Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:13 PM

13 posts, read 67,689 times

Advertisements

I am a 36 yr old African American male. I am recently married and recently was hired for a job in the south suburbs of Chicago. In seaching for a place to live, I was very dissappointed with the lack of diversity in many of the southern suburbs. Orland Park, for example is a very nice suburb with the type of housing that I would like. However, it's nearly 100% caucasian. Similarly, Flossmoor and Homewood are nice suburbs with nice housing. However, they seem to be trending towrds becoming all Black (white-flight). I grew up in Hyde Park in Chicago, in a diverse pleasant community. I am hoping to have children soon and provide them with a similar childhood in the south suburbs. Is there any advice on this, or is this a hopeless cause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
Are you african or are you american. Ya can't be both.

Moderator cut: no personal attacks

OP: why not live in Hyde ParK? I don't know too much about the area (I just moved to Chicago 7 months ago), but I hear it's still pretty diverse

Last edited by jeannie216; 03-07-2008 at 09:26 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 02:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I agree with two basic points here:

1) Let's drop the semantics arguments for now. This isn't the P&OC forum and we all know damn well what the OP means.

2) Hyde Park is a good bet. I'd also check out Kenwood.

So here's my thoughts: maybe you could be a Bridgeport pioneer? Yes, Bridgeport has a history of downright hostility toward blacks, BUT... every time I go to Bridgeport to eat drink and be merry, there are black patrons (presumably from nearby Bronzeville) doing the same thing without being "mean-mugged" by the white patrons. Could be that they generally look like decent and classy people instead of 'hood trash... (Hell, sometimes they're even sitting together at the same table with white people! *gasp*) Cynicism aside, if diversity is what you're looking for, Bridgeport has it in many ways despite its undeserved reputation as a regressive Crackerville. It's about 40% white, 30% hispanic, 25% Asian (mostly Chinese as Chinatown is directly northeast) and about 5% other. It's about time someone started adding "black" to that "other."

If being a Bridgeport pioneer is more than you're willing to deal with and you don't want to be the only black family on your block, consider Bronzeville, only a few blocks away. The neighborhood is mostly black, but from there you have access to a tremendous variety of cultural experiences:
  • A mile to your north will be South Loop: generally white but an area where blacks and whites generally co-mingle
  • Two miles to your south will be Hyde Park, generally the most successful black/white integrated neighborhood in the city
  • A mile to your east will be Lake Michigan where you can commune with piscan-Americans
  • 3/4ths of a mile to your west will be a hodgepodge of Irish, Italian, Mexican and Chinese.
So while Bronzeville itself is not exceptionally diverse (though it's getting whiter), it's hard to beat for quick & convenient access to serious diversity.

Sorry if this post is a lot to take in...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,086 times
Check out Beverly on the far south side.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default Orland Park is nice

Dwest610,

Flossmor and Homewood are nice but as you noted becoming more black. Olympia Field also has a large black population and is very nice. The presense of black or white is not relevant, but what type of people are moving in. If it is buppies such as yourself (I see this as a good thing) moving in, the area will only get better. If it is ghetto people, regardless of race, moving in, the area will get worse. I see this in Chattam and Mattesson and Park Forest. It is the quality of the people moving in or out that will determine whether or not you want to move there. Orland Park is a great area, but as you noted very white, not heterogeneous. I am not sure how the whites in that community would treat a black person. In Barrington and Inverness, for example race doesn't appear to matter so long as you can afford to live there and do not disturb those around you with loud parties, etc. Naperville is nice too, but they tend to have a racist police department to prevent spillover from Bolingbrook. As a black man, you will be targetted in that area, regardless of how you dress or what car you drive. My handyman (black) actually took the police to court and won though no damages were awarded.

Hyde Park, Kenwood are great areas as is Oak Park and parts of Forest Park and all are very diverse. Bronzeville will be in the same category in 5-10 years in my prediction as it improves. If you are seeking a nice neighborhood with ample diversity definitely look at these areas. My favorite would be Oak Park as you get excellent public schools along with nice surroundings, diversity and open-minded (intellectual) people and nice housing stock. However, Oak Park may be a bit more than you want to drive depending on where you work.

If you were to tell us where you will be working more specific than south suburbs it would help us single out some neighborhoods that would fit your needs.

And dragoro, african-american or black, we know what his ethnicity is. African-American was actually a phrase first coined by Jesse Jackson in 1967 for those who care.

Good luck in your search.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Park Forest should be Oak Forest

Park Forest should be Oak Forest

Old 03-07-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Dwest610,

Flossmor and Homewood are nice but as you noted becoming more black. Olympia Field also has a large black population and is very nice. The presense of black or white is not relevant, but what type of people are moving in. If it is buppies such as yourself (I see this as a good thing) moving in, the area will only get better. If it is ghetto people, regardless of race, moving in, the area will get worse. I see this in Chattam and Mattesson and Park Forest. It is the quality of the people moving in or out that will determine whether or not you want to move there. Orland Park is a great area, but as you noted very white, not heterogeneous. I am not sure how the whites in that community would treat a black person. In Barrington and Inverness, for example race doesn't appear to matter so long as you can afford to live there and do not disturb those around you with loud parties, etc. Naperville is nice too, but they tend to have a racist police department to prevent spillover from Bolingbrook. As a black man, you will be targetted in that area, regardless of how you dress or what car you drive. My handyman (black) actually took the police to court and won though no damages were awarded.

Hyde Park, Kenwood are great areas as is Oak Park and parts of Forest Park and all are very diverse. Bronzeville will be in the same category in 5-10 years in my prediction as it improves. If you are seeking a nice neighborhood with ample diversity definitely look at these areas. My favorite would be Oak Park as you get excellent public schools along with nice surroundings, diversity and open-minded (intellectual) people and nice housing stock. However, Oak Park may be a bit more than you want to drive depending on where you work.

If you were to tell us where you will be working more specific than south suburbs it would help us single out some neighborhoods that would fit your needs.

And dragoro, african-american or black, we know what his ethnicity is. African-American was actually a phrase first coined by Jesse Jackson in 1967 for those who care.

Good luck in your search.
Very thoughtful response. I appreciate the input. Certainly, the type of person is MUCH more important than the ethnicity of the person. But beyond being good citizens, I'd like to have people of all walks of life in my neighborhood. This might have some quasi-socially liberal connotations. But that's fine with me. None the less, I appreciate your input...

By the way, I shouldnt have to respond in this post about Afircan American but I will... Briefly, in American English lexicon, African American has SEVERAL connotations. One can assume it to mean a person directly from Africa but is a naturalized American citizen. Alternatively, and most often, it can represent a person of African descent but is American born. I understand the implications of the phrase. We are indeed all American. However, we do have different historical cultural identities. In the same way that I identify myself as African American, another person could identify themselves as Mexican-American or Irish-American, or Native American.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I agree with two basic points here:

1) Let's drop the semantics arguments for now. This isn't the P&OC forum and we all know damn well what the OP means.

2) Hyde Park is a good bet. I'd also check out Kenwood.

So here's my thoughts: maybe you could be a Bridgeport pioneer? Yes, Bridgeport has a history of downright hostility toward blacks, BUT... every time I go to Bridgeport to eat drink and be merry, there are black patrons (presumably from nearby Bronzeville) doing the same thing without being "mean-mugged" by the white patrons. Could be that they generally look like decent and classy people instead of 'hood trash... (Hell, sometimes they're even sitting together at the same table with white people! *gasp*) Cynicism aside, if diversity is what you're looking for, Bridgeport has it in many ways despite its undeserved reputation as a regressive Crackerville. It's about 40% white, 30% hispanic, 25% Asian (mostly Chinese as Chinatown is directly northeast) and about 5% other. It's about time someone started adding "black" to that "other."

If being a Bridgeport pioneer is more than you're willing to deal with and you don't want to be the only black family on your block, consider Bronzeville, only a few blocks away. The neighborhood is mostly black, but from there you have access to a tremendous variety of cultural experiences:
  • A mile to your north will be South Loop: generally white but an area where blacks and whites generally co-mingle
  • Two miles to your south will be Hyde Park, generally the most successful black/white integrated neighborhood in the city
  • A mile to your east will be Lake Michigan where you can commune with piscan-Americans
  • 3/4ths of a mile to your west will be a hodgepodge of Irish, Italian, Mexican and Chinese.
So while Bronzeville itself is not exceptionally diverse (though it's getting whiter), it's hard to beat for quick & convenient access to serious diversity.

Sorry if this post is a lot to take in...
Certainly, Bridgeport has a long, often turbulent history. However, I completely agree that it seems to be more cosmopolitan than it once was. I wouldnt mind being a pioneer there at all. I went to realtor.com and looked at some of the housing there. Currently, there isnt much, but I presume that the inventory will increase in May. As for Bronzeville, I think its a great option. I have lots of friends there. Very insightful post. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwest610 View Post
Very thoughtful response. I appreciate the input. Certainly, the type of person is MUCH more important than the ethnicity of the person. But beyond being good citizens, I'd like to have people of all walks of life in my neighborhood. This might have some quasi-socially liberal connotations. But that's fine with me. None the less, I appreciate your input...
I was actually going to suggest Oak Park to you as well, since it seems to fit the kind of social environment you are looking for. I didn't because its probably a long drive to your job and not the kind of housing you are interested in. Still, if you are willing to give a bit on the commute and the backyard pool, its worth a look. Probably one of the most integrated communities in the metro area (not that we're perfect in this respect either).

Old 03-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Default Good Point regarding ethnicity

Dwest,

Great points about ethnicity. I am a mutt from Europe and just call myself white. I think it would be great to be able call myself Irish-American or German-American. In truth, I am a hybrid of both plus a bunch of other western european places. People can call themselves whatever they want and should take pride in who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago