Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,857 times

Advertisements

As someone who lived in New York his whole life until moving here two months ago, I can tell you that NYC ain't all peaches and cream. People watch shows like Friends or Sex and the City and they think New York is all fashionable, safe Manhattan neighborhoods populated by the young, successful and attractive. It's not. There are five boroughs in the city and still plenty of crappy neighborhoods. In a way, the city's image has done a complete 180 from the urban blight apocalyptica of the 1970s, the truth, really, lies somewhere in-between.

If you live in a nice neighborhood - and in Chicago they are much more affordable - the crime difference between NYC and Chicago is not noticeable. Furthermore, while Chicago has not experienced the nearly unbelievable decline in crime that NYC has seen, crime has been steadily declining for the past decade or so. It's also a pet peeve of mine when people say the city is, or ever was, the "murder capital." It's true that one year (was it 2003? I forget) recently it led the nation in number of murders, but its the third most-populous city, so all that really tells you is it had more murder than NYC and LA. It no longer has the highest murder count, and in terms of rate it wasn't especially high even then; the murder rate is easily in the bottom half among cities with over 500k.

Chicago could work on reducing its crime rate, but its hardly out-of-control. Also, please don't expect the place to be New York - there's some similarities, but it's not New York. That's not a knock on Chicago, they're just different and you should expect that.

All in all, please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you ought to visit and not base your impressions on internet message boards and Google Maps.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,887 times
Default Chicago is a great city

Chicago is a neighborhood based city. Like a lot of "mini-cities" wrapped into one mega city. Each neighborhood is so different.

The downtown, Gold Coast, Magnificient Mile on N Michigan, Streeterville, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Edgewater, Andersonville, Lincoln Square - all fabulous places to live. I also like Uptown and Rogers Park although parts are a little more sketchy.

Like any city, we have poor neighborhoods. You certainly won't feel threatened in the areas I mentioned above.

Yes. Poverty does break one's heart. It is sad. However, it is a part of all large American cities.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Ditto what everyone else has said.

Seriously though, sounds like the OP needs to spend some time in Chicago. Im sure that they will come away like every other person Ive ever known has.... in awe. Sure there is high crime and poverty in many areas, but there are also many areas of the city that are extremely wonderful. The downtown area is 2nd to none, and the suburbs are, IMO, the best in the nation. Like I always say, there is a good reason that there are 8-9 million people in Chicagoland. They wouldnt be here if there wasnt something to take pride in.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,511,521 times
Wasn't Chicago just rated the #1 best place to open up a business? Or something of that relm. I heard or read in the Sun Times I think that Chicago had the most number of companies locating into it, out of all major metro areas in the US even higher than in NY and the sunbelt states! I would see that as bringing a whole new light to Chicago by bringing in more $$$, jobs, tax revenue, more people, etc.

Last edited by NYrules; 03-12-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Wasn't Chicago just rated the #1 best place to open up a business? Or something of that relm. I heard or read in the Sun Times I think that Chicago had the most number of companies located in it, out of all major metro areas in the US even higher than in NY and the sunbelt states! I would see that as bringing a whole new light to Chicago by bringing in more $$$, jobs, tax revenue, more people, etc.
If its the article Im thinking of, it had to do with corporate relocations and expansion projects in the metro, which Chicago leads the nation... by a long shot. Living out here in the western burbs I have seen an explosion of new corporations coming to town. Ive seen Microsoft, BP Amoco, Office Max, etc, pop up around here, and the IL Tech Corridor has been booming with new buildings. Is that what youre thinking of?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,511,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
If its the article Im thinking of, it had to do with corporate relocations and expansion projects in the metro, which Chicago leads the nation... by a long shot. Living out here in the western burbs I have seen an explosion of new corporations coming to town. Ive seen Microsoft, BP Amoco, Office Max, etc, pop up around here, and the IL Tech Corridor has been booming with new buildings. Is that what youre thinking of?
If it is the one that had the little chart and showed NY being like number 7 or 8??? That is the one.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
If it is the one that had the little chart and showed NY being like number 7 or 8??? That is the one.
This is the study.

TOP METROS OF 2007 -- Site Selection magazine, March 2008

Life at the Top

Chicago captures the Top Metro crown for the third straight year.

by RON STARNER
ron.starner bounce@conway.com

Chicago easily captured its third consecutive No. 1 spot in Site Selection's annual Top Metropolitan Areas ranking.

Chicago's victory – its third consecutive win and sixth in the last seven years – was so dominant that its project count more than doubled runner-up metro Cincinnati and accounted for the vast majority of Illinois' 362 facility announcements statewide.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:53 PM

442 posts, read 790,709 times
Ah, thanks a lot for the great response guys. I guess I did jump the gun on that issue. I know for a fact that crime in Chicago isn't festering; It's just that my first impression of Chicago was how tightly packed it seemed in comparison to New York. You can practically walk for miles in Queens without stepping into a sketchy neighborhood even once. In Chicago (again, it's just my naïve impression), it seems like you can practically walk right into a bad neighborhood even by accident if you're not careful...

Old 03-12-2008, 04:00 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
Well it isn't like you're walking down Mich Ave and all the sudden you cross the street and there are crack houses and ghetto defender cars. Sometimes it SEEMS that way but it's usually to someone who isn't paying attention. You start to see signs that an area your approaching isn't good news. Once me and my mom were walking in the city on Chicago Ave...but we walked down a bit too far and it got really sketchy. There's like a transition area...you know...It's easier to see this walking than driving though. There were times we missed our stop on the bus and in no time were in a bad hood, but you know, you get over it. There was one time we were on the bus and when my mom realized she missed her stop a few stops back, the busdriver said to her "I wouldn't get off here if I were you. Just stay on until we get to the end of the line." You can't walk around clueless and an open target. You definately have to be streetsmart...but not everyone is out to get ya either. I have a hard time believing NY isn't the same way. I think the books and internet research has spooked you. Come on out for a visit!

Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I have a hard time believing NY isn't the same way. I think the books and internet research has spooked you. Come on out for a visit!

The OP mystifies me so I don't even know how to respond to his post other than to say I think he's very confused and needs to get a bit of a clue about Chicago beyond looking at google 'streetview' (which is a ridiculous way to get a feel for a city). However, NYC is of course the same way, I've been to nice parts of NYC and not so nice parts of NYC and they are often very close to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago