Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:47 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town and special MLB city. No place like it. Chicago alone has had the distinction of having teams in both the National and American Leagues throughout their history.

As we start this year's MLB, still celebrating the Cubs' remarkable world championship last year and still filled with Cub euphoria, my hope is that we continue to embrace both of our major league teams and all the history and tradition that goes with the long time status of baseball on the North Side and the South.

Yes, my favorite baseball team is the Cubs. But truth-be-known (and I may be an outlier in my double allegiance), my second favorite team is there White Sox.

So here's hoping for another championship on the North Side and a good year on the South. 2005 and 2016 were special years for this city. Let's celebrate being in a town with two MLB teams, each well over a 100 years old. No other place can say that. ivied walls and exploding scoreboards. Go Cubs Go and Good Guys Wear Black. Clark & Addison and 35h & Shields. GO CUBS! GO SOX!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 09:23 AM

150 posts, read 295,223 times
I was just discussing this with my fiance last night - we eventually got swooped up into the joy of it all and were definitely rooting for the Cubs and we were happy for Cubs fans.

But wow.. that goodwill is being really tested now. On every comment section from any news outlet that posts something Sox related its just an overwhelming amount of obnoxious Cubs fans trolling and talking every amount of crap. I've seen this in real life too, unfortunately. All the anti-Sox hate and trash talk sure makes them come off really insecure for a club coming off a Championship season.

So yea, now that they finally got that Championship I'm really done with them. I love baseball so no matter what I will enjoy watching good baseball when they're on TV. However, no way I'll be rooting for them this year. Cubs fans.. it's bad. Learn some humility and have some respect.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:12 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
When I visit Chicago, usually on weekends, I'm happy to see either team play, since they tend to alternate weekend home games. Wrigley is more festive, but at the Cell, the percentage of people who are actually WATCHING the game might just be higher. Just saying...

Old 03-31-2017, 11:00 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
When I visit Chicago, usually on weekends, I'm happy to see either team play, since they tend to alternate weekend home games. Wrigley is more festive, but at the Cell, the percentage of people who are actually WATCHING the game might just be higher. Just saying...
How does one measure that, and why does that matter?

Old 03-31-2017, 11:13 AM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Wrigley Field is a beer garden.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I feel like most people go to Wrigley to party and see the legendary stadium. And I know from experience and friends who aren't even baseball fans. They want to go to Wrigley, not the Cell. Sox games are cheap and more boring so I think it tends to draw better fans.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:08 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I feel like most people go to Wrigley to party and see the legendary stadium. And I know from experience and friends who aren't even baseball fans. They want to go to Wrigley, not the Cell. Sox games are cheap and more boring so I think it tends to draw better fans.
I get that, but I hear white sox fans say this "cubs fans go to get drunk blah blah", white sox are one of the worst drawing teams in all of baseball, I don't understand why it matters.

I'm neither a cubs or white sox fan for the record.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:15 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
I wish we had two football teams. I wish we had even one football team!

Old 03-31-2017, 11:32 PM

79 posts, read 95,545 times
I did not actively root for the Cubs during their run, but I was happy for my family and friends who are fans -- especially the ones who have been waiting a LONG time for it. Just wish my grandfather was around to see it.

For the most part, I don't have a problem with the hoopla around the Cubs. It's to be expected after winning a world series. I remember the Sox had a bit of a honeymoon after they won (though a short one, unfortunately). Though some of the stuff is a bit ridiculous, like David Ross (Dancing With the Stars, the movie they're basing off him, etc.). Great guy, but c'mon, he's a backup catcher...haha.

As for the comment sections urbanchillage was referring to, I've seen a bit of that as well. But I don't think much of it...there are trolls on both sides of town.

In any case, it's an exciting time for baseball. For obvious reasons if you're Cub fan. But, as a Sox fan, I can't remember being this excited before a season (minus the one after the world series). I know we're not going to be any good, but I can't wait to watch our young kids grow and develop.

Go-Go White Sox!

Old 04-02-2017, 09:42 PM

19 posts, read 13,474 times
From the heart of Boston, season home opener against the Pirates, will miss Big Pappi and still my favorite opening day pitcher John Lester. Routing for Lester to win the opener against the Cards but doesn't look like it's going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: