Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Chicagoans wish the city were located on the East Coast?
Yes 10 17.86%
No 46 82.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:36 PM

944 posts, read 1,211,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
If Chicago was in a warmer location somewhere on the east coast, it would easily have a population of 4-5 million people. I think the winter months affect Chicago's image in a negative way. It would also make the EC much more of a destination than it already is.
I mean

would it be Chicago in the first place then?

Chicago is Chicago because it's Chicago. The city you are describing is like Miami or Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,104,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I'll second this. I actually really like the Midwest, probably because I was born and raised here. I like that when I drive home to my family in Kansas, once you get outside of Chicago, the land kind of opens up. Big skies and beautiful Midwestern farmland. I'm not a fan of the dense forests and heavy population density of the Northeast.

I like how Chicago crushes a lot of stereotypes about life in the Midwest. It did for me personally.

I think Chicago likes being in the Midwest too. I know the city is in love with Lake Michigan.
I'll third this. Midwest transplant by way of New Jersey/metro NYC.

I love this part of the country and if I didn't live in Columbus, Chicago would be my first choice to live by far. In general the Midwest offers a great balance of urban amenities with reasonable cost of living and accessibility.

Give me Lake Michigan any day over the Hudson River.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:55 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Chicago is the capital city of the Midwest and developed when the Midwest was the wealthiest and fastest-growing region of the country, from about 1870 to 1930.

If Chicago were located somewhere that already had a capital city, like the east coast (New York), it would be much smaller since the east coast doesn't need two huge financial centers.

I don't particularly love the Midwest but if I have to live in it, Chicago is the only city I really want to be in. I live in California in the winters.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:27 AM

390 posts, read 390,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Chicago is the capital city of the Midwest and developed when the Midwest was the wealthiest and fastest-growing region of the country, from about 1870 to 1930.

If Chicago were located somewhere that already had a capital city, like the east coast (New York), it would be much smaller since the east coast doesn't need two huge financial centers.

I don't particularly love the Midwest but if I have to live in it, Chicago is the only city I really want to be in. I live in California in the winters.
TO ME on a map Chicago looks more like the mideast, than the Midwest just saying

Old 08-17-2017, 02:51 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,842,554 times
I always thought Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington wished they could just pick up and move to the Middle West.

I mean, why wouldn't they.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:08 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
TO ME on a map Chicago looks more like the mideast, than the Midwest just saying
San Francisco doesn't really look like the West, either, and London doesn't look like the rest of England. Capital cities differ from their hinterlands.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:06 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I always thought Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington wished they could just pick up and move to the Middle West.

I mean, why wouldn't they.
Because there are far more advantages to being on the coastline than being stuck in the middle of the country. But sarcasm noted.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,457,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Because there are far more advantages to being on the coastline than being stuck in the middle of the country. But sarcasm noted.
That's a matter of opinion.
Clearly it's yours and clearly it's not for the millions that like their lives in the middle of the country.

If you took the time to read through some threads, you'd find that there are actually people from the northeast that willingly moved to the Midwest and like it there better.

People have different wants in life.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:01 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
No, it wouldn't be Chicago then.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:21 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,411,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm not sure "stuck in the middle of the country" is an accurate way of describing Chicago. I mean, if you're describing its people, in the modern era of transportation, no one in this country is "stuck." If you're meaning strategic location, Chicago's location (which is actually on the water and at the confluence of many of the most important railways and interstates) is probably why it's larger than any other city on the East Coast that isn't New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago