Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM

155 posts, read 160,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

I think that there are two common reasons that some people in the City look down on people in the suburbs.

First, historically the suburbs were (and still are, in large part) places to raise children. People with young children have lives that revolve around young children and, realistically, young parents just do not do as much outside of the home as childless people do. That's just the reality of there only being so many hours in a day. The city people who criticism the suburbs as being boring are usually young, childless people. Of course parenting seems boring to them.

Second, for older people living in the city who look down on suburbanites, I think it's the lingering effect of "white flight" leaving a patina of racism on suburbanites, whether it's deserved or not barely matters, it's a stereotype that lingers. Part of that was extended past the period of "white flight" when it was common for suburbanites to be scared of the City. Not all suburbanites are scared of the city, of course, and I think that fear is less common these days. But it used to be fairly common for suburbanites to express fear about the city. And if you live somewhere and you feel safe there, you're going to look down on someone who is scared of where you live as being either cowardly or ignorant or both. That's just human nature.
This is really all it is, it's not complicated.

It doesn't feel expensive to me to live in the city, I feel like we get off easy compared to what it would cost to live in NY or CA. So I don't know that I would agree in order to live in the city people work more/hard/extra. Most people I know with professional white collar jobs have pretty flexible lives and schedules. I am a little biased given the field I'm in, since it allows me to work from home. But when I'm out during the day I see tons of people hanging out, for example I'm about to go for a run in a bit and I'm sure I won't be the only one on the trail. All those people can't be unemployed or on vacation, and since rush hour traffic seems to kick in around 3 rather than 5, I think most people do have pretty flexible, well paid jobs that allow this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 11:09 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,926,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Are you an expert on nature? I lived in Wisconsin as a kid it does not get any more rural than that and it was hell! That is what I hated about the burbs as well. SO boring in every single way. I could not wait to finally move to the city.
Clearly you're not as mentally attuned with the cycles of this world as I am. Many urban-dwellers enjoy working a fixed pattern, get up, work, eat, sleep. Rinse and repeat. Much of this time iso indoors in oppressive office environments. They go to the store and purchase their food, without much thought as to where it's came from. Information comes through a biased media filter, only those in the upper-echelons are afforded the opportunities to experience the world first hand. Many, especially in a declining city like Chicago, rarely get to see beyond the concrete jungle that they call home.

Outside of the city, the air is cleaner, the food is fresher, you observe the cycles of nature. Living among nature is the only truly independent lifestyle you can lead. I've lived periods of my life in the "wilderness". I caught my own food, made my own shelter. I didn't have to worry about bills or deadlines. I was my own boss. I didn't even have to worry about clothing, I tell you standing in a hilltop and watching the sunrise as the breeze touches your body is the only time that I have ever truly felt alive.

Even so, the menace of civilization is never far away. Contrails left by aircraft, roads cutting through forests, loggers, etc. This menace is what cut short my last natural experience. Reports of a "strange man wandering around the forests without any clothes" emerged. I came across a search party and offered to help them find this gentleman, after an hour or so of searching, it turned out that the person they were looking for was me.

Entire forests in the Midwest are now essentially restricted, since I am under curfew. Therefore I'm getting ready to head out to Alaska in the next year or so, where I hope I can live out the rest of my days in bliss, at one with nature, and free from the oppression of our tyrannical society.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:13 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green apple View Post
and since rush hour traffic seems to kick in around 3 rather than 5, I think most people do have pretty flexible, well paid jobs that allow this.
The reality with that statement is that those people leaving at 3 probably got to the office before 6am, and are probably employed in the trading industry.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:51 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Clearly you're not as mentally attuned with the cycles of this world as I am. Many urban-dwellers enjoy working a fixed pattern, get up, work, eat, sleep. Rinse and repeat.
And people who live in the suburbs don't do this? I moved to Chicago from the suburbs in Dallas, and I'm WAY more active here than I ever was living in the boring suburbs.

Suburb dwellers live in a schedule like this Monday - Friday:

6am: Wake up & take shower
7am: Eat a quick breakfast and see the kids off to school
7:30am: Leave for work in the car
8:30am Arrive at work
4:30pm: Leave for home
5:30pm: Arrive at home
6:30pm: Eat dinner
10:00pm: Sleep

And on the weekends it consists of going to Costco, the grocery store, messing with the lawn, washing the car, and just maybe if you are adventurous enough, seeing a movie or driving to the park. Once every few months you'll drive to the city to go to a museum. How mundane...

Weekends in the city are quite different because there are actually things to do in the city. I can do to an opera, a play, a comedy show, a concert, go to a museum, etc.

All of this being said, rural life is quite different. I lived rurally and I spent a LOT more time outside because being outside was the ONLY thing to do. No movies, no museums, nothing except for a Dollar General and the local mom & pop grocery store.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The reality with that statement is that those people leaving at 3 probably got to the office before 6am, and are probably employed in the trading industry.
Oh yikes. I hadn't considered that. That sucks. Well, at least they have their sweet, sweet money to show for it.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Weekends in the city are quite different because there are actually things to do in the city. I can do to an opera, a play, a comedy show, a concert, go to a museum, etc.
That all sounds incredibly boring to me. All pointless social constructs.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
And people who live in the suburbs don't do this? I moved to Chicago from the suburbs in Dallas, and I'm WAY more active here than I ever was living in the boring suburbs.

Suburb dwellers live in a schedule like this Monday - Friday:

6am: Wake up & take shower
7am: Eat a quick breakfast and see the kids off to school
7:30am: Leave for work in the car
8:30am Arrive at work
4:30pm: Leave for home
5:30pm: Arrive at home
6:30pm: Eat dinner
10:00pm: Sleep

And on the weekends it consists of going to Costco, the grocery store, messing with the lawn, washing the car, and just maybe if you are adventurous enough, seeing a movie or driving to the park. Once every few months you'll drive to the city to go to a museum. How mundane...

All of this being said, rural life is quite different. I lived rurally and I spent a LOT more time outside because being outside was the ONLY thing to do. No movies, no museums, nothing except for a Dollar General and the local mom & pop grocery store.
I love how there is a big gap with nothing in it between 6:30 and 10. ?????? Profit.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
That all sounds incredibly boring to me. All pointless social constructs.
Making excellent examples for why city folk don't like country folk. Different interests.

Although seems weird to take issue with "social constructs" given youre on a mildly obscure internet message board whose only function is to make social connections.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green apple View Post
Making excellent examples for why city folk don't like country folk. Different interests.

Although seems weird to take issue with "social constructs" given youre on a mildly obscure internet message board whose only function is to make social connections.
I'm not here to make friends. I'm on here to vet different areas as I plan on relocating in the near future, so far Alaska has me hooked.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not here to make friends. I'm on here to vet different areas as I plan on relocating in the near future, so far Alaska has me hooked.
Why were you considering Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago