Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:50 PM

65 posts, read 215,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwest610 View Post
Certainly, Bridgeport has a long, often turbulent history. However, I completely agree that it seems to be more cosmopolitan than it once was. I wouldnt mind being a pioneer there at all. I went to realtor.com and looked at some of the housing there. Currently, there isnt much, but I presume that the inventory will increase in May. As for Bronzeville, I think its a great option. I have lots of friends there. Very insightful post. Thanks.
There has been discussion on Chinatown real estate market being controlled by chinese Realtor. After some research, I found that's also becoming the case of bridgeport as chinatown is pretty full now.

if you found a good Chinese realtor, you might get access on some bridgeport houses that's not on the web.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 28,294 times
Have you thought about university park?

Old 03-23-2008, 03:42 PM

20 posts, read 61,353 times
I am a twenty-something year old black male planning on moving to Chicago to work near downtown starting this summer. I was really exciting when I found out I had a chance to move to Chicago, but now the place is sounding like a concentration camp of ethnicities, which raises fears about me remaining an outcast...but that's another show. I have about mid $50'sk to work with annually.

Here is my wish list. I would like an area where other people ride bicycles and possibly has a bicycle shop. It would be nice to be near a food market where I could get whole fish and fresh vegetables. Oh yeah, and a place with some dance clubs. Is this possible? I'm don't do restaurants. I also grew up in married student housing environments, with Iranians, Brazilians, Indonesians, Nigerians, etc. so I would prefer to live a mixed neighbourhood, mainly because when I have lived outside mixed locales people look at me weird or treat me fairly hostilely for not liking their favourite restaurant, for cooking, for liking to dance, etc.

I have been reading the boards and it seems, Hyde Park, Uptown, and Kenwood would be my best bet.

I also plan on visiting Chicago in April to check out the scene.

thanks,
-MUER-

Old 03-23-2008, 03:44 PM

20 posts, read 61,353 times
And the question, what Chicago neighbourhood best exemplifies the above qualities?
-MUER-

Old 03-23-2008, 03:49 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
I think you should read over the Chicago posts, come here and visit, ask some questions on this board and then make up your mind for yourself. Just don't think you have to be constrained to any one area. You can basically move where you want.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default Upper middle class = $50M/year?

I am gonna get slammed for this post, but $50K is not upper middle class, even for a single person. Here is my breakdown for those living in Chicago.

Single:
up to 30M working class
30M-80M middle class
80-150M upper middle class
+150M wealthy

Married:
up to 50M working class
50M-100M middle class
100M-200M upper middle class
+200M wealthy

Married with Children (2):
up to 70M working class
70M-150M middle class
150M-250M upper middle class
+250M wealthy

Others, may have slightly different numbers, but I think few will see $50M as upper middle class, regardless of marital or child status.

And don't think of Chicago as "ethnic concentration camps" as there are many areas that are diverse and have a nice blend of all ethnicities as well as socio-economic groups.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:10 PM

863 posts, read 2,785,460 times
The OP (dwest610) is upper-middle class. muer wasn't claiming to be. He's just latching onto the thread to get further information.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:19 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Skye1974,

My bad. You are correct on this one.

Still, what do others think is middle class, etc?

Old 03-24-2008, 02:35 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
I think of the wealthy as those who could maintain their lifestyle indefinitely (or at least for many years) without having to work for income.

The middle class have to work to maintain their lifestyle. The middle class pretty much have their basic needs (food, clothing, shelter) met and taken for granted, and can even afford luxuries but must make trade-offs/sacrifices to do so. Those at the upper end can afford more luxuries with less sacrifice.

The lower-class/poor must struggle to meet their basic needs.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muer View Post
I am a twenty-something year old black male planning on moving to Chicago to work near downtown starting this summer. I was really exciting when I found out I had a chance to move to Chicago, but now the place is sounding like a concentration camp of ethnicities, which raises fears about me remaining an outcast...but that's another show. I have about mid $50'sk to work with annually.

Here is my wish list. I would like an area where other people ride bicycles and possibly has a bicycle shop. It would be nice to be near a food market where I could get whole fish and fresh vegetables. Oh yeah, and a place with some dance clubs. Is this possible? I'm don't do restaurants. I also grew up in married student housing environments, with Iranians, Brazilians, Indonesians, Nigerians, etc. so I would prefer to live a mixed neighbourhood, mainly because when I have lived outside mixed locales people look at me weird or treat me fairly hostilely for not liking their favourite restaurant, for cooking, for liking to dance, etc.

I have been reading the boards and it seems, Hyde Park, Uptown, and Kenwood would be my best bet.

I also plan on visiting Chicago in April to check out the scene.

thanks,
-MUER-
Muer, I say move right into the middle of Lincoln Park and make it more diverse (it's about 90% white right now, but African Americans certainly are there and don't turn heads). I hate to steer someone into a certain community based on their race or ethnicity. It's exactly this activity that leads to segregation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago