West Side' would be off-putting to some .. the general challenge is delineating a 'neighborhood' or community, that, for the most part, had virtually no residents 25 years ago ( other than some remaining SROs on Madison and the beginnings of PT) . My area of West Loop - Gate was light industrial from the 1880s thru the loft conversions / construction of the 1990s .. The real residential area south of me was pretty well decimated by Mayor Daley Senior and the bulldozers ( and the Avondale/ Dan Ryan expressway) ..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
"Furthermore there is no "West Loop" neighborhood."

this highlights why the Community Areas should in fact always be included in discussions about neighborhoods.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 AM

393 posts, read 1,217,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

" + theTitle + "
I agree; the "West Loop" would be the western area of the Loop neighborhood, between the River and the El tracks, that is everything along Wacker, Franklin, and Wells Streets.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 11,418 times
Thank you guys! Appreciate your adviceMonica

Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM

504 posts, read 1,492,987 times
Like the South Loop, the West Loop has no need for "boundaries." It's only limited by the imagination of realtors. For example, here are some HUGE, WEST LOOP CONCRETE LOFTS FOR RENT!! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/1178840595.html - broken link) that are conveniently located on Washington St a couple blocks west of Western Ave.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM

I guess then the West, West Loop would be, say, Austin or Oak Park ... :0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago