Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:09 PM

123 posts, read 119,850 times

Advertisements

There is so much talk about why people are leaving Chicago crime, taxes, cost of living. I am not sure I want to leave for those reasons I am searching for happiness. I am not sure if 15 years ago when I lived in san diego and Hawaii spoiled me but ever since I have missed the ocean and having more things to do.

For instance in the summer what are we suppose to do here? I have all these things I do once a year to remind me I should never do them again but end up doing them again for example going to starved rock not worth the drive but where else can I go for a nice hike, great america, drive out to lake geneva. Even chicagos weekend getaways Door County, Wisconsin Dells, St. Joseph I am not sure they are worth the drive they are not that great. If you live in the city you have to drive 1.5 hours to go strawberry picking. Is it to hard to get out of chicago when you want to? I like the city life but I like to get away sometimes the traffic makes you change any plans to drive out somewhere on the weekend. The traffic gives me anxiety.

There is one place I really like and go a couple times a year that is indiana sand dunes I think it is a great beach. But other places in the country have so much more to do.

Is there anyone else on here that has reasons for wanting to leave chicago like being depressed or unhappy for reasons other than what people keep talking about crime, taxes, cost of living.

What keeps you here if you are unhappy? Family?

I want to move out of chicago because it gives me anxiety and depression.

I want to move to florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 PM

190 posts, read 405,368 times
Have you ever been to Florida during the months of May-November? Misery,

Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 PM

I want to tampa area three times in the last 2 years and it was not in the hottest months. I have been to new orleans in the summer and remember having to walk around with a towel to wipe face. YOu can get a house around 150,000 in tampa bay I am thinking I would have a pool.

I am still open to other places but you can only visit so many I would like to see charleston S.C.

But I really have been focusing on Tampa maybe I would go one more time in the summer and look at houses.

Chicago gets pretty humid but we have been lucky lately.

My wife is not super excited about it she fell in love with the beaches but she is worried about jobs. I am the one pushing for it. we have no kids yet.

MY family that is still in chicago lives in far suburbs I hardly see, my grandparents moved out of state 20 years ago when retired to somewhere with lower cost of living other family left chicao for colorado.

A lot of the things chicago has urban wise tampa offers just on smaller scale.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
I love Chicago. And I always told myself I would die here.

But as I grew and visited places, I realized there are some pretty badass spots in this world.

Just look at the northwest.
San Fran, Seattle, Portland.

There's TONS to do.
Town after town after town.
Nature, mountains, pine trees, rivers, ocean, scenic drives,cliffs.

Hours from deserts, snow, lush green, lakes, oceans, etc etc etc

In Chicago we're so used to just living on our block.
There's seriously people who going to the suburbs is a big deal.
We are stuck in an island known as Chicagoland.
there's nothing a couple hours from here.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:37 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoRE View Post
Have you ever been to Florida during the months of May-November? Misery,
Florida is hell with the heat and humidity! No wonder my friend wants to move here from there so bad. I told him it gets real bad there too though

Old 06-28-2017, 07:42 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
I really liked the St. Petersburg area in Florida. It was more crowded than I really like, but there were many places where you could get away from the crowds, too. My husband and I spent a day hanging out on a pier, watching dolphins, birds, and people fishing. It was relaxing.

My son lives in Charleston, SC. Very nice place. The huge palmetto bugs take a little getting used to! It doesn't sound like a big deal but when you wake up with them crawling on your face, it's unpleasant. We lived in Beaufort, SC for a while and I liked it there, too. Much smaller than Charleston, of course.

If I could live anywhere without cost being a factor, I'd definitely choose the Big Island of Hawaii. I loved it there. Expensive, though.

I don't know how Chicagoans manage the traffic. I used to drive down to Chicago weekly for work and it made me want to cry. I'd park in the garage on Michigan Avenue by The Four Seasons and have to just sit in my car for 20 minutes to get my heart rate down.

It's true, though, that the grass is always greener on the other side.There is no perfect place. Sometimes after you leave an area that you really felt unhappy in, you get homesick for it down the line. I didn't think we'd ever leave SC because I love the ocean so much and hate being away from it. But my husband's job was here in WI and all our family is here.

Wishing you the best. (I reread my post and I sound kind of Debbie Downer. I have a headache. It's been raining here for weeks now and I'm a little grumpy! Forgive any negativity, please.)

Old 06-29-2017, 05:57 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
oh Nicci, some of the regular posters on this forum are WAY worse. You really don't sound like a Debbie Downer to me. We all go through times like that.

I lived in the suburbs for 17 years and moved back to the city 2 years ago. I am so much happier now. I live on the north side and can walk to my job. I've lost a lot of weight, I'm more social. I get out to the theater way more than I ever did before. I would like to live by the ocean some day, but not in the south. I doubt that I'll ever be able to afford to live in CA or along the east coast.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:24 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Those endless walks along the beach sound great until you do them day after day after day....

Hey, I love cheesecake, but if I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday, I'd probably throw up and never want cheesecake again. Not suggesting you shouldn't follow your dreams, just make sure it's really what you want.

To answer your question, I think the main reason people feel stuck somewhere is due to family/friends and their job. If none of those hold you back, go for it! You can always come back, like I did.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
So, you can't think of anything to do in Chicago in the summer? Do you not like theater? It can be expensive, but there are several good little theaters that are not expensive. What about music? There is so much music in Chicago of many different types? What about art? What about Chicago's lakefront? I walked on the lakefront all the time when I lived in Chicago even in the winter.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:53 PM

there is things do to in chicago in the summer i think the lake is beautiful but there are some problems

1. you should not go swimming in montrose beach why? dog beach to north bird poop to south .

2. if you live by where i do near irving and montrose and want to go to north ave beach if you drive you may have to poay 30 dollars to park at lincoln park zoo if you use public transportation it can take 45 minutes or longer to get there.

I really like what i call urban hiking so I do plan on going to the river walk dowtown and seeing the scupltures along the river walk and looking at the buildings.

I think its more like what do you do for a weekend getaway in chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago