Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:25 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it'll ever be a commercial titan like up north, but Bronzeville/Douglas has so much going for it still: location by the lake, multiple train line stops, ITT Tech and the student body, Kenwood/Hyde Park a few miles south east, South Loop and downtown just a few miles north, a lot of expensive housing, a black middle and upper income class, low'ish crime numbers relative to most south side neighborhoods, relatively easy parking, cheap rental prices, etc. If any south side neighborhood is ripe for taking off, it's got to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 PM

504 posts, read 495,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I don't know if it'll ever be a commercial titan like up north, but Bronzeville/Douglas has so much going for it still: location by the lake, multiple train line stops, ITT Tech and the student body, Kenwood/Hyde Park a few miles south east, South Loop and downtown just a few miles north, a lot of expensive housing, a black middle and upper income class, low'ish crime numbers relative to most south side neighborhoods, relatively easy parking, cheap rental prices, etc. If any south side neighborhood is ripe for taking off, it's got to be there.
I agree with you on Bronzeville/Douglas. I'm unsure about Washington Park area and Woodlawn. What are your thoughts on those ever coming up? I'm looking at buying a place at 61st/Langley.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I reckon if the city ever got around to extending the Green Line to the Metra Electric station and Metra Electric became a rapid transit service along the lines of the Chicago Crossrails plan, then the area would probably get a strong jump in desirability and development. Has anyone heard anything promising in regards to either of these happening though?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:43 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default In a word...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I reckon if the city ever got around to extending the Green Line to the Metra Electric station and Metra Electric became a rapid transit service along the lines of the Chicago Crossrails plan, then the area would probably get a strong jump in desirability and development. Has anyone heard anything promising in regards to either of these happening though?
...NO.

The current administration has expressed only a desire to cut mass transit -- https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...t?oid=26015589

I personally think that it is rather obvious that places in Chicago that have good access to transit have done much better than those without such access. Apparently that logic is not as strong as the desire to feud with inner cities over other issues...

Old 08-09-2017, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 11,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
I agree with you on Bronzeville/Douglas. I'm unsure about Washington Park area and Woodlawn. What are your thoughts on those ever coming up? I'm looking at buying a place at 61st/Langley.
I'm very familiar with this area because I have lived in Bronzeville for 10 years. I think Woodlawn will come up but it'll be another 5-10 years before it gets to where Bronzeville currently sits. It's progressing very slowly. But the fact that they are building homes priced at 600k is a very good sign of things to come. I think now is a good time to get in while it's still cheap. Bronzeville has skyrocketed in terms of what the homes are going for. I paid $300k for my house (new) 10 years ago. You can't get a house in Bronzeville now (new) for less than 450k. I think Woodlawn is headed for a similar boost with U of C controlling much of the land and the Obama library coming. It'll just take time.

61st and Langley is ok. Not the best but not the worst either. The biggest issue is all the low income housing right there at 63rd and Cottage. It's all new so it looks beautiful but you don't know who lives there. Most people are good but it just takes one person to make life difficult. There's like 4 plus buildings right together and there are plans for another one right over the 63rd street L station. Parkway Gardens is also a huge issue for the community. That's right down the way from 61st. I would live there but I'm familiar with area and have no fear of being in the hood. It all depends on your comfort level. Drive by the area at various times, walk the streets with the people. Most people say stay east of Cottage but I've been around 61st and Langley tons of times and never had an issue or felt unsafe. There's alot of buildings though which could mean lots of renters. You wanna try and find out who owns these properties and if they are living there. Not that all renters are bad.. you just never know. You wanna try and find out as much info as you can before you move.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:17 AM

When incidents like these grab the headlines it makes it all but impossible for even the most optimistic investors to make any progress -- Mass shooting at Bronzeville barbecue near CPD headquarters leaves 7 shot, 1 fatally | abc7chicago.com

The details suggest that only one of the victims had any prior criminal past but that still means six other people got shot. Not a good ratio...

Old 08-10-2017, 06:03 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post

What you should avoid is the mentality that you would be walled-in in Hyde Park or that other parts of the city are hostile to outsiders. It ain't necessarily so, but you should know about the city before you go exploring. A lot about city neighborhoods will be explained to you in orientation.
This was the mentality we had as students a very long time ago, both undergrad and graduate alike.

Things have improved dramatically since then, but frankly, the entire area is still sketchy. You need to keep your wits about you. What I remember most is how we all kept time; every hour approaching darkness meant knowing intrinsically where not to be.

Other people in this thread have done a wonderful job of explaining things to you, OP. I will add this: you will receive formal advice upon arrival, as a part of your orientation. Listen very carefully, because while the information is useful, it will be heavily coded.

The real source of advice will come from your fellow students. Listen to them and listen very carefully. Getting into and out of the University's demesne is tricky business, and I don't care what anyone else says. Always go in a group. If you have to return, and it is late, take a taxi or uber your way back to campus. If you cannot do this, then you simply cannot attend whatever event is pulling you out (likely on the northside).

I received both of my degrees from UC, and although I treasure my time (and status, let's be honest) spent there, it is a lot like living on a compound. You can expect police to actually be helpful, which was not the case when I was there. "Back in my day" getting to and from campus-- if you didn't have your own car-- required adherence to a very strict schedule. Like I said, even now, the hours of the day will dictate where you do and do not want to be.

For the most part, UC exists as an island, which is actually true of most of Chicago-- each block is a world unto itself. You do not necessarily need to fear violent crime, but you do need to be concerned with things like breaking and entry, being mugged (if you stray too far), or any of strangers that exist to grift students. The South Side is not a non-stop murder spree. It's just that when **** hits the fan, it really really hits the fan.

Finally, pay attention to who belongs and who doesn't. This is just general advice for living in a city. But you will quickly find that it is very clear who belongs in that setting and who does not. If someone is just standing someplace and they just set off that "out of place" feeling, trust your instincts and avoid them. Keep your eye on them, but avoid them.

Also, and this is random but true, at some point you will find yourself at a party you were invited to by other students. It will include your colleagues and others. Do not follow anyone anywhere unless you know them and you know where you are going. This is just one of those things that happens, like a universal experience, and I want you to be aware of it.

You are not moving into a war zone, but you are moving into a very troubled setting with depressed economic circumstances, a proven history of violent crime, and civil/social unrest.

Just remember that it could be worse: you could be at Northwestern.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Well, I can state that it is sage advice to know where you are going. However, do not let the confines of Hyde Park be your limit. You will need to check out things like the Stony Island Arts Bank which is easily reachable from the campus by bus but it is not in Hyde Park.

Get your urban skills about you. Wear your game face. You would be cheating yourself and your education if you explore no more of the south side than Hyde Park.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:15 AM

Default Largely agree with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Well, I can state that it is sage advice to know where you are going. However, do not let the confines of Hyde Park be your limit. You will need to check out things like the Stony Island Arts Bank which is easily reachable from the campus by bus but it is not in Hyde Park.

Get your urban skills about you. Wear your game face. You would be cheating yourself and your education if you explore no more of the south side than Hyde Park.
When I worked in Hyde Park / Kenwood and lived in the area I learned lots of about the various areas adjacent to Hyde Park. I also was pretty savvy about how to use the arterials to get to and from various other parts of the city. The relative level of potential hassles traveling on surface streets early in the morning or really anytime before lunch on weekends was far different that doing when there were more troublesome folks wandering about.

For students who often have a schedule that includes some "downtime" early in the day THAT is the most sensible time to expand you reach into areas that would be far more threatening in the evening.

Years and years ago when there was a very different mix of employment and economic factors in play there were vibrant parts of Chicago that were far removed from the current focus on northside and downtown shopping and entertainment but the sad fact is that no politicians have really made any progress in getting back that kind of environment...

Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
If you have to return, and it is late, take a taxi or uber your way back to campus. If you cannot do this, then you simply cannot attend whatever event is pulling you out (likely on the northside).
The Metra Electric runs kind of late, until 12:50 a.m. on weekdays I think. The areas around the Metra Electric stops in Hyde Park are pretty safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago