Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times

Advertisements

I generally make over 40,000.00 and would love to live in Lakeview but cannot afford it. But then you said you will have someone to share the rent and stuff so that is the difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:51 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As others have mentioned. First, make sure you and your friend have a job lined up before relocating. It would make more sense to be financially stable and have some savings before moving to a major city. Once you are financially stable, you can actually enjoy all the benefits of living in a city like Chicago.
The problem with this idea is that they are looking for low wage jobs and low wage jobs don't hire people from out of state. Unless they have some very specialized skills, I don't see how this can work. I know people with college degrees working low wage jobs ranging from minimum wage retail work to jobs that pay slightly more (around $15-17/hour) but not truly enough to live and enjoy the city. Honestly, part of the reason I moved out of Chicago was because I wasn't finding the kind of jobs I want considering the degrees I have (granted, I'm looking in highly specialized fields, so YMMV), but even with a BA, I only managed to pull in about $32K/year. I was living in East Garfield Park at the time so I have no clue how far $32K gets you in Lakeview in 2017.

OP, assuming you get a minimum wage job, you would be making less than $15K/year after taxes, and that's assuming you can find a full time job and don't have to pay much out of pocket for health insurance. Then you have to factor in CTA passes, bills (including hefty heating bills in the winter if heat isn't included in the rent), and food and in the end you aren't left with much cash to actually enjoy living in Lakeview. 75% or more of your income can easily be spent towards just basic necessities.

West Lakeview, back when I lived there around 6-7 years ago, was much cheaper than Lakeview east of Ashland/Roscoe (mainly because it's a longer walk/bus ride to the train), but I'm sure that's changed by now.

Honestly, I don't see the point of living in a place you can't fully enjoy or living paycheck to paycheck, but that's up to you, OP. First things first, find a job; this will dictate if you can actually afford to live in Lakeview.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 AM

171 posts, read 190,311 times
Most common formula is to multiply your rent by 2-3x, If you don't make at minimum that amount net (after taxes/health care) then you can't afford it.

Also owning a car in the city VS Public transit makes a HUGE difference in your monthly expenses !!!

CD84

Old 07-19-2017, 11:15 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
You're in your twenties. Do it. If anything, if life gets too hard it will force you to do what it takes to live there. This is generally what happens to people in high price cities in the first place, at any age. Either they do what it takes to live there, or they leave and find a cheaper city. You would be in the Midwest, which is already cheaper, so cheaper areas in the city or a cheaper city like say, St. Louis, would not be hard to find. Much easier than if you were on either Coast.

Make sure you can afford it by yourself though. You never know if you'll have a falling out with the friend and then you're on someone's couch, or some strange person is on your couch. Whatever. That splitting the rent thing rarely works for long. Depends on your friend though; I've seen it go either way. Particularly with family but that's another topic.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:54 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
You're in your twenties. Do it. If anything, if life gets too hard it will force you to do what it takes to live there. This is generally what happens to people in high price cities in the first place, at any age. Either they do what it takes to live there, or they leave and find a cheaper city. You would be in the Midwest, which is already cheaper, so cheaper areas in the city or a cheaper city like say, St. Louis, would not be hard to find. Much easier than if you were on either Coast.

Make sure you can afford it by yourself though. You never know if you'll have a falling out with the friend and then you're on someone's couch, or some strange person is on your couch. Whatever. That splitting the rent thing rarely works for long. Depends on your friend though; I've seen it go either way. Particularly with family but that's another topic.
But isn't it worse with a roommate because you have to pay higher rent due to needing an extra room?

Old 07-19-2017, 12:02 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
But isn't it worse with a roommate because you have to pay higher rent due to needing an extra room?
Adding a bedroom usually doesn't double the rent.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:10 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
If can't afford that premium you've got bigger problems.

Make sure you've got a few months rent saved up, you never know when you need a hotel room or you need to move. Things get complicated. It's good for the first year or so because you're learning a new city. Then people get complacent. Someone gets in a relationship. Someone starts paying their half of the rent late. Stuff happens.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:04 PM

796 posts, read 931,673 times
Lakeview is NOTa cheap neighborhood. I would not suggest it if you're not making decent money.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:29 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Wow. If you can't do the math and figure this out on your own, I don't think you'll last long in Chicago. You are SPLITTING the rent and costs in HALF with a roommate. The extra bedroom is less than double so you come out ahead. The sharing of the living spaces and kitchen and bath are where the cost savings come from.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:03 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

Great post!
If it doesn't work out and you have to move back to where you came from or elsewhere - so what?
What about initially trying to find rooms to rent rather than getting your own place?
Be humble.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 07-20-2017 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago